BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is importing lumber possible?
Awatson

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 03:59 PM
Is importing lumber possible?

I am bringing a small amount of lumber accross at Nogales on way to Kino Bay. Someone on another board posted that all lumber must go through a broker.

Any truth to this? I was under the impression that you just pay the 17% tax on top of your original reciept.

I am only bringing (4) 2x4's 24' long, plus (8) 3" diameter pipes 10' long for use as posts.It's obviously not a commercial endevour.

Any advice is appreciated.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 04:10 PM
Although I don't know about Nogales

You should have no problem with that amount at any of the crossings. Look them in the eye, smile, lie through your teeth about how much you paid, and pay the import duty.:lol:

PS Red flags on the long items are mandatory in Mexico too!

[Edited on 8/30/2005 by jrbaja]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 04:35 PM

Where do you guys get 17%.....everytime I go its 24%

I'll need to go with you:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 05:33 PM
Import on lumber

Ah, that reminds me of the tale of our bringing - or should I say attempting to bring 16' 2x8s to LaSalina, through T.J. in about 1980.

We had enough beams for the joists of the roof courtesy of a contractor who happened to have just the number we needed left over from a job....another story I'm certain!

Well, we loaded my 10' long trailer with 'em, covered the wood with a tarp, put a bunch of camping gear and other assorted junk on top. Of course we hit the border late, around 10:00 pm thinking that was the smart way to outsmart the customs guys. Oh were we wrong. First they wanted $10.00 for each piece of lumber. We said no thank you, how do we head back to the US? They showed us and we made the U-turn, defeated.

Not to be outdone we went back to Hemet, cut them into lengths of 10 and 6 feet (with a redesigned roof and ceiling) and this time we put the 6 footers in a van, well hidden.

The ten footers we again put in my trailer but this time only a smidgen stuck out the rear of the open trailer. Thinking the nite time escapade a mistake we decided to brave the day shift inspectors. We decided to not stick together so the van went first and slid through and on to the first toll booth to wait.

I was next, and again we piled junk on top of a tarp covering the wood to make it look like we were on a long camping trip. Stoves, tent, chairs and all the regular stuff on display to distract the "inspector." He waved us by, like nothing.

As I drove on, I looked in the side mirror and saw him sort of half-hearted giving chase as he had seen the obivous ends of the beams sticking out the back of the open trailer.

All the way to the first toll booth my wife and I were sweating that surely he had called ahead and alerted the folks there of the smuggling in progress, and to look for the red Jeep with a trailer of wood beams in tow.

As we approached the toll collector of course we spotted the official looking car just ahead, driver behind the wheel. Nervous as hell we paid the toll and drove on, smiling and saying gracias, gracias over and over again.

Fifty yards later my heart jumped into my throat as the cruiser had taken off in our direction. Then to our great relief the cruiser just went on past leaving us in his dust.

The roof modifications worked out just fine, and while laying the plywood on top, a scorpion fell slowly downward, grabbing at my construction partner, nailing him in the back.

Now that is another story.

Hope you have as good of luck as we did!

John M
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 06:22 PM
Import Fee

This is from 2003. The duty has held at the 17 % Thru at least Dec 2004 when I last took down Lumber.
Prior to 2003, the back of the Import Declaration included a table of duties for each country of origin. Since then only the info regarding amounts to be imported without a broker are included, no specific tables. The officer where you fill out the documents has a current schedule which you can look at by request.

[Edited on 8-31-2005 by MrBillM]
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 06:33 PM

My understanding is that it is 17% if the materials reciept is for less than1k. Over that, and I've been wrong before, there is paperwork at Otay to fill out.
Reciepts are pretty easily modified on today's computers, though..........

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 06:43 PM
Correcto Soulpatch

As I said, the back of the declaration form still lists the current maximum amount that can be imported without going through a broker.

For other than computer equipment, the current maximum is $1000. For Computer Equipment it is $4000.

In the past, when I was importing significant amounts on each trip and the duties were higher (54 % at one time for Orient), I went down to the Office Supply and bought an array of different sales forms. I then made templates for each one in MS Publisher. That way I could show a variety of reciepts from different suppliers on a single trip. Nowadays, my imports are fewer and I have ALWAYS gotten the $150.00 per person exemption (FM3) when I have shown my documents and requested it. Consequently, I rarely make up my own docs anymore.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 07:56 PM

thanks MrBillMi been trying to find out the exemption for a person with an FM3 for a long time good to know that the first $150.00 is exempt have a good one

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 08:11 PM

i too wanted to bring down some dug fir 2 by 8s i was taking an 18 foot inflatable boat and moter down to loreto so i made my boat trailer into a regular trailer by using the 2 by 8s as the deck and box i doubled the bottom by shorting the bottom row in the back and the inside front was piled with gas can life preservers the boat was rolled up in its case and moter tyed to the deck no one gave it a sceond glance
when i got to loreto i blew uo the boat mounted the moter got everthing readdy to go . backed the trailer into the water slight north wind took no time to push the floating trailer with boat and moter crossways on the doc and into the rocks after some manuvering i got it back out and removed all but 4 2by 8s all said and done they were cut up, loaned out used for what ever but i never used a stick of them.I must have needed them really bad?? have a good one

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 08:15 PM

P.S.
brought it all back on one piece of old plywood on the same frame

jerry and judi
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:05 AM
Sneaking Across

I had a friend (now dead) with a casa in Gonzaga who bought a beat-up Aluminum Boat and some old crap fishing gear for the same purpose. He would stack his lumber and other stuff on the flat vehicle trailer and then pile the boat, fishing gear and other camping stuff on top, crossing at the Tecate Border just before they closed in the evening. He was (so he said) never stopped.
Another guy in Percebu who was working on four casas used a fullsize van. Loading the lumber, then 4-6 Sheltie dogs (they raise Shelties) on top, crossing at the Mexicali Garita Oriente just before closing at 10 p.m.

I've never had that much nerve. Getting caught obviously smuggling was not worth it. I'd rather pay something (reasonable) and go on my way.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:29 AM
If you pull into secondary going south

and claim what you are taking, you will be rewarded for your honesty. Just reduce the prices of what you paid if possible.:saint:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:33 AM

I can't believe this post, your building in Mexico buy your lumber here I think it will be cheaper.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:40 AM

Buying lumber in Mexico is not cheaper than getting it in the US and paying duty.

:no:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:44 AM
And if you already have the stuff

seems silly to just throw it away:light:

"I am only bringing (4) 2x4's 24' long, plus (8) 3" diameter pipes 10' long for use as posts.It's obviously not a commercial endevour."

:biggrin:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:46 AM

Trying to sneek it over the border and get caught they take your vehicle and it costs $2,000 to get it back and much time and heartache for a little saving.

(I use the amount above because that is what it cost us, plus taking everything and keeping it)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:48 AM
cant get there

i have not seen douglas fir in Loreto structualy its fare better then pine so i brought some with me i now fly in and out and only bring in what i have to because i cant get it down there

jerry and judi
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:14 PM
Buying in Mexico

The problem with buying in Mexico is quality and variety. In recent years I have bought more and more in San Felipe as the supply has improved, notably 4x Posts and plywood. One thing that I bring most frequently from the U.S. are Quality 2x4s. When the Home Depot in Mexicali opened, I rejoiced. I was sick of the border routine importing lumber. Alas, I found that their 2x4s looked like the culls from every other store and they were 35 pesos (3.50 at the time). Premium White 96" 2x4s were $2.69 at Home Depot in El Centro. If you paid the Legal Duty on the full value, it was still cheaper, but more importantly, it was the quality desired. The other situation is odd stuff like T-111 or T-303. Although the place where I buy lumber in San Felipe CLAIMS that he can get it anytime I want it, that hasn't turned out to be the case and when I have been able to get some, the premium paid was outrageous.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The penalty for non-declaration is 120 percent of the value of the merchandise and they keep the goods. That's also listed on the back of the Declaration Form. I had one friend who brought across a brand-new Honda Genset purchased in El Centro. Still in the box and he attempted to go through the no-declaracion. Caught. They seized his truck (to make sure he paid) and it cost him $1200 plus he lost the genset. It's not worth it. If you declare, even using fraudulent invoices, you're better off. They might not accept your declared amount if they're suspicious of the invoice, but that only results in them charging you what they think it's worth. No seizures.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris- Leaving for Percebu tomorrow a.m. Our plans were delayed due to some Dental work Linda had done. Weather in YV has usually been 95-105 with Low Humidity (20-30 percent).
We've been driving up to the mountains (Silent Valley) 2-3 times weekly to swim and picnic. Not looking forward to the heat and humidity in Percebu, but we have plenty of gasoline for the A/C if needed.

viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:18 PM
Weather

Bill,

You home or in Percebu?

Hows' the weather?

Chris
Awatson

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Yea, that has generally been my experience. The stuff I would like to buy is simply not available.

Contrary to an earlier post, I am not trying to smuggle this in, I would gladly pay for it in Mexico at any price, if it was available. It just isn't. I just want to pay the tax and head south!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.