Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sailboat launch
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-3-2005 at 10:57 PM
sailboat launch

need to lanuch a keel sailboat in or around mulege or punta chivato. need ramp to be 5 feet deep

does anyone know where I can do this
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 06:56 AM

Hi Pompano: why not just tell him the answer. This is the proper use of annonymous. Someone who has a single question, probably doesn't intent to visit the board frequently, and does not want to go through the hassle of registering. Better to use annonymous than take up another handle that will only have 1 or 3 posts against it. Plus, all nomad's get to see the answer to the real question. It is the other annon's, that use this to attack in secret that are the problem. My 2 cents.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 07:55 AM

Santa Rosalia at high tide is a good one, kinda close
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

I disagree. More than a drop-by service bureau, I perceive this "place" as a community and anonomyous posters dilute that.

--Larry

Obviously, Doug disagrees with you, as he allows annonymous posters, and it is hard to envision a more legit use of annonymous.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 09:41 AM

I loaded my 30 footer w/4' 6" draft at Santa Rosalia. I had the engines trimmed up, so only needed about 3' 6". It is a concrete ramp. You definitely need work with the tide.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 10:00 AM
Any of you ever seen a crowded launch ramp?

Well, there aren't that many easy launching places in Baja anyway, so I don't think anyone who uses them regularly wants to see them cluttered up with every tom, dick and anonymous there is from cyberspace!

This is where perhaps a little courtesy of at least having a handle may increase your chances of getting an answer.:light:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 11:05 AM
My two cents...but it's worked for me before many times..

Okay...."How to launch your deep-draft boat in shallow waters."

If you are fortunate to have a nice level entrance to a gradual sloping shallow beach..like mine..and countless others in the area near Mulege/Pta Chivato...then you can launch your fixed keel boat like this:

You will need: 4X4 tow vehicle, boat on trailer, long stout tow rope or cable, beer, camera, and accomplice/s.

1. Wait until low tide..open a few beers, relax.
2. It's as low as it's gonna get...so back the sailboat on it's trailer out on the tidal flat as far out as you can with 4X4..don't get stuck, use your head..be aware of soft bottoms, etc. Mostly you wouldn't have a problem here because it's hard bottom...unless you have drank all your beers already.
3. Unhook tow 4X4 from boat trailer and drive back your vehicle back to beach.
4. Wait for high tide...open a few beers, relax. (Did you forget to unhook your vehicle and drive it out?..tsk,tsk.)
5. Tide is now coming up...best not drink right now. Pay attention to when the water is getting high to float the boat. Heave yourself away from the beer cooler and get out there with the long tow rope/cable. Shove the sailboat off, then temporality moor it.
6. Try pulling the trailer with your buddies to the beach..but you can't because you've drank way too much. So you hook up the tow rope/cable (you forgot it, right?) to the trailer front yoke. You stumble back to shore with the trailer tow rope/cable..and hook it up to the 4X4 and pull the trailer back to shore..shortening the rope/cable as you go...and having some stupid volunteer holding and guiding the trailer on it's way to shore...easy if sober, but maybe you should ask your wife to keep an eye on things, just in case.
7. Now you have the boat floating, the trailer back on shore and the rope/cable coiled and stowed.
8. Rinse the whole outfit with fresh water as soon as possible...got any beer left? Fish around under the ice..might be one down there somewhere.
9. After returning from beer run, look to see if boat has been stolen. If gone, ask where Pompano lives, he has collected way too many boats like that over the years.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 11:27 AM

Now that is funny!
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 01:08 PM

Thats me way off to the left looking for my trailer.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 01:30 PM
Pompano

It looks as if there is somewhat of a "list" going on there. Isn't it a little nerve wracking waiting for the tide if one wheel is sinking faster than the other?

Or maybe that's one of them 'side launch" trailers I been hearing about:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9/4/2005 by jrbaja]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 02:08 PM

Jr..naw, that just the nature of the beast. Manuel and I welded that contraption together out of whatever we could find in the dump and added a junked tandem truck axle. Launched and retreived the Pompano for many years just like this. Tires took a beating constantly but we refused to buy new and besmirch such a 'Baja endeavor'. My accomplice is Johnny Tequila holding the line, and true to his name, we inbibed a little after each event.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:30 PM

Sorry to cause such a ruckus

name- k benetti

I launch a capri 22 all the time up here in no. ca. The keel is about 4 foot with a draft of about 5 foot I use a 50 foot rope attached to the trailer then back to the truck. Our ramp is paved with concrete. I was hoping to find the same down around mulege or Punta Chivato

any help would be appreciated

thanks

kb
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:37 PM

THIS IS K31
YOU GUYS ARE SO FUNNY !
I LOVE YOUR HUMOR:P
ESPECIALLY THE CHICKEN MAN JRBAJA
WHO IS VERY CLOSE WITH MY FAMILIA EN LA BARCA.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:40 PM

HEY POMPANO!

YOU CRACK ME UP:bounce:!

MADE MY DAY WITH YOUR HUMOR!

STILL AT WORK AS ALWAYS.

BAJA NOMAD K31 EN LA BARCA TO SAN DIEGO.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 06:18 AM

Anon...got your response. Glad to help. Don't worry about some of the nonsense you see here. Manners are non-existent at times, it seems...and lately the children are naughty. I cannot speak for others, but I do think most here are glad to help with thier knowledge of things Baja. You just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Try the Sta. Rosalia concrete ramp or dropoffs nearby with access. Also if you get to Pta. Chivato the regular boat launch ramp there should be okay at high tide...if they let you use it. I have not used the old ramp out there for many years and things have changed there considerably. If I am at mi casa when you come through, you are welcome to use the ramp in the manner discussed in your mail. I hope you have a pleasant trip..on the road and on the water.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:33 AM

Good answers Roger.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.