Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mulege Fishing Report- Aug. 22
Mexrick
Junior Nomad

Mood: Still a bit soggy!!!

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 07:47 AM
Mulege Fishing Report- Aug. 22

We had another beautiful week here in Paradise! Fishing was pretty darn good although you had to get off the water by noon or so to avoid the 100-degree temperatures we've been having in the early afternoon. The heat didn't stop Richard Pleger, however, who went out with John Dinning last Sunday and hooked up with his first sailfish. He brought the 100 lb. plus fish to the boat after a good fight on the part of the fish. Congratulations Rich!

Also on Sunday, Bill Havig and Rafael Cuesta Meza were dragging lures off Muleg? when a huge marlin nailed the feather. Bill fought the fish for over a half an hour and then had to turn the rod over to Rafael. Raf continued to fight the fish for another three and a half hours but the fish apparently died and could not be brought to the surface. After seeing the fish jump numerous times, they estimated the weight of the fish to be well over 200 lbs. Too bad guys. It's a real shame not to be able to release a good fish like that.

On Tuesday, John Dinning and John Haberman went out but could not find any bait so they did what all persistent yellowtail fishermen do... they yo-yoed. The Johns went north of Isla San Marcos in about 230 ft. of water to try their luck. They were rewarded with two nice 'tails for their efforts. They told me that they also got into some white bonita in the same area. Now that's a great fish either smoked or canned! Those little tuna are delicious. Thanks for the info guys. I'll try to knock a hole in their numbers soon.

The local guides have been scoring pretty well this week as their clients have been bringing in quite a few yellowtail and dorado. The 'tails are in the depths, usually near Isla San Marcos or off Punta Chivato while the dorado are a bit more scattered. Most are in the San Marcos area but a lot are being boated straight out from Muleg? or out from Isla Santa Inez. All three spots are good producers right now. My favorite spot, The Triangle, which is just north of Point Concepci?n, has been especially productive. The Bajos curve in right there so there is a lot of food from the upwellings that are prevalent in that area.

I haven't received reports of any leopard grouper being caught but that's probably because not many people are here and the few that are are not targeting them. A few of us, however, have been having a lot of fun pulling some very large triggerfish from 80-85 feet of water about a mile or two off the beach between Point Concepci?n and Punta Aguja. These are HUGE triggers, some going a couple of kilos each (that's a SWAG since we didn't weight them).

Generally speaking, there is no shortage of fish, just a shortage of fishermen. Yellowtail and dorado are biting as are the roosterfish, triggers and "cabrilla" if you target them. As the old saying goes..."You can't catch fish if your worm ain't wet!"

Sea ya on the water... and don't forget about the Mulege Classic Tournament's Fall Yellowtail Tournament coming up November 11-13. Details at www.mulegeclassictournaments.com

Rick - MeT
Live Where You Play
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 07:53 AM

Thank you, thank you Rick

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexrick

Also on Sunday, Bill Havig and Rafael Cuesta Meza were dragging lures off Muleg? when a huge marlin nailed the feather. Bill fought the fish for over a half an hour and then had to turn the rod over to Rafael. Raf continued to fight the fish for another three and a half hours but the fish apparently died and could not be brought to the surface. After seeing the fish jump numerous times, they estimated the weight of the fish to be well over 200 lbs. Too bad guys. It's a real shame not to be able to release a good fish like that.

OK help me out here all you fisherman. I have had trouble getting live fish to come up but has any one ever had trouble getting a dead fish to the surface.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 09:01 AM

Gee , a four hour struggle and 100 degree air -surface temps and the marlin died . I can't figure that one out.

I'd say if your not equiped to boat a large fish in an hour or so - especially in those conditions , maybe cutting the line would be the right thing to do

Lero
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:

OK help me out here all you fisherman. I have had trouble getting live fish to come up but has any one ever had trouble getting a dead fish to the surface.

Bruce , A number of times I've had a fish sound deep only to be shredded to nothing by the Humbolts . I imagine if you get enough of them attached to whatever your trying to haul up it isn't going to happen

Lero
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 11:32 AM

thx Rick, maybe we'll adjust plans and head south labor weekend instead of fighting the holiday crowds in the usa.

how have the mornings and evenings been temp wise?
july 4th week we had to stay inside AC pumping every afternoon, not what i like to do.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalero
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:

Bruce , A number of times I've had a fish sound deep only to be shredded to nothing by the Humbolts . I imagine if you get enough of them attached to whatever your trying to haul up it isn't going to happen

Lero

wow that is good info . I never realized that, I guess because I never caught many fish over 200 lbs.

thanks Bajalero for the info
and thanks Mexrick for the good report.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.