Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can you help us help?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 05:15 AM
Can you help us help?

Hi there.

After watching online video clips of the New Orleans situation at the convention center and superdome...and listening to XM radio w/my husband most of the night (despite the fact that we are fishing this morning) we've decided that we'd like to take in a mother and children from the disaster area.

I don't know how to do this but perhaps if anyone will be coming to Baja, driving or whatever, you could drop a mother and her children off with us.

She will have full communications here to keep in touch with any family members and/or look for a job (online).

This was my husband's idea and I agreed to it.

If this seems impossible then maybe you know of a place online where I can look for somone similar in need. I'll check relavent links here. I'll also visit migration and see what they say.

Thank you
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 05:51 AM

Hi, Pam...the more I hear from you the more impressed I am with your talents and abilities, and now I am impressed with your compassion. You have gotten to the heart of the matter with your offer. One of my co-workers has hundreds of extended family members in the disaster area, and she is overwhelmed with the need to find homes, jobs, clothes--everything for them. Even small things like a gift certificate to buy clothing are welcomed with gratitude. I don't have any concrete information to offer you in how to go about what you are doing, but I certainly offer my support. My neighbors are talking about how we can sponsor a family to relocate in our area. I hope we see more of these efforts to help in individual ways, as well as through the united efforts of official disaster relief organizations. This feels like a very personal disaster that could happen to any of us at any time. We really are puny little humans in the face of earthly disasters, but we can still do our best. Thank you and your husband for your generous hearts. I will ask my co-worker if she has any thoughts that I can relay to you. Zoe
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 07:57 AM

Pam - This question was raised on the news yesterday: I'm in Hometown Wyoming and want to open my home to help hurricane survivors; we could take a single mother with child.

The response indicated two problems with this approach.

First, there are a myriad of forms to be filled out for each displaced person, in order for him/her to receive funds for federal aid and to find/build permenant shelter. This is a difficult task at best, and is greatly helped by keeping survivors either reasonably close to the scene of the disaster or in large groups in specific locations. Survivors must be able to return perhaps many times to the centers which gather this information; to not do so is to get lost in the shuffle, thereby losing the aid needed to relocate and recover.

I have worked disaster recovery situations many times.... and yes, all that paperwork is absolutely necessary in order for individuals to receive much needed funds and medical care.

The second reason I found more troublesome... national health organizations are extremely concerned about the disease that may be carried by some survivors, and they do not want people temporarily relocated to areas far from the hurrican site due to fears of the spread of these diseases.

While the idea of the spread of disease is rather frightening, I fail to see how - in this age of easy travel - it makes sense to suggest this as a reason for not placing survivors with whomever is willing to help them.

It's obvious that holding people close to the site and keeping many in large sheltered groups is a rather short-term answer. I'm certain that when this temporary period, the time of info gathering and attempts to recognize and treat disease, has passed there will become opportunities for good people throught the world (such as Pam and her family) to invite survivors into their homes and help in their effort to restore their lives.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-2-2005 at 08:34 AM
Thanks

for that slant on things, Natalie Ann. It makes sense.
LaRibereña
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 08:28 PM

Try www.hurricanehousing.org
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 08:09 AM

Pam - Apparently the idea of keeping hurricane survivors close to the scene has been given up. This morning's headlines in the San Francisco Chronicle says that hundreds of evacuees are heading to San Francisco; the city is looking for large housing areas and hoping to get children into 'school' ASAP.

I also see that many people have posted housing offers on Craigslist
http://www.craigslist.org/

I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you the very best luck with your endeavor. God bless you and yours.

**p.s. See your u2u

[Edited on 9-4-2005 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 09:21 AM

The close Areas are full. Here in Amarillo, Texas we are especting 750 Peopele, while in Lubbock, Texas a 1,000 have arrived. Other small Towns and churches are expecting Planes all over this State.

I am glad to hear that San Fran is stepping up to the Plate.

I understand that most all of the Paperwork has been stopped until the person reaches a safe Shelter. All people are being I.D. ed if possible for Security sake.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 02:39 PM

The Texas Education System is starting Schools for all the children, first to open this Monday in Houston, Lubbock, amarillo, Austin , Dallas.

People helping People are the Luckist People in the World
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 01:55 AM

http://www.homesforkatrina.org

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 08:55 PM

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20050905-9999-1n5ev...

People with substantial means are helping in BIG ways.

God Bless You. Mr. Perez.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.