Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Why do?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 02:45 PM
Govwaste Industries

Oh, I forgot to mention my new endeavour. CEO of a gov surplus wholesaler. I can get you the same "fartalater" at substantial savings. Your cost only $13.95 ea. Only 10,000 units left, better hurry.

some slightly used
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 07:34 PM
I guess we can bless this smelly site and lay it to rest

Thank you my friends for supporting me this far.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 12:07 PM

Sharks, I assume the Fartalater is not available at stores. If I order right now, will you send me two?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-30-2005 at 12:09 PM
No hay pedo!

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 12:39 PM
So sorry Lera

sold them all to a gentleman earlier from France, Pierre Pelos and one of his Nomad counterparts......"Anon the Frenchman"

BTW.....stinky threads never die!!

[Edited on 8-30-2005 by Sharksbaja]
the baja chihuahua

[*] posted on 11-21-2005 at 07:48 PM

Anybody heard from Randymac in the last while?
sexyarcher

[*] posted on 2-5-2007 at 06:59 AM
RE: Tell us about Randy Mac Where is he?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
what is the deal if you are who you say you are then tell us about Randy.:?::?::?:

Hello,

I have been cruising this site reading many posts. doing research on Baja California, and I found the above post so I thought I would fill you in on Where's Randy Mac and tell us about Randy.:?::?::?:

He's alive and now doing very well living and working hard back in his home town. He's also planning a trip to Baja Mexico later this year.

Below is a partial news story I wrote about my best friend Randy Mac and what he has been doing this past 18 months. The full news story can be found on West Kootenay Unplugged web-portal at:

http://www.westkootenayunplugged.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&Itemid=10412

Randy or Rusty to me now has a meaningful focus on life. His lengthy road to recovery after battles to recover his health this past 18 months are a story unto itself. That's Part 2 of my story. A story of determination for a man to repair his health...one day at a time-

Rusty tells me he longs for a return to the Baja but he's so busy right now that he'll have to wait to take his planned trip south later this year.
The SexyArcher

Partial Story written about Randy

A MySpace Social networking site for West Kootenay Grown Ups – WK Unplugged

Similar Grown Up style MySpace type social networking web-portal in development for Baja California, Mexico -BajaUnplugged

PART ONE

Social networking has been great for the kids, but not of much use to grownups and business - until now. With West Kootenay Unplugged's new web-portal MySpace-for-grown-ups at a early adopter/innovator beginning, these days you're either Plugged In or left out in the West Kootenays and on the web.

-- At Cafe Americana in downtown Trail, B.C., Canada, two 40 to 50-something men anxiously await the arrival of Randy Mac McCallum, one of the West Kootenay's most sought-after Web 2.0 savvy technology developers. It's 5:47 on a Thursday afternoon, the day McCallum gave a 1 hour and 20 minute presentation at the request of the City of Trail Promotions committee, at City Hall, with a plan to meet and discuss the West Kootenay Unplugged web-portal with some early adopter site members afterwards.

The cafe is closing, just as McCallum arrives, his cell phone clasped in one hand as he walks toward the table dressed in brown dockers, brown shoes and a hunter green sweater with a funny looking logo embroidered on the right arm.

McCallum is harnessing the power of social networks for local West Kootenay area residents and has plans to promote the new web-portal to area businesses. That's "WK Unplugged" as in not Plugged Into corporate control, the small one man company that McCallum founded and now manages 7 days of the week, besides his technology consulting business which keeps him equally as busy.

West Kootenay Unplugged has been years in the planning, 8 months of no stop development, and this past 2 months-old online web-portal service is seeking to take people’s personal connections and business network online in the West Kootenays and beyond.

After a cautiously optimistic start, the new web-portal service has nearly quadrupled its initial sign up members for free membership during the past 2 months. Seeded with McCallum's own personal money and his connect network, and backing assistance from his older brother, the new web-portal site has become a magnet for West Kootenay's Web 2.0 technology movers and shakers, as West Kootenay Unplugged has started to capitalize on the Web 2.0 boom to attract more innovator/early adopter members and race past its rivals community sites that are seeking to sign up businesses and promoting the West Kootenay area.

McCallum is intent on building on the WK Unplugged's growing popularity in a bid for the big member payday down the road, as he has big plans to grow from the West Kootenay interior of British Columbia Canada, to the East Kootenays, Okanagan, and then all of British Columbia by January 2008. In the meantime, WK Unplugged has become the go-to place for the West Kootenay online surfers looking for local networking action.

Increasingly, if you're not Plugged In to the WK Unplugged Network, you're left out. And is yet to be seen whether the City of Trail Promotions committee members get it or not. But McCallum isn't worried or waiting around for them. He's focused on his business plan, and attracting the innovators and early adopters necessary to build on his vision for a web portal to promote the West Kootenays and help area businesses and entrepreneurs to establish a social networking connect to the world.

Take two guys sitting at the table in Cafe Americana getting ready to meet with McCallum for a face-time social network discussion meeting. WK Unplugged helped get them this meeting. McCallum started discussions with them online and requested a face to face with them to discuss their ideas and hold an introductory get to know each other meeting.

The notion for WK Unplugged began in 2002, when McCallum began researching the burgeoning online-community market and how a service for local Web surfers and business professionals/community minded members could be built to service the British Columbia Interior and the West Kootenays.

Having returned to the West Kootenays where he grew up before heading off to live in Mexico (Yucatan and Baja California) for a few years, and a brief stint in Europe, in early 2005, McCallum made plans to return one day to his home town and develop social networking software for people to meet and connect, and build business relationships. As a start point, he decided to build it this past year 2006, and test it locally in the West Kootenays, and now WK Unplugged is born.

In early 2005, Randy McCallum returned from Europe after almost dying from a major bout of food poisoning picked up eating a home cooked dinner in a chalet upper France. He was in France and Switzerland on business and research, and while touring Switzerland and Northern France he learned a lot about social interactions of Europeans compared to people across the pond in North America.

Life was not easy for McCallum after returning from Europe. In late April 2005, he managed to get sun stroke after a long day of hiking near his home town of Trail, B.C. He then came down with lymphatic system failure in May 2005, and a blood clot almost cost him his life a second time in 3 short months. It took the next 9 months for him to recover and regain his full faculties and self-esteem after what he describes as his own private Idaho to hell and back. He says, "I was way out there for a while, and settling down in a relationship, getting my health back, being focused on WK Unplugged and my technology consulting business helped me to meet some of my own very important hierarchy of human needs."

In late 2005, McCallum started researching content management development systems again for the WK Unplugged network, and began building the software backbone first version of WK Unplugged web-portal in March 2006, and did a soft launch in December 2006-January 2007, with a planned full launch for the West Kootenays of BC set for April 15, 2007.

McCallum says he spent a considerable amount of time researching online communities and member forums, having built his first online community back in 1984. Like the Northern Lights BBS bulletin board system back in the 80's, McCallum started in December 2006, to germinate his new online web-portal service by encouraging 44 registered members to sign up and test out this new web-portal on a regular weekly basis so far, and it has attracted over 3500 unique people this past month and 34,000 visitors in total since September 2006.

That's over 1 million page views for a site that still in early stages of development and over 365,000 page views in the month of January 2007 alone. Many of the visitors have logged into the new web-portal, mainly by learning through word of mouth by their own contacts, or through finding out about the site using Google or through online links, or reading about it in comments about the site in developer communities.

And McCallum hasn't even started his marketing and promotion campaign to expose WK Unplugged to the outside world, or even most of the West Kootenays. He has only advertised it locally in the two newspapers in the Trail, B.C. area for one month, and stopped advertising on Januray 1st to see if the visitors would drop off. Instead of decreasing in numbers, site visits have increased by leaps and bounds in the month of January 2007, and the first few days of February 2007 at the time of writing this blog.

More of this story on Wk Unplugged...

For the full story go to WK Unplugged at:

http://www.westkootenayunplugged.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&Itemid=10412

by the SexyArcher - a personal friend of Randy

[Edited on 2-5-2007 by sexyarcher]

sexyarcher

question.gif posted on 2-5-2007 at 07:14 AM
Doing research on Baja - a place for favorite weblinks?

Hello,

I am doing some research for my friend Randy and I am new to researching Baja California.

I'm specifically looking for favorite links to places in Baja, what is the favorite newspaper - online or off line and read frequently by tourists and transplants to Baja?

Any help or feedback is appreciated,

The SexyArcher

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 2-5-2007 at 07:36 AM
glad to hear Randy is doing well

.In Northern Baja the papers would be Baja Times and Gringo Gazette north. Both are also online,k:yes:. PS You should really open a new thread for both of these subjects. I think you would get a better response.,k

[Edited on 2-5-2007 by Keri]

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 2-5-2007 at 03:37 PM

:cool: Chale eyy.. Ohh that means, What the @#%$@???
This whole thing started with hypocrisy and ended with politics??? :?: Now I know why I come to this forum… We are all locos…
:lol: Anyway, who cares about what text communication does. The whole purpose to this web-site is to help each other out by provising info, insight and purpose to those wonderful trips to Baja.;) I wonder how many ever came to one of these forums looking for “chisme” or “pleito”. These are just circumstantial situations as disagreements arise but I can offer a solution……? “Let’s agree to disagree.” :yes: I believe if that was our motto here, there would be less Drama over certain issues.. Just my two cents..:cool:
Have a great day,
SocCalAl

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-5-2007 at 04:44 PM
Seriously, Have I missed Something ?

I was under the impression that JR had died. Is someone else living on and tending the Chicken Coop in his spirit or were the reports of his death Wildly Exaggerated ?
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2007 at 04:59 PM

Hmmm
I thought it was weird too. Maybe a family member logging in with his name?? ?

Al

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-5-2007 at 05:03 PM

Those posts are from 8/05.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2007 at 06:09 PM

:lol:oops:biggrin:
forgive the inexperieced folks...:rolleyes:
SoCalAl

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.