Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Tin Boat Limitations
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 10:23 AM

This is an interesting post and as usual we have lots of opinions. If what you have is a 14 ft. tin boat and you want to fish the tournament, go for it and do the best you can. Do not take unnecessary chances, but those boats have been plying these waters for a long, long time. Go slowly, get the experience, learn from those who know more than you do, and most of all enjoy the journey.
When I fished mostly by myself, a 14ft Klamath was an absolutely perfect platform, and I could carry as much bait as I wanted, and get to all the places where the "big boys" were catching fish and always managed to do my share and sometimes a little more. Now I have a larger boat but since my wife has learned to fish and enjoys being out there as much as I do, the extra comfort and safety is nice.
At San Lucas Cove we have a guy by the name of Glen who has fished his whole life from Alaska to Mexico. I daresay that if he chose to enter the tournament in his 14ft Gregor with a 15hp Honda, he would probably kick everybodys butt.
This guy and his wife leave SLC everymorning in the dark, make bait before most others even get up, and he is on the most productive yellowtail hole before first light. At first I used to worry when he would be out until late in the day when the water was so rough that the big boats all came back in, but I soon learned that this guy really knows the water and would be out in water that sent everyone else home.
One day he was fishing when no one else was out there at the north side of San Marcos Island, and needless to say it was beyond rough. He hooks a big yellowtail and is fighting the fish when a seal gets ahold of the fish and starts to fight really hard to get the fish. As the seal starts to swim up current, Glen's boat gets pulled backwards into the waves and starts to take water over the transom. Now it is easy to say that you would just cut the line, but all of your concentration is being taxed to the max just to keep the boat upright and headed properly in relation to the sea. Well, they did take quite a bit of water before he did manage to get his line cut, but he then went in to a calmer section of water, rerigged and then went out and caught two more.
The point here is that in a smaller boat, the rough water can be ridden well if you know your boat, have it balanced properly, and have tons of experience. And yes, he has a VHF radio, GPS, oars, and a well tuned and properly maintained engine.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 11:38 AM

Pescador

Thanks for the fill in on Glen&Gloria, we've known them for at least 16 years and he hasn't changed at all, one thing I might add is that Gloria does not know how to swim and is terrified of the water. Yes one other thing he is the 1st person that I know of to put Beach wheels mtg through the boat hull.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 11:22 AM
For regular use in Baja

I would strongly suggest a tin boat with a console, preferably a center console, if you dont HAVE to do the cartopper thing.

A boat that steers from the stern has so much less margin for error in steering, and running downswell can cause the tiller to have a mind of it's own, IF YOU EXPERIENCE EVEN A MOMENT'S INATTENTIVENESS. And that can happen for a number of reasons; obstacles in your path, a sudden gust of wind, ...... or the sunbathing beauties at Pompano's beach (cue the pic insertion, Pompano!). It's much harder to wrench a steering wheel out of your control than it is a tiller. It's also much easier to turn the boat in the wrong direction in a left-means-right and right-means-left steering situation.

In addition, stern steering boats often are hand crankers which usually means they have no battery system. It's nice to have a bilge pump or two for the amounts of water than the low front end and transom on a cartopper will ship. Try bailing the front sections of the boat while you are sitting at the stern steering and you must remain underway due to the wind and waves. A console provides a good place for electrical switches and battery storage out of the elements. Also good for mounting fish finders and, boy, have good ones become cheap these days! Why not have one? Mounting ones in a conventional stern steering boat means a location that will be "in the way" invariably.

Weight distribution is also much better when you don't have the bulk of the weight at the transom. Console boats allow for better placement of a bait tank. They are also better able to balance the increased weight of a 4 stroke.

Also, consider that a center console boat will put you ahead of much of your hull's spray, when a strong wind is on your beam. You are a target for all of the spray at the stern. This is a major consideration if you plan on fishing in the windy, cool months of Nov thru April. You would think that the solution would be to run slow enough to prevent this but sometimes your speed is dictated by the conditions.

Tin boats at 19 feet or under really trailer very easily and can be towed by almost anything. Of course, no hand launching....you must have something resembling a ramp.

Look for a high front end like on the Klamaths, the Bayrunners, the Westcoasters or others intended for the occasional big water. A low front end usually means a design intended for lake fishing. It will work on perfect to moderate seas but in the tropics, the weather and seas can change in minutes.

Did no one mention one of the biggest advantages to tin boats; their economy? Plenty of them out there that get 6-8 nm/gal with a 4 stroke. A console boat also often has an internal tank which means no loss of room to portable outboard tanks.

Really, there are only a few disadvantages to tin boats. They usually have hard, angular interiors that are bruise-makers. They can be slap-happy in wind chop. And they tend to be loud as the sound of the waves on the hull is amplified by the hull acting as a megaphone. But none of this outweighs their significant advantages, especially on the Sea where the number of days with smooth conditions is much greater than the open ocean.

I have seen poeple out at SLC in some marginal conditions and they are astounding. But personally, I prefer to work on getting a tan on my knuckles rather than having them turn white on me. ;D .

Get a console boat if you can swing it.

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by Hook]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 11:48 AM
Boston?

Darn good info Whistlert. Never ran a tin boat w/center console, although I regularly made the Catalina Channel crossing in a center console Whaler.

I loved the high flotation and handling in rough weather, but they are quite heavy and not easy to tow around and beach launch.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 11:50 AM

Pompano........ I hate it when u do that..............now I've lost my train of thought. Thanks!!:biggrin:
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 01:29 PM

Whoa!!!
I didn't know that they have Dorado in North Dakota!!!!!

Therianthropic
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 02:45 PM
Well, we will have to agree to diagree on this one

.....but for my money, I'd rather be amidship than on the transom in almost all conditions; weather or fishing..

Hey, those beauties are REAL nice (especially the brunette!) but that's not the photo I remember.

Where's the au naturale ones????
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 03:15 PM
weight distribution

Can't tell if you mentioned this, Hook. But another positive of the center console is that you start to plane at lower speeds resulting in an overall gas savings and greater range. When Alex decides to visit me from the front the nose goes up, we slow down, and I have to sing out to get him back up there in a hurry.

Skipjack
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 03:33 PM

Good point, Joe. Sometimes it's difficult to counterbalance the weight of the driver at the transom, especially when he is fishing solo. You can't get your hands on that much ice.

I have had to resort to carrying massive quantities of beer as well.......:yes:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 03:35 PM

Well, we fell of the train of thought a little but the guy was asking if he could enter the yellowtail tournament with a tin boat. I think Hooks ideas were fine, have to since I own the finest tin boat center console in all of Baja, but if you have a stern steer tin boat, and that is what you can afford, by all means go get in the tournament and who knows you might even win something. My wife had never entered a tournament in her life and decided as a fluke to enter the San Marcos shootout in May, and she came away with third place overall. I daresay that her fishing ability has just about doubled since, not to mention her confidence.
So if you only have a kayak or a leaky innertube, go learn all that you can and have a good time. And now you have enough information to go out and catch a big bunch. Buena Suerte
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 03:39 PM

Skipjack

You bring up what I think is the most important, my current boat The fish box, storage boxes and fuel tank are all in the front of the boat. This was necessary due to the weight of the 4stroke 40Hp Mec. on a 14ft boat,my seat is in the rear my wife's more forward. I have had the boat out in seas where I surfed off of every wave, throttling back every wave then full throttle at the bottom. I was lucky enough to only have to do this for 4-5 miles when we where out off it my arm had no strength. A center console probably would have worked better. But you have to work with what you have.

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

At San Lucas Cove we have a guy by the name of Glen who has fished his whole life from Alaska to Mexico. I daresay that if he chose to enter the tournament in his 14ft Gregor with a 15hp Honda, he would probably kick everybodys butt.

Glen also kicks everyone's butt in horseshoes at SLC. And, if he thinks you're better, won't invite you to his horseshoe tournaments.

It's true!! I swear!! I practiced in front of his rig one day and was throwing ringers regularly while he watched. Later that day I wasn't invited (sniff, sniff) to the tournament. Glen was champ again.:fire:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 07:36 PM

Glenn and Gloria are not coming down this year and will certainly be missed by all. I know what skipjack means, Glenn used to come by my boat everyday to see what I caught, when I outfished him a couple of days he didn't come by till he heard I got skunked. Still, he is an inspiration, he can catch fish when no one else get's any.
They bought a house in Idaho and are going to spend this year refurbishing it. So bring your horsehoes and fishing tackle, should be a good year.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 07:36 AM
Changed My mind

I am now looking at 16' with 40 hp.
Can anyone suggest how this might work with Motorhome, jeep and boat? Is I dreamin'
The fifty pasos to fish is nithing so as Pompano said " I'll be there come hell(12'tin) or high water(16'tin)"
Albert

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 01:56 PM

12 footers are doable but a few more feet sure makes a difference, especially in the comfort levels. Check out the Crestliner 14 footer. Very stable, durable and roomy for a tin boat. Add a few ammenities like fishfinder, bilge pump, bait tank and rod holders and this thing is perfect for Baja. Fished in it last weekend 10 miles out at the island in Ensenada and along the cliffs and rocks at Punta Banda by the blow hole. Went everywhere the pangas went, just a little slower and with a 4 stroke it uses very little fuel. Very managable and fishable for 2 large guys. As far as the tourny goes get out there in anything that will float and have a great time....the fishin holes there are definetly accesable in a tin boat and the fish dont know or care what size your boat is!

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 06:49 PM
What??????

Always quarter to avoid spraying the skipper?
I never ride Caboose?
Seldom rocking chair?
Al

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 10:01 PM
Thanks again Pompano

I am sure glad someone is willing to put up with me!!
Since I also carry a two wheel "go for beer" scooter (40 mph max). I may leave my jeep home. Is there a reasonable way to get my boat launched if I trailer pull it to Baja? I will be stopping at several ports of call.
Al G

Albert G

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 10:25 PM

Late-night suggestions:

1. Bring extra cold beer and talk someone at the ramp into it ??:lol:

2. Bring one or two strong friends ??:no::lol:

3. Get a Zodiak and blow it up each time. :yawn::lol:

4. Get a 4wd, 4-wheeler ?? Yes !! :tumble::lol:

I have loaded my 14 footer by picking up the tongue and walking it down the not-so-steep ramps. Getting the trailer back up empty isn't too bad but you better have the extra beer for the haul-out !

When in Mulege', be sure to call Pompano
for boat loading and unloading services !!
I'm sure he'll be right there !!:lol::lol::lol:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 08:20 AM
Diver, You da Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Late-night suggestions:

1. Bring extra cold beer and talk someone at the ramp into it ??:lol:

2. Bring one or two strong friends ??:no::lol:

3. Get a Zodiak and blow it up each time. :yawn::lol:

4. Get a 4wd, 4-wheeler ?? Yes !! :tumble::lol:

I have loaded my 14 footer by picking up the tongue and walking it down the not-so-steep ramps. Getting the trailer back up empty isn't too bad but you better have the extra beer for the haul-out !

When in Mulege', be sure to call Pompano
for boat loading and unloading services !!
I'm sure he'll be right there !!:lol::lol::lol:

What percentage of beaches do you think, say a 500cc 4 wheeler could launch and pull out a 14-16'. I think I could put a quad on top of a modified boat trailer a lot easier then (and a hell of less weight for my motorhome to pull) putting a boat and trailer on top of my jeep on a heavy duty trailer:no::no::no: The quad would surely cost less.
How many Pacificos to get Pompano fired up to help hand launch????:lol::lol::lol:
Albert

[Edited on 9-8-2005 by Al G]

Albert G

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 11:48 AM

A 4wd quad would pull a 16' tin boat up any ramp I'd go down !
If you're lauching over the beach. a set of beach wheels makes life easy !
Or a few strips of plywood for the boat wheels to roll across any soft sand.
But neither are really neccessary.

Pompano, hand launch ?? probably not enough beer in Baja !!:lol:
But he's got 4wd !
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.