Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Satellite TV-Internet-Phone
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 06:24 AM

Vandenburg - i just switched to Direct TV from DishRag here in Snotts Dale AZ. i got 4 receivers, one to take to my little tar paper shack in mulege, so i could use a 1.1 metre saucer.

how much? it won't fit in my plane, meet you half way?

if i bring down my activated receiver, does it just start to work?

Bob F - could Wayne get this done for me - does HE have the dishes for sale?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 07:29 AM

Mike,
See your U2U box
Chispa

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 08:50 AM

Does anyone use DishTV? How is the reception? What V.O.I. phone provider works best with it? Would I still need a 1 meter dish in Vizcaino? I noticed that they use the smaller dishes (18"-20"?) in L.A.Bay. How do you know what satellite your supposed to be on and how do you program your receiver for it?

I recommend everyone save this string of posts, your not likely to run accross this amount of great info anywhere else!
Thank you all. chispa
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 10:13 AM

I've watched DirectTV in Mulege at the neighbors....works fine...

You do need a 1 meter dish

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 10:34 AM
Dish

The standard smaller DishNetwork "antenna" works fine as far South as Gonzaga. I don't know anyone south of there. If you already have the dish, it's worth a try. As long as you can get a signal strength in the high 60s you should be fine, even in the usual rainstorm. The Dish 500 satellites are located at 110 and 119 deg west. To find a rough azimuth, punch in a zipcode in the U.S. at the same longitude. Elevation can be roughed in figuring a couple of degrees for each 100 miles south of the zipcode used. For Percebu, I used Calexico and peaked my signal about two degrees above that. Once you've got a signal, it's just a matter of fine tuning.
Chispa

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 04:47 PM

Thanks MrBillM, How's the reception with your DishTV system? Do you use a V.O.I. phone, if so, what provider do you use, and how well does it work?

I just found out about a friend of a very good friend here in AZ that sells satellite systems and parts for way below (supposedly) what the dealers do. I will find out exactly what he sells and what some of the prices are and post it, if it's o.k. with him.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 05:10 PM

There is some confusion here about VOIP.

Voice Over Internet Protocol is only available with internet connection just as the name implies. Television systems like Dish Network, DirecTV etc have absolutely nothing to do with VOIP.

To have VOIP you must be connected to the internet.

Chispa, you have u2u!

[Edited on 9-9-2005 by losfrailes]

[Edited on 9-9-2005 by losfrailes]
Chispa

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 10:19 PM

losfrailes, you are absolutely correct. That should teach me not to post with one leg out the door! chispa
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 10:59 AM
Misinformation at the Source

I've got one Dish Network receiver (model 1000) in Baja that loses it program authorization when left unconnected to power for over a week at a time. None of my other receivers have this problem, which only started since they changed out all of the Smartcards for the New Yellow ones. Obviously a glitch with that receiver's programming.

Anyway, to avoid the hassle of talking to tech support over Crystal Voice, I simply threw it in a box and brought it back this trip. After hooking it up ayer, I called tech support to get a signal beamed down. The "misinformation" part arose when the tech support gal said "oh, yes. This is caused by our not being able to see that receiver online when we communicate". DUH ! There is NO two-way communication with Dish Net TV. It is receive only. I was tempted to discuss it to find out if that story line originated from DishNet sources or she simply made it up herself, but I decided it wasn't worth the time.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 11:16 AM

Skype which has millions of users worldwide, is said to be the target of a buy-out by Ebay (the Ebay Corp>;) Skype is free and sometimes has a slight delay over slower connections like DirecWay. My best connections are often calls from my computer to a landline in the US. In Mexico I have Telnor Prodigy Aire.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 12:06 PM
Dish Network and DirecTV coverage

I downloaded coverage maps for Direc and Dish with dish Size recommendations from KVH.com, but I am unable to reduce them to 50K for posting. Anyone who is interested can either download them or send me an e-mail addr via U2U and I will be happy to send them.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 12:10 PM

Dish & Dtv both in La Paz with 1 meter dish, Dish not as strong. Some people have gone to 2 meter dish then get everything.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 12:31 PM

Ok, this is all great information! We are about 16 miles NE of San Jose del and just out of all cell phone range etc. We need it all; VOIP, internet and TV. So the dumb question is...Can I get it all on one dish, internet and TV from the same provider?

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 12:40 PM

Jefe

You will have to have seperate dish for each, the TV takes a larger dish different sattelite. Read Casa Manzana post for Directway.

[Edited on 9-9-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 01:19 PM
direct everything

i have direcway which works very well in Mulege. i also use crystalvoice to call the states (its ok, once you get use to the delay) direct tv is poor at best, you cant get most of the movie channels, encore is all i can get (no HBO, showtime etc.)and about 50% of the network stuff. and to get what little i do i had to install a 1 meter dish. canadian dish seems to be the way to go, everyone i know that has it is very pleased with it and its cheaper that direct tv.

Want what you have
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 05:15 PM

El Jefe,

You must have two separate antennas and systems.

A Satellite Internet System like DirecWay will allow you to hook up to a VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) of your choice. You then have phone service altho there is a delay due to latency lag, a phenomem when transmitting signal so far out into the universe.

A Separate system would be needed, and recommended, for Television. DirecTV with at least a 1 meter dish with get you lots, but not all. Before investing in a 2 meter dish, check out the price on them. It is significant.

Make sure if you buy a DirecWay system that you get someone who knows what they are doing to install it. It will save lots of headaches and explanations to the National Operations Center about where it is being installed.

Also you have available a Certified DirecWay Installer a lot closer than the CasaManzana suggestion of a guy in TJ. Check out the newer thread on this forum about Satellite Internet Service.

[Edited on 9-10-2005 by losfrailes]

[Edited on 9-10-2005 by losfrailes]
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 05:28 PM

Thanks Comitan and los. I had a feeling that one dish would be too good to be true. We have used VOIP Skype at WyFy spots in San Jose without a delay, but we are not sending the message 24,000 miles out to space and back with the land line connection. Guess we will have to get used to saying "over". Over and out, Tom

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 10:10 AM
BajaDishNet

Over the last few months I have been losing channels a few at a time on my "Mexicano" Receiver. The last time I talked to the man in San Felipe there were not yet any new codes. Yesterday I hooked up the receiver and nothing was available no matter how many times I reset. Figured that it was all finally gone after three years, but I left it powered up overnight to be sure. This morning it was still the same so I unhooked it and was putting it in the box when I looked and realized that I still had the Blue card in it. I had not put back the clone. Dumb and Dumber. I put in the clone and still have HBO-Showtime and the other misc stuff. Boy, would I have felt stupid if I had gone into San Felipe with it and it was pointed out that it was the wrong card, especially if the place was full of people.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 12:47 PM

Please let us know the end results here with your clone ok? We will be returning to San Felipe pretty soon.Hope we still have TV?
Chispa

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 11:56 AM

Quick Fix, maybe I'm the only one that did not know this, but, in case you don't this could save you allot of hassle. Last night I turned the tv on (Satellite DishTV500) to catch the news......and I only get about 1/3 of the channels, all say "information not available" and the date and time is Jan 4th! I spend over an hour trouble shooting with no results so I break down and call the provider, hang on the phone forever then finally a human voice. The instructions are to have the reciever and tv ON, then push the power button on the reciever in for 10 seconds and release it, and presto! It's fixed! Apparently local lightening storms or even a build up of static electricity can cause this signal distortion. If this helps one person It was worth posting. chispa
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.