Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Hurricane Katrina
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 06:13 PM
Water expected to rise 9 more feet

The effort to shore up the largest levee break has apparently failed and the pumps that send the water back to the lake have failed. They expect nine more feet of water before the city and the lake water levels equilibrate, in the next 12 hours our so. Meanwhile, they've got as many as 60,000 people, many of them badly hurt, in the Superdome, who now have to be evacuated to somewhere else (in the meantime, it's 90 degrees in there, with no electricity and no water, toilets backing up, people jumping from the upper levels, shootings and carjackings outside, you name it). I just don't see how they are going to get that done or how they're going to prevent massive disease outbreaks from the terrible conditions. There are going to be thousands of dead from this.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 06:28 PM

Really, the looting is a minor issue in the overall scheme of things. The commercial stuff is or should be insured and it would probably be ruined anyway.
The real issues are potable water, disease and total loss of lifestyles.
Imagine the sense of loss of people and things you hold dear...... it's gotta hurt.
I'd say, rather surprisingly, that Surfer Jim is taking the bonehead award on this one. Well done, mate.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 06:55 PM

Thanks for posting the photos Pompano, they pretty well show how major this turned out to be...

[Edited on 8-31-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 07:02 PM
No Problema

The REVEREND Jessie Jackson is going to work with Hugo Chavez to see that oil is imported at a discount to those who are needy. Of course, those needy are going to have a devil of a time figuring out how to do something with that crude oil. Bathe in it to keep off the mosquitos ?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 07:15 PM
The Eye of the Monster

One last photo before I go to sleep.....wish all the flood victims could sleep as well and as comfortable. Godspeed rescue missions.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 07:28 PM
Something to Ponder

Sitting here watching Greta Van Sustical "On The Record" and the Hurricane guy pointed out that this current scenario was forecast at the beginning of the Season. In fact, they rated based on historical data, the area around New Orleans the most dangerous area for this season and it behaved exactly as their worst case scenario had envisioned. What he was leading up to is the fact that the rest of that early forecast contemplates a second-hit scenario for the same general region. The conditions out in the Atlantic and off of the Upper East Coast are developing just as that forecast had predicted.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 08:31 PM
Brilliant David

We can fly them all over here to help in the empty bombers and you can check them all in at the gate.:no:

This was in referrence to another of dk's ridiculous postings, which he again has deleted. And according to his post below, he doesn't seem to remember the spew that comes out of his mouth on a regular basis.

Same with his ideas on Baja, just a bunch of gibberish from another tourist!

[Edited on 8/31/2005 by jrbaja]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 09:24 PM

??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[Edited on 8-31-2005 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

mad.gif posted on 8-30-2005 at 10:39 PM
If you can step back and look at the larger picture...

The first thing that you hear these red state politicians saying is that as soon as possible they will rebuild in the same spot, but bigger and better. So lets see. If I can build a house fast enough, I could get it built in the inter-tidal zone, and when the tide comes in, as surely as the next hurricane will come, FEMA will use your tax dollars to build me another house in the same stupid location.

If you choose to build your house in a hole in the ground surrounded by water in a place where hurricanes are a frequent occurance, you had better have something bit more bouyant than a belief in the supernatural to keep your butt dry.

At some point, common sense and rationality need to be taken into consideration. Mythology will not provide the food, water and basic necessities that these poor people need. Those rescue materials will come from the rest of America, and since the blue states provide something like 80% of the US economic engine, it will be, once again, money from the progressive states that bail these people out. Otherwise, the dominionist theocrats won't have a dry place to stand.

The plight of these people is certainly pitiful, but equally predictable.

Personally, I'd prefer that all those billions of dollars we will have to send down there were emblazoned with: In Reason We Trust. Several million simultaneous prayers didn't do squat.

Ok, I'm back in my foxhole, fire away...

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 10:53 PM

Hey David,
why do you have to bring that chit into the picture??????????? Seriously. can't you leave the religious bullchit/policital out of it?

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 07:12 AM
If this thread is ending..I want it to end on a different note..concerning the disaster, not opinions.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 07:38 AM

OK... Thanks again Pompano!

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 08:56 AM
When the levy breaks

or why Mexicans that are familiar with an area don't build their homes in arroyos.

To rebuild in the same situation would be downright stupidity! When do they start?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 09:11 AM
To Protect and Serve

Watching MSNBC for awhile last night, there was video taken inside a Walmart that was being looted. They were attempting to engage some of the looters in conversation without much success
(big surprise), but then they came around a corner and there were two Big Mama Police Officers pushing a shopping cart and collecting loot off of the shelves. Looking through the shoes for the right size. When the Mama Cop farthest away saw the camera, she took off around a corner. The closer one turned away from the shopping cart and pushed past the camera. When they asked her what she was doing, she said "ma job". And just what was her job ? "Lookin for looters". Obviously, she was successful in finding at least two, including herself.

It's encouraging to see the law at work in time of disaster.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 09:23 AM
That's pushing it

but I did see a clip where they police were allowing the people to take food and water from the stores. Seems fair enough to me.
The rest should be shot.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
but I did see a clip where they police were allowing the people to take food and water from the stores. Seems fair enough to me.
The rest should be shot.

common thieves:fire:
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:13 PM

The looters somehow remind me of the million man march a few years back.
I believe that the march was on a weekday and no one missed a day at work;D:wow::smug:

Therianthropic
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:42 PM
Looting

While the looting is wrong, law enforcement has the right attitude. The other problems they are faced with are a lot more important to a limited force at this time. The perishables would just go bad anyway and the big outfits (probably small ones, too) like Walmart aren't interested in salvaging any of their inventory. After the "Big One" here in 1992, the stores threw all sorts of good stuff in the dumpsters so they could just write it off and not have to deal with damaged or scuffed up goods. Besides, many of the element looting are probably better kept occupied at that. They're less likely to get into other, more harmful mischief.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:52 PM

When I wrote dozens...it was dozens as known. Now unfortunately the numbers will escalate. I acknowledge the increase....sadly.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 02:31 PM
just a prayer.... of all denominations

Bless the people of America and our resolve and strength to prevail against all odds. Our hearts and our hands will be with you in your time of need.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.