Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Rods and Reels
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 05:22 PM
Rods and Reels

I'm going through my stock of old rods and reels and feeling like I really ought to have one or two new shiny ones before I head south. I'll have a small boat and be doing some near shore casting as well as getting offshore on the calmer mornings.

Ok, all opinions invited;

What two or three rod-reel combos would you bring ?
Maybe a third for surf casting near Todos Santos ?
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 07:20 PM

I guess the first part of the question is how much do you want to spend?

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 07:41 PM

Enough. After all it's a gift to myself ! :lol:
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 08:05 PM

I'm with ya' on that. Still reasonable but nice would be a 7' Seeker/Torium setup.

bajadave1
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 02:38 AM
Second part?

Can you use level wind reels? If so, I'd recommend Shimano Catala or similar, with 6 ft. casting rod. I got a good deal last year on matched outfits from Cabelas, with 400 series reels that have a large capacity for line. Also, I use an 11 ft. Cabela surf rod with a large Daiwa Spinning reel. All work really well. Good luck, Dave:cool::yes::yes:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 04:44 PM

In the past, I have come down with a light surf-casting rig, a light casting rig 8-10lb and a heavier rig for trolling and jigging somewhere around 20 lb.
But realize, I'm self taught and could be doing it all wrong although I have managed to fool a few fish over the years ! :lol:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Your light tackle seems to be covered.I would look into something heavier for jigging,live bait fishing and trolling.
A 30-40lb and a 50-60lb outfit.
700m Calstar Grafighter , Newell 332
6465h Calstar,114h Penn 6/0

This may be off base as to what Diver wanted, but can you tell me why your choice of Newell 332 is better then Penn 113 HLW with a 30# 600 yard spool (275 yards more then Newell) and all other specs seem to be equal. I want to get the most out of my choice as I can't haul that many reels around. I understand the Penn can be used Surf and Jig and some trolling and has both aluminum and brass spools (@ $35 each) with full graphite cage. I may be dreaming, but I think both would work on a 100# fish if you got that lucky and had enough line. Bigger fish equals bigger boat(charter) and they would have bigger reels. A Penn 6/0 would be handy. Your rod choice are great, but $200-300 is more then my I can find in my pockets now.
This sounds more about me then Diver, but there is just a lot to learn.
Al G

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 06:25 AM

allso look for reels were parts are easyly available. penn and shimano are easy to get parts for in the south of baja. love the torium series, they are fast retrieve(yellow tail, tuna, barios, ect.) and they are resonable.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
The 332 Newell is an easier reel to use for casting jigs.Casting surface iron at Cabrilla,school size Yellowfin,Dorado,White Seabass and Yellows the 332 is hard to beat.This type of fishing you don't need outrageous amounts of line.You could even fish live mackeral with it."Flylined mackeral that is.Bottom fishing for grouper or Blacks I would break out the 6/0. A Penn 113HLW would serve the same purpose as a 114h.Although a narrowed 113h with a Newell high speed gear("Yellowtail Special") is a great reel also.I think Penn makes something called a "Baja Special" which is a narrowed 4/0.I just think that the 332 is a more versatile reel.
Fishing Loreto a couple of seasons ago(haven't fished there since the early 80's)we both hooked sails while fishing Dorado.We were both using 332's.Although I wished I had hooked it on a 4/0 we both landed(both released) the fish.
My advice was for sound tackle and the most bang for the buck. Penn reels ( Newells are pretty much Penns) have probably caught every fish that there is to catch but there are much better reels out on the market.I gave all of my 6/0's to friends in Mexico.JMHO.

Whistler,
Please explain ,"Flylined mackeral that is", is this a type of line wrap to secure for casting and if so have you used "Break-a-way rig?
Also you recommend the Newell 332 "high speed". Why is it for Yellow tail? Can Stren super braid be used on this reel?
Sorry if some of my question don't make sense, but everyone starts somewhere. The newell sounds like sound advice and for $113 cheap enough.
Forgot to ask, can the spools be changed in a couple
minutes like the Penn??
Albert

[Edited on 9-2-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 08:31 AM
Reels

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
allso look for reels were parts are easyly available. penn and shimano are easy to get parts for in the south of baja. love the torium series, they are fast retrieve(yellow tail, tuna, barios, ect.) and they are resonable.

4Baja,
What is the Shimano reel # number you recommand for casting and jiging and why?
Albert

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 08:38 AM
Todo Santos

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I'm going through my stock of old rods and reels and feeling like I really ought to have one or two new shiny ones before I head south. I'll have a small boat and be doing some near shore casting as well as getting offshore on the calmer mornings.

Ok, all opinions invited;

What two or three rod-reel combos would you bring ?
Maybe a third for surf casting near Todos Santos ?

Diver,
Where do you surf cast in Todo Santos?
I have tried Punta Lobos and Palm beach, but no luck. Punta Lobos seems it would have fish. How do you fish it? Iron? Live bait and if so where do you get it?
Albert

[Edited on 9-2-2005 by Al G]

Albert G

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
But after it's all said and done,no matter what tackle you have,it ain't no good unless you know how to use it.

I was kinda hoping no-one would mention that point !:lol::lol:

Please don't tell the fish, if I can't fool them into thinking I know what I'm doing, all is lost. :lol::lol:

A few years back, I was returning from Baja, having broken my light casting stick. On the way through southern Colorado, I got the urge to wet some line for trout in a local pond. I remember the rig I had with me was a spinner with 15 or 20 lb line. I rigged a red devil on a looong leader and threw a few casts into the pond before I caught my first. Caught a few more, tried a few more lures and we had a nice trout dinner for four.

Earlier that same season, on the way down to Baja we had stopped outside Durango at the reservior and pulled out our limit snagging salmon at the damn. I used the same rig that I used for the trout and that I had used to catch a few Dorado in Baja in between !

I know it's like using your salad fork for the main course (how gauche), but the fish haven't seemed to mind, so far !:lol::lol:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 11:12 AM

Pompano,

I don't know if it was the picture of the rig or the fish but.... I just ordered the Daiwa rig, Calstar stick and super lines ! Can't wait until it all get's here !

I feel a little better now, thanks ! :lol: :lol:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 11:32 AM

Where in OR ?
We'll probably be crabbing in Netarts next weekend and the one after.
If the seas are calm, we'll take the 17' tin boat out the inlet to drop some bait.

Al,

I have tried both lures and live bait from the southern beach off San Pedrito (usually lures), from the sand beach beyond the southern point at Playa Cerritos and from the beach towards the north point at Los Cerritos when the waves were down some. Had very limited sucess. Best luck at the last place mentioned. I was just exploring from places we camped.

Having spent some time in south Fla and the Carribean, I always carry a cast net to pick up small bait fish. We used to stop inside the first reef to net bait on the way out to the gulf stream.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 01:09 PM
Cast Nets

Quote:
Al,

I have tried both lures and live bait from the southern beach off San Pedrito (usually lures), from the sand beach beyond the southern point at Playa Cerritos and from the beach towards the north point at Los Cerritos when the waves were down some. Had very limited sucess. Best luck at the last place mentioned. I was just exploring from places we camped.
Having spent some time in south Fla and the Carribean, I always carry a cast net to pick up small bait fish. We used to stop inside the first reef to net bait on the way out to the gulf stream.

Thanks Diver,
I know where those places are, but just haven't gotten that far south.
I will try them soon. I know the best fishing is on the Cortez, but I will be living Todo Santos and taking trips to Loreto, Mulege, La Paz etc. When I'm home I must still be able to fish or I will drink to much Pacifico.
Wait a minute can one have to much Pacifico??????:saint:
I have a cast net, but at 10' maybe to big? I haven't used it because some people said I could get into hot water with the local fishermen ???:o What is right? If I can not get bait, (and believe me I have tried) what's the harm? Is there a protocol like asking, bribing, or begging???:lol::lol::lol:
Albert

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
My easy, low-cost, good quality choice for variety fishing in one outfit: Stop at Fisherman's Landing,... Hook, Line & Sinker, or your own favorite tackle shop and buy the Diawa Sealine-X 30SHV (3 ball bearings, 6.1.1. Hi-speed ratio and mount it on a Calstar Gf 700 L 15-30wgt Grafighter and spend some money on the new super lines. I have never lost a yellowtail near San Marcos from a 30 or 40lb line breaking...I HAVE lost a few due to operator error.

I bought just this outfit a couple years ago on a San Diego trip (Total cost was around $250) and use it a lot in Baja nowadays for different jobs. Just my two cents...whatever you chose, have a ball in SLC!

Can anyone say which super line is best? I wouldn't ask the question except there is one hell of a price difference.
Stren super braid is maybe 4 X the money. (1500 yd is $150)
I don't mind the money as long as there is a difference.
Albert

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Al G..I have a throw net that I use in front of my Coyote Bay home for catching lisa..small baitfish...for our trips to the rocks. Called a ta-rah-nyah...spelling may be taranya or ? Lots of people here use them..Mexican and American...no problema that I have ever heard. My instructor was Manuel Diaz about 32 years ago.

As far as diameter of net...that's up to your expertise, although most guys use the same as you have. Mine is a tenner. Are you draping it right over your shoulder?

[Edited on 9-3-2005 by Pompano]

Thank you big time Pompano!
As for my expertise, I am just as likely to throw myself in as my net.:lol::lol:
Maybe on my trip in november could you give me some pointers????
I follow your posts and respect what you say.
Albert

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 01:59 PM

Pompano you gota date!
I will let you know shortly. I house sit for friends in Todo Santos and am waiting for them to frim thier plans. Also trying to be at The Mulege Classic
Tournaments Fall Yellowtail Tournament will be held in Mulege, BCS,
Mexico on November 11th and 12th. Chuck and Susanne should let me know next week. What do you drink?
Albert

Albert G

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 02:05 PM

Albert...I drink Pacifico, rum, vodka, scotch, whiskey, tequila, brandy, and prune juice. But if you don't have a magnum c-cktail glass like mine,... a cold Pacifico by itself is okay, too.

I will be there by the tourney time! Come hell or high water!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 06:23 AM

All those in one glass ?????? :lol:

Reminds me of my 21st birthday c-cktail (college).
They topped it all off with cream de menth and I woke up to the prettiest green pizza on the floor next to my bed !

Actually, I woke up and rolled over to kiss my then beau. She opened her eyes (must have smelled me coming) and screamed bloody murder; I apparently had green matter on a large part of my face. She immediately sat up, swung her feet over the edge of the bed and stepped down right into the green pizza with both feet !

So much for my birthday kiss, etc......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.