BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: truck camping.....options....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 04:29 PM
truck camping.....options....

part two of truck camping:

lots of extra cost options available...what's needed /useful and what's not?

1. refrigerator...1.9 or 3.0 or ice box type...

2. fantastic fan(s) and roof vents...

3.furnace... or not.....

4.awning.....

5.aux. battery...

6.solar cell (50W)...

7.ext. shower....(hot)....

8. what did I forget?.....
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 04:41 PM

12 volt fan!!!! Maybe two!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 04:53 PM

Yes to the refrigerator - it doesn't take much propane and cuts down on trips for ice. Try for a three way so it runs off the truck when you're driving.
Roof vents are also a must - fans help if it's hot and you have the power.
No furnace - unless you are planning to camp in the cold a lot - we boil water for coffee or cocoa and the camper is warm by the time it's done.
Also no water heater unless you have a big unit and plan to use the shower - we heat a pot of water to add to the cold water in the sun shower or take a cool shower while it's hot out.
Awning is nice when it's hot or wet - gives more outdoor space to use.
At least one RV battery with an isolator to charge from your truck is best.
Solar panels help if you plan to use much power - without it we can run the lights and water pump for two to three days then idle the truck for an hour for another day or two of useage.
Ext shower is really nice - the inside ones are always too small anyway!
Make sure the toilet is large enough to use if you get one.
Make sure gray and black water discharges are separate so you can save the black and discharge the gray depending on where you're camping.
Inverters are nice so you can charge batteries, computers, etc and run small tools or appliances (micro/blender...)
Make sure the camper layout and size feels right...
Make sure the stairs are easy to use
At least 20 gallons, more is better of water storage
Get/make a small awning for the refigerator side to help keep it cool.
A mini pallet made from cedar or redwood makes a great shower platform.
Make sure the roof is strong enough to carry weight if you want to (ladder)
Vinyl floor; no carpet - easier to clean.
Opaque curtains keep out the sun/heat.
Hidden compartments to hide your ddrugs..........
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 05:08 PM

Keep those ideas coming....unless Pompano covered EVERYTHING ....well he missed something and Diver got it...last sentence about hidden areas....for .....DRUGS!!.....:biggrin:...
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 05:18 PM
gee, pompano that list of yours above seems a little short

:lol::lol::lol:either you must be a fast typer or that must have taken a while....

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 05:27 PM
now that i totally agree with

i'll drink to improv trips...of course when youre bringing the whole fandamily a little bit of planning goes along way:yes:

TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 06:04 PM

Fantastic fans are fantastic. Propane reefer is a wonderful luxury. The small size is good for a weeks worth of stuff you REALLY need to keep cold if you play it right. Beer still seems better being pulled from an icechest somehow. Furnace no, hot water heater - get a Coleman portable unit. Two burner stove always seems to be enough.

Storage needs to be where you can get to it without tearing everything apart, like think about where your hi-lift jack is going to live and how you're going to get to it with stuff on top of it and when it goes back in with muck on it will your wife kill you.

After a couple of rounds of 'why the hell did I put that there?' you'll have it wired. Double check all the factory wiring and fuses. They build these things for KOA camping, so Baja will take a toll on anything that isn't nailed down and bulletproof. Pay special attention to how the camper is fastened down, then test it, then pay some more attention to it. Baja washboard is unkind toward wimpy turnbuckles and hooks.
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 10:32 PM

I just ordered a new camper with the following options:

Side and rear awnings - shade is nice
exterior shower - nice for rinsing off
12v, 4 CF fridge - draws way less DC than a 3 way and got tired of switching back and forth with the old one.
Solar system - plenty of sun in Baja
Heater - we winter camp as well and sometimes the heater is also nice along the Pacific coast
Microwave w/inverter - it's a luxury, but I've got little kids
Bunk beds
Extra batteries
powered fan

It's still only an 8 foot camper, so nothing hangs off the back and it is a pop up that weighs about 1200 pounds with options.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 10:57 PM

marek....what did you get?....I've been concerned about the weight issue and 1200 sounds good.....
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TacoFeliz
Fantastic fans are fantastic. Propane reefer is a wonderful luxury. The small size is good for a weeks worth of stuff you REALLY need to keep cold if you play it right. Beer still seems better being pulled from an icechest somehow. Furnace no, hot water heater - get a Coleman portable unit. Two burner stove always seems to be enough.

Storage needs to be where you can get to it without tearing everything apart, like think about where your hi-lift jack is going to live and how you're going to get to it with stuff on top of it and when it goes back in with muck on it will your wife kill you.

After a couple of rounds of 'why the hell did I put that there?' you'll have it wired. Double check all the factory wiring and fuses. They build these things for KOA camping, so Baja will take a toll on anything that isn't nailed down and bulletproof. Pay special attention to how the camper is fastened down, then test it, then pay some more attention to it. Baja washboard is unkind toward wimpy turnbuckles and hooks.

can someone tell me what is a Fantastic fan?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 06:52 AM

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID...

...it's STILL loud;D

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 07:09 AM

The big use for a Fantastic Fan (brand name powered fan in the vent) is in Pop-Tops to suck the canvas in while you put the top down. Works great!

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 09:09 AM

The fantastic fan is a must. We love it and use it all the time.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 09:42 AM

facial tissues ? !!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 12:22 PM
A few more.....

....see if you can figure a way to go with two, 6V golf cart batteries in series......much better than the largest 12v batt you can accommodate. At that point a 1500watt inverter can run all kinds of things. Use an isolator to separate these batteries from the starting batteries, but it will charge them while driving.

For storage/carriage, I use a Hitch Haul II platform that goes into a class III hitch. I store dirty or ungainly things like my trash can, 20# propane tank, firewood, generator, outboard engine, etc., it changes from trip to trip. There are aluminum competitors that look even better than the HH.

A small propane space heater works fine. There are models that attach directly to a 20# propane tank or on the 16.4 oz bottles.

Some kind of awning is a must. If you camp alone mostly, the ones that attach to the side are the most convenient, but are pricey. I am carrying an Easy Up right now as its 1/5 the cost of an attached awning. Also more versatile. Easy Ups have come way down over the years; I picked a good one up at Walmart in Nogales for the low 80s.

Fantantic vents are tremendous. They evacuate the heat in a camper in about 30 seconds and provide a low-draw breeze all night long. They are much quieter than the usual 7inch bladed, 12v fans, even though they are about 12 inch. Three speeds, intake/exhaust, thermostatically controlled so you can set it for a temp to go on or off at a certain temp.

Mounted external 12v spreader/flood lights on both sides of your rig (with interchangeable amber lenses) that are tied to your 12v house system. Coleman lanterns suck...I hate camping near people with those things going! Searingly bright. And they are loud.

French press (Freedom press?) for ground coffee.

Iron skillet.....these things are a marvel of simplicity and functionality. You can heat up ANYTHING a microwave can with an iron skillet and a lid on a basic stovetop. Takes much more heat than any coated piece of chit aluminum pan and is good for you. It will outlive you. I protect my seasoned coating jealously. :lol:

4-6 inch, mounted ABS or PVC tube for carrying fishing poles out of the way. Mine is mounted under the rear overhang of my Lance camper. Extends maybe 4 inches wider than the Lance on each side. Accommodates rods up to 9 feet.

Front mounted bike rack (preferably a second class III hitch type) to keep the rear free for the Hitch Haul, towing, ?

Fully loaded, it will look like Jed Clampet's rig.....but who cares?

[Edited on 8-30-2005 by Hook]

[Edited on 8-30-2005 by Hook]
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 10:37 PM

Surfer Jim,

I purchased an Outfitter camper. I've had a Four Wheel camper for years, and it has been great, however, now, with two kids, we wanted a little more room and comfort. I'll pick up the new camper in a few weeks, and then we are off to Baja for a quick trip. I'll post more after we break it in.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 01:10 AM

Furnace? only if you plan on travelling to a cold climate. It does get cold in Baja in the winter, but usually not so cold that you will freeze. A small space heater is a good option. Follow ALL Safety Precautions

Storage? You bet, Especially outside access. Nothing worse than making people get up and out so you can get in and find something.

Fantastic Fans? Are great. Spend the extra 40 bucks and get the thermostatically controlled model. It won't run your batteries down (as fast). Comes on when it gets to a specific temp and goes off the same way..

Batteries? The more the merrier. Trojan T105, 6 volt are the Best. wire them in series to get 12 volts. This is a pretty technical subject and I would reccomend you talk to someone smarter on the subject, than me.
Check this site out-----> http://www.oasismontana.com/ <---also for Solar panels

Solar panels? Calculate your daily Elect. useage from all your Elect. devices. Then buy the solar panels based on your needs. Buy panels that you can add new panels onto. You might be surprised How many watts you will need. 50 Watts might run one light for one night if it's a 50 watt light. Remember, you won't get 24 hours of charging, maybe 5 hours at peak, at best.

Propane? You'll use propane for cooking, refrige and heating. Frige uses very little compared to battery usage, and propane is more efficient than 12 volt.

Awnings? You can only sit on one side at a time and the newer models have great insulation. Window tint is Important, get them all tinted.

Inverter/Converter They make them all in one. 1500 watt is a good size. Make sure it is a Battery charger? True SineWave model.

External Shower? They're Great.

Water capacity? That depends on you and how far you have to go to replenish. I have a motorhome and it carries a lot, 75 gallons. Lasts the two of us, if we take a Sailor shower every other day, about a week. Also depends on your Beer consumption.

Generator? The subject will come up, sooner or later. Honda, 1000 or 2000. Just depends on your needs. They are super quiet, use very little fuel, can charge your batteries or run an elect. drill, saw, light or anything you might need it for.

Hidey spot? Buy a deep well Elect. Outlet Box. You can put $$ and valuables inside and few thiefs will ever suspect or take the time to remove them.

You'll have to temper everything I've said to fill your own personal needs. Hope it helps and if you have any more questions just ask. We have some very smart campers on Nomads.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 06:55 AM

The must have accessory for the four wheel pop up owner is a Tommy Gate. Security when it's closed and locked, handy for getting 156 qt. ice chest full of fish/beer in rig, lowered half way makes for easy entry and exit of unit, serves as back porch sitting area for morning coffee, makes for easy loading and tiedown on overhead rack of surfboards, kayaks, fishing rods,souvenir boojum trees, comes in any color as long as it's black.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Joaquin Suave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 09:58 AM

If your reefer is the vertical door type (like in stationary homes) improve the door latch system!!!!

Nothing like have the doors bounceing open and expunging all the food into the interior of your truck! Usually lots of broken glass.

Keep your mass low! Spair tires on the roof is dumb.

Find out what the camper manufactures max load on the roof is and DONT exceed it! Make sure that your rack has big supports to the camper and many of them (not just 4 unless your carring just surf boards)

Cantilevering a rack over the cab CAN KILL YOU if you flip your truck. (it crushes the cab in. I've seen it. VERY UGLY) DONT DO IT!

Keep your mass low!!!

We usually do a shake down drive off road near the house to see how well things are packed. a simple 1/2 hour drive can teach you some amazing things! Hammer the bumps & learn.

we have the largest reefer Dometic makes. it has a freezer.

we then have 2 ice chests. one for deep freeze that we buy dry ice for (get at welding supplies).

the other is just for beer! We make ice in our freezer and transfer it to the beer chest daily.

we then try not to open the food reefer other than snacks & meals.

I'm sure all other long time Baja explorers will argee with me...

Life is too short to have to endure another warn Tecate!

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 09:30 PM

Suave...is that your rig?....what the....

looks strong like an armored truck.....or a UFO !!!...;D
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.