Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Hurricane Katrina
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 03:46 PM
Give What You Can

I haven't written for awhile on the board but I think that the continuing disaster is one that should move us to action. Yes, there are valid arguments about rebuilding issues and the risks that people living in these areas face but there will be a time for those discussions. Right now, as Cyndarouh also encouraged in this thread, is a time when all of us should give what you can. There are immediate needs in these devastated areas and as many of you living in Baja California know, recovering from the impact of a hurricane is daunting...imagine those efforts on the massive scale we see now.

So, we may view the related issues of this disaster differently but I don't think any of us can not see the opportunity to give some compassion and support.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 03:47 PM

We need to donate whatever we can. This is just horrible. My parents rode it out, near Gulf Shores, AL, but they are OK. They are lucky.
Bob H

Link to donate is here... http://www.redcross.org/

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 03:54 PM
i agree,so what exactly can we do to help these people...

any idea's???

Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 03:57 PM

Like my Ol' pal Ebenizer once said "Are ther no prisons?"

Therianthropic
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 04:32 PM
Giving

The Red Cross is probably the best place. They are soliciting cash donations of any size. If a few million people gave 10-20 dollars, it would make a significant difference. Anyway, that's where I went.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 09:09 PM
Where is the rest of the world

Have any of you noticed how many nations around the world are falling over themselves to offer assistance to 'our' nation after it has been dealt an almost mortal blow by mother nature. 48+ hours and not a peep. Heard today that france would be happy to help--if we asked!

Remember how everybody in the world and half of America jumped all over President Bush and this country because we did not respond with 'enough' money and only 12 hours after the last diaster struck a small portion of the third world.

I'm sure that they would be glad to help if only our President didn't swagger so much--And, you know, it is his fault that it even happened.

I am sure that we will dig ourselves out of this extreme problem but when we do I think we should remember all of our friends and allies around the world the next time something untoward occurs in their backyard.

Color me extremely angry as an American who loves his Country.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 09:30 PM
amen brother...

those frogs better rally the troops back in europe or we're liable to nuke their sorry asses:mad::fire:

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:26 PM

I will be leaving in the AM under contract with florida power and light and FEMA to provide emergency communications at various staging areas. Any one in that area needing help with a starband system please contact me. All my services in this area for folks affected by this disaster are free of charge.

I will be setting up base at the staging area in Jackson MS at the state fairgrounds. Cell# 919-368-1057 but I don't know if it will be working there. I should have my tripod set up but it will take a day or two starting tomorrow. I will also be setting up free wireless hotspots if you need to communicate with the outside world.

Just as in hurricane Juliette I will post pics and info as I gather them

Max
www.orbitalenterprises.net

[Edited on 1-9-2005 by Bajabus]

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:47 PM

I've seen the Red Cross selling coffe and doughnuts to us solders going to Vietman and across the street Salvation Army giving them away. (Ft Riely Kansas) And remember after 9/11 ... $187,000000.00 for new computers

SALVATION ARMY BRINGING RELIEF TO SURVIVORS OF HURRICANE KATRINA

Currently, The Salvation Army is providing relief to residents and first responders in Hattiesburg, Miss., Mobile, Ala., and New Orleans, La. Additional Salvation Army emergency disaster services vehicles (canteens) are staged in surrounding areas and are prepared to be deployed to other affected areas once emergency management officials determine it safe. The Salvation Army is prepared to serve 500,000 meals a day as well as provide emotional and spiritual support to those trying to recover from Katrina?s wrath.

Salvation Army centers in Mobile, Ala., and New Orleans, La., have become safe havens to 500 people who were evacuated due to the storms. The Salvation Army is providing shelter and food to evacuees, many of whom have no where else to go since the storm annihilated countless homes in its destructive path. Salvation Army canteens are serving hot meals to residents and first responders throughout Mobile and in Hattiesburg, Miss.

More than 250 Salvation Army volunteers, employees and officers (ministers) will be providing aid from at least 100 canteens that will each be able to provide up to 5,000 meals a day. The Salvation Army has staged its two 54-foot mobile kitchens in Baton Rouge, La., and Mobile, Ala. They will be moved to other affected areas once emergency responders determine safe locations.

The Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network (SATERN) has been tirelessly working to provide information concerning the health and welfare of affected residents to anxious family members and loved ones. In one day SATERN received more than 600 health and welfare requests. Health and welfare inquiry forms may be found at www.salvationarmyusa.org

At this time The Salvation Army is only asking for monetary donations. A $100 donation will feed a family of four for two days, provide two cases of drinking water and one household clean-up kit.

Monetary donations may be sent your local Salvation Army earmarked ?Disaster Relief,? made online at www.salvationarmyusa.org or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:48 PM

Thanks Max... I think I can say 'from all of us Baja Nomads'... Best of luck in your efforts!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:57 PM
vgabndo...you made mention of rebuilding, above...

...I believe FEMA won't provide low cost 'rebuilding' funds for buildings that would be built in the same type of 'flood zone' without being built in a 'raised' position making the living area ABOVE the highest possible water level for that area - I'm talking about New Orleans, here where the buildings were below sea level. The other option is for substantial levees to be built that would not fail as easily as the current ones have. There are many river areas that are protected with levees around the country - the old 100 year flood protection types - but they have been known to give up the ghost if there is too much water. So I guess you just have to rebuild the best you can, and take your chances - or move on to higher land!

The home built on the coast of Mississippi are another problem all together, as you can't predict the height of the tidal surge during a future storm.

In any event, it's a tough go for these people that have families that have lived in the same area for generations.

there have been disasters of all types, floods, fires, earthquakes, tornado's, etc...and the victims of these ravages of nature have rebuilt on the 'rubble' and carried on with their lives. Some take longer that others, as I think we will see in this current disaster.

The Federal Govt, regardless of who is in power, can only do so much - the rest is up to us. Problem is, Billions will be spend to rebuild in most of the same places and everything will be fine - till, years from now another huge storm will come crashing into the coast there, and they will be in a similar mess! Ain't human nature great!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 11:48 PM

Good on ya Bajabus and Godspeed. I think it's awsome you are in a position to help in a BIG way. Thanks!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 06:26 AM

OK I am heading out now......Lordy gas shot up from 2.67 to 3.05 over night here in NC. I sure am glad I filled up all my cans yesterday. will post when I get there.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 09:49 AM
Gas Pricing

The only station I've seen on the news that was displaying prices above $6.00 was that one BP Station (Georgia ?) and the Chevron station right across the highway was selling at $2.99. Every media outlet is showing that one clip, but only on Fox have I seen the wide shot showing the Chevron station. One of the market analysts on Fox News said that it was more likely that the BP owner was trying to conserve his inventory until the supply situation became clear. Quien Sabe ?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 10:33 AM
Bernie

I think those other countries are intelligent enough to stay away from the looting, gunfire, and politics that seem to be more of a priority than actually getting in there and saving people.
You know, like when the tsunami hit the Muslim countries. All those "terrorists" working together to save lives and clean up the damage without looting and shooting.
From what I can see on TV, many of the survivors here have gone without water and food for three days while they watched government vehicles driving around doing nothing. No wonder they're peeed. Is it because the majority are poor it has taken so long to get the basics in there? That's what they are thinking I bet.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 10:52 AM
Pompano can you please post the link?

Pompano?

Could you please post the link where you got the "Eye of the Monster" image?

Thanks!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 11:24 AM
threatening approach...too late to run for some

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 02:40 PM

Well its 4 days gone by doesn't look like much is being done by our Government, things are planned but what about now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess Bush has all the troops in Iraq.

False alarm just came on the news Bush is going to tour the area again tomorrow.

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 02:49 PM
Likely trying to conserve his inventory?

Is that a guess or is it based on an interview with the station owner? In either event, it doesn't excuse this kind of behavior and that analyst needs to get a real job (like maybe pumping gas). If the station owner is charging outrageous prices just so people won't buy his gas now and therefore have to go across the highway to buy the other guy's gas, then our station owner is intentionally restricting supply to enable himself to sell at vastly higher prices when the other guy -- who is playing by the rules -- runs out and our station owner has a monopoly on that stretch of highway. If he's not charging outrageous prices just to discourage people from buying, but is actually selling at that price (perhaps his lines are shorter, eh?) then he's price gouging right now.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 04:28 PM

PBS news reports that 77 year old "Fats Domino" who lives in New Orleans 9th ward has not been seen since last sunday.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.