Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cavernous caves?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 12:38 PM

Can you purchase any of those in Baja? Is it a biz?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 12:51 PM
We spent the night

outside the village after exploring the area around town, sharing stories with the locals, eating and learning about the cuevas in that area. The guides were of course related in some way or another so we had a pretty good time to say the least.

In the morning, we drove to the base of a mountain/mesa/butte to the northwest and donned our packs, water, GPS and camera stuff and started to climb. There was a well used animal trail and as we climbed, the newest of our guides was showing me all the different edible plants. Personally, I was glad we had modern day botanas because those old guys palates musta sure been different than mine!:barf:

We take a branch off the main path to a smaller cave which was littered with animal bones and evidence of many a feast. This is why the guides are always happy when I bring the dogs!

We then arrive at the top of a hill and look down into this big ol cave at the top of the mountain. There are wild onions growing everywhere (cebolla de los cerros) I think they were called, and this garden hadn't been tended in a LONG time. Unfortunately, the "second harvest" would probably have tasted better.

We climb down into the cave and there is this spring. At the top of a mountain? I found this mighty peculiar but the dogs loved it. There was evidence of people living there with scraped up metates (primitive) and the fact that there was indoor plumbing probably made it prime property, back in the day.

There were no scrapings, paintings or any other evidence of signs of the past besides the scraped stones but this area is located near civilization and the cave itself is exposed to the elements. Nevertheless, when you are in the caves down there, in the heart and historyof a past civilization, it is hard not to get the heebie jeebies when yer inem!!!:o

And I love it!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 01:21 PM
Shop 2

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 01:22 PM
Shop 3

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 01:24 PM
Shop 4

TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 01:35 PM
Thanks JR!

Very cool travel log and pics. Please post more when you can.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 01:39 PM
JR my Man!

This is the kind of post only you can treat us to and you do it so well.
You were doing stuff like this once before and then you stopped---please do not stop this time around because you have so much to share.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 02:50 PM

LOVE the new avatar Bernie;D

Jr, can u buy this stuff? Is this a livelyhood for some?

[Edited on 8-21-2005 by Sharksbaja]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 03:23 PM
Yep

There's a store in Santa Rita that carries some crafts from the hills. There's also one in La Paz from what I hear but I don't know the name.

We just sorta stumbled across this herreria in the middle of what we thought was nowhere and placed the orders. Had the tools the next afternoon.
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 02:37 PM
wow

Now that's some great Baja exploring!!! What area were photos 2 and 3 taken? Sierra de la giganta, sierra de la laguna?

Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 02:52 PM

Great shots jr...

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 06:03 PM
Cincodemayo

I've been looking at your signature for a long time and I always wonder why not--just get happy????

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 08:14 PM

Interesting stuff, JR.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.