Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tequila Question
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 02:19 PM
Tequila Question

On a return trip from Guatemala in 1979 I bought 2 bottles of unmarked tequila in the town of tequila (on the segunda clase train). I still have one. Do you think it is drinkable? Will it kill me? Should I have put a cork in it and aged it like a bottle of wine? Will it be as good as Don Julio?
Thanks
Martyman
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 02:43 PM

By no means risk your life by drinking this substance, which is undoubtedly toxic.

Send it to me so I can dispose of it properly.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 02:46 PM

It needs to be turned into the authorities, Immediately !!!!!!!

Note: Must of us here are authorities of one sort or another.

Therianthropic
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 06:08 PM

Even if it was "joven" at the time, it is now "reposado" , if not "a?ejo". Enjoy.

Some of the best tequila I've ever tasted came in little wooden barrels with no name.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 08:43 PM

Two years ago I stumbled upon a bottle of 1966 Jim Beam with the seal still intact. The gal that had it said she found it in her moms stuff when she was cleaning out the cupboards. She gave it to me and a friend. That was the best tasting whisky either of us have ever had the pleasure to sip. Marty, I'd say you either going to be one very lucky man, or one very sick one. Drink one for me!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies and offers to test it for me. I think I'll break it out soon and hopefully kill some intestinal parasites I receives on a recent trip to the southland. Happy drinking!
Martyman
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Even if it was "joven" at the time, it is now "reposado" , if not "a?ejo". Enjoy.

If that worked everyone would buy joven and wait a few years. :biggrin: Unfortunately, Tequila doesn't age in the bottle.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 11:34 AM

Dave
Can I age it by uncorking the bottle and putting in a oak strip that they sell at the wine supply store? Should I put it on it's side with a real cork?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 11:35 AM
But it sure does in the wooden casks

Oso was talkin about.
Since Puerto Nuevo is this Animal House, Frat Party, Tourist Place, with Frozen Lobster, that no self respecting "Nomad" would ever set foot in, I will share a secret with you guys.
There is a restaurant there called Sandras. They make their own Tequila wherever the family ranch is in Mexico mainland.
They sell this tequila (Sandras) in their restaurant in Puerto Nuevo. They also custom design the wooden casks with your name on it or whatever.
We had one of these casks that was basically forgotten about because we had another one made. It turned up 2 or 3 years later about half full. It had the absolute best woodsy, smooth flavor of any tequila (or Mezcal) I have ever tasted.
Note, it is mandatory to keep tequila in these casks or the wood dries out and they get ruined.

Next tip, where to buy live lobster in Puerto Nuevo which we do every holiday to take up to the family gatherings>:lol::lol::lol:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

If that worked everyone would buy joven and wait a few years. :biggrin: Unfortunately, Tequila doesn't age in the bottle.

You may be right. If so, I stand corrected. A reference to your source for this bit of knowledge would be of interest. Personally, I've never had a big enough "wine cellar" or strong enough will power to "wait a few years".:no:

I may have mentioned this before, but the SLAZ Food City continues to sell clear Viuda de Romero @ $5.99/.750LT with a sign on the aisle stand saying "Tequila Reposado". I've told the mgr. that if he's going to claim that, he should at least "repose" the bottles on their sides. He smiled. The sign's still there a month later, so the smile basically meant GFY:lol:

[Edited on 9-3-2005 by Oso]

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 08:24 PM
Anybody seen this?

Dude up here in Temecula is making Tequila - apparently the climate & soil are similar to Jalisco. Obviously he's having some trouble with the name (just like calling California sparkling wine "champagne") but ya gotta hand it to the guy for being entrepreneurial.

http://www.temequila.com/pages/1/index.htm

I'm tempted to order some but at $58/bottle I may wait for the reviews. :bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.