Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexican Coca-Cola
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 11:05 AM
Mexican Coca-Cola

There has been an ongoing discussion of the merits (sweetness) of Mexican Coke and other soft-drinks as opposed to those made in the U.S. The difference between the U.S. and Mexican product is the sweetener used: Cane Sugar for Mexican and Fructose for U.S. That difference is about to be changed.

The WTO yesterday ruled against Mexcio's attempts to shield their domestic sugar growers by imposing a 20 percent import tax on products using Fructose. The suit was brought by the U.S. Fructose producers. The WTO could also assess penalties against the Mexican government amounting to 300 million dollars.

Since Fructose is markedly cheaper than Cane Sugar, competitive forces will insure it's adoption by Mexican producers.

Personally, my uneducated taste buds can't tell the difference.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 11:14 AM
I'm drinking a Mexican can of coke right now!

The ingredients are: agua carbonatada, azucares & concentrados.

I remember in the US they were: carbonated water, sugar, phosphoric acid, natural flavorings and caffeine. (that was in the early 1980's when I was in high school and cared to look at Coke's ingredients and memorize them!).

Interesting how here the ingredients are not as specific.

So it is sweeter in Mexico or in the US? Anyone care to bring down some from the US for blind taste testing?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 11:35 AM

Mexican coke in glass bottles are made with cane sugar, in the U.S. is made with corn syrup, there is a big diference in taste, but coke will never admit their product is better in some places than others.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 12:23 PM

High fructose corn syrup is supposed to be worse for your teeth and weight - something about being a more complex molecule...

I'd think that natural cane sugar would be better, too bad they gotta mess with it.
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 12:31 PM

My understanding from an article I read some time ago is that the high fructose corn syrup leaves a "coating" on the tongue that affects our perception of the taste. Cane sugar does not cause that reaction, therefore we perceive Mexican coke as different (some of us, anyway).
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 02:44 PM
Going, Going, Gone.

There is, of course, nothing to stop Mexican producers from continuing to use Mexican Sugar in their products. Nothing other than marketplace dynamics.

It's ironic that Mexico THOUGHT that NAFTA was going to give them a leg up in trade with the U.S. Win some, lose some.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 03:58 PM

Coca Cola in the Arab world is much sweeter. They are used to drinking that really sweet tea and Coke wasn't selling until they increased the sweetness. Don't know if they added fructose or sugar but it was bad enough to make my teeth ache!

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 04:04 PM

We like DIET COKE....the other stuff is too sweet:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 04:44 PM

Mexican coke is sold here in the "Mexican" sections of the supermarkets, along with Jarritos and my favorite- Sangria Se?orial, an aisle or two away from American coke and other sodas.

I can tell the difference. Sweetened with cane sugar is "cleaner and crisper" without that cloying aftertaste. I could tell the difference many years ago when they switched to corn syrup and was saddened by the experience. It got even worse when that Cuban idiot tried to shove that "New Coke" miada down our throats. I have "won" at least half a dozen blind taste tests (every one I've ever taken) between coke and pepsi at malls and I don't understand how anyone can not tell the difference. I may be from "the Carolinas" but I've never liked pepsi. To me it's just watered down, over-sweetened coke, only flatter and devoid of that little "bite" that makes coke coke. When I order coke and they ask "pepsi ok?", I always say no and get iced tea or something. If they try to slip me a pepsi without saying anything, I always know and send it back, refusing to pay for it.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 05:32 PM
Addressing Mexican coke only

Two things here:

(1) Oso when you started drinking Coke it really had coke in it.

(2) American Coke or Mexican Coke--just add enough rum and they both come out even--in the long run.

Salude!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2005 at 08:23 PM

I can tell the difference between the 2. I enjoy the Mexican Coke over the US Coke and my wife agrees. We have had discussions about how much better it is. In my younger days in San Felipe we used to get cokes in a glass bottle almost frozen and they were delicious. That was before I started drinking beer.....:o:o:o
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:34 AM

Mexican Coke is much better than American... less sugary and less fizzy... no aftertaste or film in the mouth. I like Bernie's solution: Just add rum!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Two things here:

(1) Oso when you started drinking Coke it really had coke in it.

:lol: Almost, Bernie, almost. I grew up in the South where coke for breakfast gave you the same caffeine boost as coffee without the heat. My grandmothers knew it when it did indeed have trace amounts of cocaine as real coca leaves were used in the formula. I remember my great-aunt Stella sending one of us kids to the store for "a carton of dopes".

I am old enough to remember buying it in 6 oz bottles for a nickel from a machine with a manual crank handle. And I can remember when the price went up to 6 cents. I think that's when a lot of us started drinking RC - more volume for the price.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 09:05 AM

And when Pepsi-cola advertised their new 12 oz. bottles on the radio -

"Pepsi Cola hits the spot
12 full ounces thats a lot
twice as much for a nickle too
Pepsi Cola is the drink for you"

:cool:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 09:17 AM

I have always used the diet coke. Now, I have no choice as I am diabetic. However, I am curious why diet coke is called coke light and pepsi is pepsi light in Mexico. Is there any sugar in it? I think not, but light implies a lesser amount of sugar. Anyone know?

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 01:09 PM
Oso and I grew up down the road a piece from

each and I remember buying my last Coke for a nickel in Mississippi. Then they went to a dime in 1958. But that didn't make me buy RC---it tasted as good as Coke and I loved the Nehi oranges too.

Pepsi cola, ???? whats that???
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 02:22 PM

Hey, hey. An RC and a moon pie. Que bueno.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 02:23 PM

There was an article in the LA Times yesterday about how the US, via NAFTA, has challenged the Mexican taxation on the importation of US corn syrup. Apparently the Mexican tax has been deemed illegal, potentially putting a huge nuimber of Mexicans out of work in their cane fields.

While I have no ability to independently criticize the NAFTA decision and all those it puts out of work in Mexico (and keeps them employed in the US), I CAN gripe that it's more likely now that the above conversation will soon be obsolete and ALL Coke will be made with corn syrup. BUMMER!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
Hey, hey. An RC and a moon pie. Que bueno.

The thing was to order "moompieBBBatanaRCideycol"
(A Moon Pie, a BB Bat, and an RC if they are cold.)

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 11:02 PM
You just can't beat...

the clean, crisp taste of Mexican Coka made with pure cane sugar!

Looks like another of life's small pleasures below the border could be taken away from us by 'Big Business Bucks'!

I'd be willing to bet that if Coca Cola would 'brew' up some of their stuff with 'Pure Cane Sugar', it would sell very well here in the states - even at a premium price - but of course the big sugar beet and corn sugar lobbies would probably 'squash' it from happening!

We always bring several cases back with us when coming north...no 'stinkin' customs controls on Mexican 'Coka'...;D

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.