Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Car in Mexico
johnEvegas

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 05:56 AM
Car in Mexico

I will need a car in Cabo and I have one here. I was looking into bringing it in but it is an infiniti FX and it seemed to be a real hassle and way too expensive to do.

I was thinking of selling it and getting something less flashy and better feul economy.

Does any one have any suggestions on bringing a car or where to buy a car in Mexico? Anyone have something decent to sell me once I get down there?

Thanks!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 06:43 AM

Get rid of the flashy car. You will be living in a salty environment, you dont need a nice car. I would sell the FX and buy something here. The prices will seem high but importation of a vehicle is very expensive. You might have enough money to buy a small new car, I would think. If you are an offroad kinda guy think high clearance. Also think ac....period.

johnEvegas

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Get rid of the flashy car. You will be living in a salty environment, you dont need a nice car. I would sell the FX and buy something here. The prices will seem high but importation of a vehicle is very expensive. You might have enough money to buy a small new car, I would think. If you are an offroad kinda guy think high clearance. Also think ac....period.

I was thinking of buying something like a Camry or an Accord about 6 or 7 years old. Will that be too difficult to import?

Does anyone have any good information on what my options are? Am I better off buying a car in TJ and then loading it up and driving it down? I am open to ideas and suggestions, I just want to get my cats and some stuff down to Cabo and I also need a car when I get there and I am lookiing for my best options.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:05 AM

Just a thought... Diesel is still much cheaper than gas in Mexico and WAY cheaper than in the U.S., at least now.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:14 AM

I was in Germany last month and rode in brand new 5-series BMW that was a diesel. Amazing how quiet it was. I had no clue it was a diesel until someone in the car made a comment.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:20 AM

It's my understanding that diesel cars cannot be imported into Mexico.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:25 AM

Why do you waant to "import" it?

Most people drive with US plates and Mexican insurance.

Don
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:27 AM

CARS & PETS

John.
For a car I would get something like a Corolla or Camry, unless you think of off roading. And I would just buy it in the States and never mind importing. Almost all gringos have their registration in the States, as long as you keep it up to date. That way ,you drive down with your animals and have no problems the first time down. From then on you fly. Have taken many trips with our dog and never ever have been asked for papers, Mexico or USA. ( We have them though ). Canadian customs will ask though.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 09:37 AM

Imported cars, in my opinion, are desireable for a couple of reasons:

You don't pay the high license fees and smog checks. Secondly, you don't need to maintain a US insurance policy, except for short term visits. I paid $45 for a one month policy (US) last year.

It makes no sense to not import a car unless you plan to return it to the US.

[Edited on 9-5-2005 by Tucker]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 10:39 AM

All of my vehicles are imported except for the diesel truck. I agree with what Tucker said. Cheaper and easier. And you dont look like a tourist.
Make sure the paper work is straight if you buy in Tijuana!

johnEvegas

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
CARS & PETS

John.
For a car I would get something like a Corolla or Camry, unless you think of off roading. And I would just buy it in the States and never mind importing. Almost all gringos have their registration in the States, as long as you keep it up to date. That way ,you drive down with your animals and have no problems the first time down. From then on you fly. Have taken many trips with our dog and never ever have been asked for papers, Mexico or USA. ( We have them though ). Canadian customs will ask though.

I was thinking of a 99 / 00 honda accord or toyota camry. Both seem that they will serve my purposes. How do I import that and how much will that cost me to do about?

There are plenty here in Las Vegas and I can get a decent deal and also move a few extra things to Cabo using a car.

Should I just come with an american registered car then look to make the switch to import once I get squared away?

Thanks for all the help / suggestions!

[Edited on 9-5-2005 by johnEvegas]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 11:26 AM

John

It will cost you about $900.00 and 3 days waiting for it to be done, also think you would have to do it at Otay Mesa or tecate.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:19 AM

I think they have used car lots in Cabo.........

Truck loads of cars going south through Muleg? all the time.

Must be going somewhere.....

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
johnEvegas

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:33 AM
3 days for what?

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
John

It will cost you about $900.00 and 3 days waiting for it to be done, also think you would have to do it at Otay Mesa or tecate.

When you say 3 days what does that mean? Do they hold the car or make changes or something of the sort? Thanks for all the info that you all have provided so far.
johnEvegas

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
I think they have used car lots in Cabo.........

Truck loads of cars going south through Muleg? all the time.

Must be going somewhere.....

I think that I am going to buy a car here (in las vegas) and drive it in. It is going to be a PAIN to get my cats in otherwise and I will be able to get more stuff here with me. My choices are plentiful here in Vegas and the drive will be an experience. I will be chiming in in about a monthor so to get some advice for that drive! Thanks everyone, I owe you a drink. Let me know when and where!

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by johnEvegas]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucker
Imported cars, in my opinion, are desireable for a couple of reasons:

You don't pay the high license fees and smog checks. Secondly, you don't need to maintain a US insurance policy, except for short term visits. I paid $45 for a one month policy (US) last year.

It makes no sense to not import a car unless you plan to return it to the US.
Tucker.
I agree that license fees are high in the States. However you can get smog checks waved and also don't need California insurance if you prove that the vehicle is in Mexico ( show Mexican insurance ) Have done it for many years on 3 vehicles.

[Edited on 9-5-2005 by Tucker]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:38 AM

Kind of screwed that up:?::?:
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:43 AM

Vandenberg..................Why would you want to? I've known folks who went through that process for no good reason. I can take my Mexican car to the states anytime I need to as long as I bring it back.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:44 AM

John

When you import the car at the border they impound the car its taken back to the US side and the title and other things are checked, then the title is stamped by US customs, brought back over if everthing is ok, I say 3 days it took me 5 depending how busy US customs are. Also check your u2u upper right hand corner of page.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:50 AM

If vehicle is registered in Imperial Co. (El Centro-Calexico) CA, there is no periodic smog checks, only first time registration in CA or change of ownership. Ins need only be purchased for 1 day - the day of registration. If you list a Mexico address, the do not charge the county portion of the license fee, but they do not mail renewal notices. The 1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc insurance you can buy in Mexico for US travel is accepted in Ca. - It is NOT accepted in AZ for registration.

:light:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.