Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quad, need 4X4??
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:03 PM
Quad, need 4X4??

I'm looking into buying a couple of quads for using at our place on the East Cape. They will be used for transportation on the dirt roads, exploration of the sandy washes and maybe to launch a tin boat (future purchase) across the beach. I want the utility kind with racks front and rear, not the dune jumping version.
The big question is, do I need 4X4 or will the 2WD ones work just fine? What is your experience? Thanks, Tom

[Edited on 8-31-2005 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:21 PM

We use two wheel drive models...Honda Ranchers. I've never had a reason for 4x4 but, If you intend to move any boat on a beach, I would get at least one 4x4. The problem will always be digging into soft sand when pulling a load....Oh yeah...Don't put your foot down while moving:tumble::tumble:

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:21 PM

4x4 is a must if towing across the beach or in soft sand.

400 cc or larger. Even then, I've buried the quads!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:29 PM
4 x 4

Chris - I told my buddy Gerhard the same thing when he bought his Quads. Since he had no intention of towing, he bought the 2wds and he's told me more than once how glad he was that he didn't waste the money. Other than towing on a soft beach, the 2wds will go anyplace you want to.
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:48 PM

Beware of the restrictions on quads on the beach at the East Cape recently.

Don
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 02:38 PM
To not get stuck on the east cape beaches

you will be happy you got 4x4. They are just steep enough and just soft enough to warrant 4wd.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 03:03 PM

i think the "chief" resides over todos santos way, not east cape - right Tom? que pasa? or did you move?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 03:14 PM

Mike, We did move. We still have the land at Los Cerritos, but we fell in love with a lot with a view of a surf break about 16 miles NE of San Jose del Cabo. That is where the house is being built.

JR, you may be right about the 4x4 as we do have a steep beach sometimes depending on how large the surf has been.
Now as I think about I've seen sombody struggling to get up over the berm on a quad.

After reading all these great responses I think maybe I'll get one of each. The 4x4 will be used for launching the boat and the 2x will be the buddie bike for exploring. How's that for a waffle? Thanks everyone.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 08:02 PM

Hi Tom, do take a look at the quads made by Polaris... They have a 'floor' (not just a peg) to rest your foot on, so no slipping off and running over your own leg! One 4WD and one 2WD as you say, is great idea. The 4WD with auto tranny (and reverse gear) is nice, because you get stuck or in a box canyon, you get out without pushing the beast.

This little bit of advice is from my brief quad rides to Mision Santa Maria (30 mile ride) and again at Punta Cabras, L.A. Bay, etc.

So, you are officially retired from Vista Fire Dept.? Congrats!!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 08:03 PM

Get one w/a winch.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:06 PM

just buy a susuki sameri best of both worlds

jerry and judi
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 11:17 PM

Jefe,
definitely get the 4X4. I have had both and it's worth paying a little more for the extra power and the secure thought, that you can go anywhere... polaris is good and the Suzuki Eiger is awesome as well..
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 01:11 AM

El J'

Jerry does have a valid point. Suzuki makes several models Sidekick, Samurai and the newer Geo all have 4 x 4 and actually cost less than the quads and go almost everywhere a quad goes and they're cheaper!! (did I already say that?) 4 x4 Quad around 4k to 6k. The Suzukis around 2.5 k. With all that said, I too am looking for a pair of quads. If you find a dealer thats willing to wheel and deal, drop me a line
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 04:41 AM

I live on the beachfront in Los Barriles.
If you have "leased" the beach concession from the Federal Government, and it is in place, and you have a copy of this, then and only then can you legally use this part of the beach for your own use, including your own use of an "atv".
For pulling up a dinghy from the water to a higher place on the sand, the 4wd models are mandatory. Other types, just get stuck.
The days of just riding up and down upon a beach, for fun, is now over.
Enforcement now takes place, and it is harsh.

The days of hotel guests flying down, getting high on beer, then renting a quad and doing "donuts" up and down the beach, is now completely over.
ATV use on the main streets without VALID Mexican license plates, and by under age drivers, will be the next thing that gets the enforcement.

Saludos,,,,,mc
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 09:42 AM
sounds exactly like southern california...

Quote:
Originally posted by mrchuck
I live on the beachfront in Los Barriles.
If you have "leased" the beach concession from the Federal Government, and it is in place, and you have a copy of this, then and only then can you legally use this part of the beach for your own use, including your own use of an "atv".
For pulling up a dinghy from the water to a higher place on the sand, the 4wd models are mandatory. Other types, just get stuck.
The days of just riding up and down upon a beach, for fun, is now over.
Enforcement now takes place, and it is harsh.

The days of hotel guests flying down, getting high on beer, then renting a quad and doing "donuts" up and down the beach, is now completely over.
ATV use on the main streets without VALID Mexican license plates, and by under age drivers, will be the next thing that gets the enforcement.

Saludos,,,,,mc
only a little warmer:lol::lol:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 9-1-2005 at 10:38 AM

:lol::lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 11:21 AM
Mr, Chuck....

one would not be able to drive a quad with US plates on the streets in the East Cape? Why only Mexican plates?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 9-1-2005 at 11:33 AM
"The days of hotel guests flying down, getting high on beer, then renting a quad and doing "donuts" up and down the beach, is now
completely over.

Yep, now it's just the gringo homeowners doing it!:lol::lol::lol:
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 09:56 PM

Bedman, I bought 4 at one time and you definitely get a better deal. Almost knocked about $800 off each bike..

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.