BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Odyssey Batteries - anyone use one?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 07:39 PM
Odyssey Batteries - anyone use one?

For their 4x4 or offroad vehicle? A bit pricey but they sure do advertise that they have lots of reliability. I have two batteries now, but they are kinda old, like Neal Johns, and they are in need of replacement. Odyssey's huge battery would actually fit nearly perfectly in the space of the two I now have.

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/odyssey/start?tid=google-odysse...

John M
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 08:30 PM
Well, as a guy in the battery business...

...about all I can say is that they sure are 'pretty' to look at!

I've sold some to people that wanted 'cool' looking stuff and weren't worried about the price...however, for their actual performance numbers, I think they are way overpriced.

Also, their actual dimensions are a tad on the 'weird' side for most US vehicle sizes. Some of the smaller ones fit some motorcycles and ATVs, alright, but the larger sizes are a bit strange - maybe some metric standard? In the larger sizes they make an 8 inch and a 13 inch long battery...most US sized auto/Lt truck batteries are 9, 10, & 11 (ford) inches- with all GMC vehicles using the crappy 'side post' design. ...and large commercial highway trucks/tractors use the 13 inch size.

As for performance...their claim about "Double to triple the cranking power of regular size conventional batteries" is hogwash! An 8 inch flooded cell auto battery is also 550 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), and a 13 inch flooded cell truck battery has up to 1,000 CCA - the Odyssey's rating is 875 CCA.

Now if you have to have a 'sealed' battery, go ahead and spend the money, but keep in mind you will usually be giving away 15 % in CCA (starting power) over a good quality flooded cell battery.

There are other 'Gel' and 'AGM' sealed batteries on the market with similar performance specs (or better) than the Odyssey and will cost you less money...in my view, forget the Optima - 'six pack' battery with the coiled up battery plates - they are WAY DOWN on CCA's, Reserve, and Amp Hours due to their design - those 'voids' in the battery case between the 'circles' of battery plates are wasted space - which is utilized in standard batteries with more plate area in the rectangular, box-like design that has been used for decades!

Sorry, for my money, you just can't beat an old flooded-cell battery, in price or performance. Many auto/truck sizes are now available in no-maintenance type designs, which keeps you from having to fool with the vent caps - just don't forget to keep your terminals and cables clean and greased up to keep any corrosion to a minimum - especially true if your vehicle has terminal connections that are of the thin, formed metal type (not heavy lead type). These newer, thin connections are much more prone to having a bad connection between the post and the metal over time - get a good battery terminal brush and use it on the inside of the terminal, as well as the battery post and then coat with a heavy grease...

If you have a GMC product with side-posts (they all have em')- well good luck! Those are the worst ever battery post designs, and I see more of those with bad connections and leaking battery cases that all other makes combined! They come loose over time, are prone to leaking around the lead post in the side of the battery case, corrode easier and are almost impossible to 'jump' if you need too. You can convert to a top-post designed battery (like the rest of the civilized world) when your original battery craps out - get some adapters, or change the cables or cable ends.

Just some 'fun' stuff I run into in my daily life away from our beloved Baja California...!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 08:54 PM

I use two Odyssey PC1200MJT's in my Hummer H1. I think they are great. One of the best features is that they can be used in any orientation (except upside down) and for a side-mounted application that works well. They have been very reliable so far, they've been in for about a year with heavy usage.
++Ken++

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by Ken Bondy]
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:51 PM

I second what Mexray said ... most of the dry cell batteries sold for automotive applications provide misleading specs at best. Odyssey is a good example, where they use numbers that are not based on industry standards, making their batteries look like they perform much better than they actually do.

The ONLY real advantage these batteries provide is that they are impervious to evaporation. resistant to vibration and can be mounted in any position (for the most part). If that justifies their price for your application, go for it, but keep in mind that unless you spend EXTENDED periods in very hot weather, don't maintain your batteries and spend most of your time off-road, you are probably wasting your money.

My personal recommendation would be to keep a battery similar to stock (flooded) and set up a secondary battery bank on a continuous-duty solenoid or battery isloator to use when you are not running your engine. That way, you will always be able to start your vehicle, and will have extra juice for inverters, etc.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 05:53 AM

so...if you want a battery that you can shake-up, flip around, and replace more often...then it's OK but not necessary

...cause it does LOOK good!!
Don't most people like to look at their battery. It is under the hood...
Do Hummers come with a step-ladder to see the engine??:lol:

How long does the average person keep a car...4years...after that everything starts turning to junk...new battery every time:P

The side posts on my Chevy were junky fell apart the first year..only had problems with the batteries a couple of times...the alarm was very loud!!!

Ken has a Hummer....he can afford to replace the battery....:P
Don't ALL Hummers spend must of their time off-road anyway???;D

Isn't this technology the future???

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 06:10 AM

Odyssey/Optima batteries cost about twice as much as regular batteries. I solve this problem by taking a small amount of money out of Marian's purse every night. Optima is available at Costco.

Their CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is less than regular batteries.
Their claim of "twice" the cranking power is for maximum short term amp delivery due to a lower internal resistance. Does it matter? Probably not, unless you have a very big engine in very cold weather.

They are deep discharge batteries (will tolerate discharging much better than regular batteries).

They are more vibration resistant than most batteries.

They will operate in any position and are sealed (Resulting in little or no corrosion).

I have three Optima bluetop (deep discharge) batteries in my Tacoma Pop-Top Camper. I also have a Battery Brain that disconnects the battery when it discharges halfway or so, (because I left the lights on etc.) leaving enough juice (technical term for electricity) in it to start the Tacoma. Do I really need all this, naw, but it's not as if it was my money!

Battery Brain:
http://www.batterybrain.com/

Little known fact: John M is my father.
Current picture of John M:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 09:08 AM
Good shot Neal

Hey Neal, since it is such a good likeness would you tell me how to steal it and use it on the left, under my sign in name and stuff? John
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 02:49 PM

Will work on that, John. Standby.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 02:55 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight

and I don't want to cause another nasty "board-war" but I would simply like to offer some additional input on the subject. After I was stranded at Alfonsinas last year (I know, I know, could be worse) because of the failure of my stock liquid-filled batteries, I decided I never wanted that to happen again. When I got the problem solved with new batteries and got back home, I posted a request for recommendations on batteries over on the Baja.net board, which I understood to be heavily populated by serious offroad guys. The response was overwhelmingly in favor of the sealed Odyssey batteries as being the best and most reliable for heavy duty/offroad performance. I took their advice and have been very happy so far with the batteries.

Bob and Susan, the H1 batteries are easily accessible without ladders or any other external devices. Washing the front windshield, however, requires a hydraulic crane or high-lift forklift.

++Ken++
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 04:59 PM
Thanks Ken -

I'll go back and review the stats and do a search on "that other board" and try to find that thread.

John M
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 05:08 PM

be careful...that's the "darkside".... hurry back:lol:

Ken...the worst thing about our truck is the height.

I need a stepladder to get into the bed. I haul a trailer because the bed is sooo tall on the truck and the trailer is much lower.

I can barely reach the batteries.

I did see a couple of Hummers hauling bigger boats down Mex 1 last weekend. Lots of those BIG guys on the road. :spingrin:

My choice would be get the lowest maintance batters and replace them more often.

Mexray is right about some batteries with side-poles...ours spun around tin the first year. Junk

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 07:01 PM

Ken, no fight here, just trying to point out the facts. The only actual benefits provided by these batteries are in vibration resistance, flexible mounting and no evaporation. These benefits come at a great price and less amperage capacity. To top it off, the manufacturers practice misleading advertising.

Those are the facts. They are good batteries, and depending on your application, may really work for you. BUT, it it's capacity you're looking for, I would look elsewhere.

A final, closing point. When you get beyond the standard, cranking application, there is a lot to understand about battery setups. I'm talking multiple banks, powering inverters, radios, satellite phones and equipment, and there is no substitute for that knowledge.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 07:58 PM

Appreciate that Roberto. I am certainly no expert in batteries. I sure agree that Odyssey really hypes their batteries, and it is disappointing to hear, from someone like you who obviously knows the technical aspects of batteries, that their advertising is misleading and not based on industry standards. On the other hand, my H1 with its big 6.5L diesel engine, needs two 12V batteries in parallel to generate enough amperage to turn it over. This is completely subjective, but it sure seems to me that the Odyssey batteries turn it over quickly and with more "pep" than my old liquid filled batteries did. The engine now seems to start instantly. With the old batteries it seemed to crank a bit. I'm not sure how that relates to any of the battery properties you are referring to but it's just my honest personal observation. Regards,
++Ken++

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.