comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 06:37 PM
Baja Gas Saving

You decide?

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

[Edited on 9-8-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 08:50 AM

WOW.....

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 10:01 AM

Would you be considered to be an insurgent to the petroleum companies if we all started using it? If so I'm ALL for it!
As Jay Leno said are the gas stations now coating the nozzles with Vaseline?

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 02:10 PM

There's a lengthy thread adressing this on one of the motorhead forums. 'hope it's OK to post the link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363724

If that link doesn't work, go to forums at the above site, look for the 385 series forum (429's and 460's), and look for the header re adding acetone to improve fuel economy.

I find the idea plausible but have no way of knowing for sure. The explanation in the article mentioned above makes sense, and would further guess that it's not added to our gasoline because of pollution regulations (acetone is quite volatile). Acetone is also a potent carcinogen, so try to keep it off your skin (one pathologist told me it goes 'straight to your liver').

Ug
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 11:59 PM

I use Acetone in my Dodge Hemi PU (gas guzzler) & get 2.4 MPG EXTRA. No kidding. The trip computer gives me precise readings.

If I use a tankfull without Acetone, the mileage falls immediately to what I used to get.

Just get a couple of 2-3 Oz bottles & keep them filled in the vehicle. Saves big bucks nowadays!

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 05:10 AM

DON'T USE IT!!!!:fire::fire:

This stuff could eat up rubbery parts in you fuel system and cause nothing but problems.

Gas companies spend MILLIONS to produce the correct gas to run in cars and trucks.

The manufacturers make engines to adjust to different grades of gas.

I knew a marketing guy from Texaco who's job it was to get people to buy upgraded gas....he laughed EVERY DAY!!!

NO ONE needs to upgrade their gas or add gas additives.

THERE IS NO CURE FOR THE COMMON COLD!!!!
A sucker is born every minute....( or something like that)

Gas cost enough to feed the beast no need to repair it too!!!!

"As Jay Leno said are the gas stations now coating the nozzles with Vaseline? ":lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-15-2005 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 08:00 AM
natural gas may be the answer...

to our problems:lol::lol::lol:

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
DON'T USE IT!!!!:fire::fire:

This stuff could eat up rubbery parts in you fuel system and cause nothing but problems.

Gas companies spend MILLIONS to produce the correct gas to run in cars and trucks.

The manufacturers make engines to adjust to different grades of gas.

I knew a marketing guy from Texaco who's job it was to get people to buy upgraded gas....he laughed EVERY DAY!!!

NO ONE needs to upgrade their gas or add gas additives.

THERE IS NO CURE FOR THE COMMON COLD!!!!
A sucker is born every minute....( or something like that)

Gas cost enough to feed the beast no need to repair it too!!!!

"As Jay Leno said are the gas stations now coating the nozzles with Vaseline? ":lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-15-2005 by Bob and Susan]

Bob or Susan,
What Oil company did you say you work for???
Acetone in the recommended amount 2-3 oz to 10 GAL. can not and will not damage anything. I have been using acetone since the 70's in my race cars and delivery trucks and all personal vehicles and boats,(Not 2 stroke).
For any of you out with older Baja vehicles that has trouble passing CA smog, put in a set of plugs even if your not missing at idle( wires too if you are) and 4 oz of acetone to 10-15 gal. gas then drive 15 miles then do your test. Fill your tank afterwards. Also air your rear tires up high.
If the thing has compression it will pass with new car standards. the only proof I have(before and after) documented is my bi-annual CA smog test on my 200000 mile jeep. If someone can direct me how to post a scanned before and after results I will post it. It was almost a gross polluter (I at times go awhile without using it). Without acetone I get 15 mpg, with acetone I get 19+ mpg. I have 150-151 lbs compression. Bob and Susan what is you proof??? and don't give me a bunch of self serving oil company rhetoric. If NASCAR rules allowed it every driver would use it. In 30 years I have never had a single repair related to acetone in fact I have used MEK a lot and never had a problem.
I don't use it because it cost 40% more and with no noticeable difference in results.
I repeat "where is your proof?
Albert

[Edited on 9-15-2005 by Al G]

[Edited on 9-15-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 08:38 AM

Al you gave me a task....

but...unless you are a chemical engineer you're jus blowing gas like the guy above

i'll be back

our website is:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 08:45 AM

Bob&Susan

I have been doing a lot of research on this in other forums, and you find people skepical like you to people that have been using it for years and swear by it. Everyone that uses it claim increased gas mileage.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 09:03 AM

I started using actone about 8 years ago on our ranch. We add 2 oz per 10 gallons to both gas and disel. I drive a durmax pu and I get at least 23 mph on the highway. My brother has one he does not use acetone and when I drive it the best I have got on the highway was 19. We have never had any problem using acetone just better millage
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 09:13 AM

Does anyone know what for format to use to scan and post???:?::?:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 09:24 AM

...don't put my head on that guy!!!:lol::lol:

our website is:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 09:56 AM

In 1976 I built a new engine for my race car. (short track oval) We did a dynamo test on several different things, one was acetone and MEK. Back then more was better. Acetone at 10% gave a 8 hp increase good for us then so we didn't try smaller amounts. Today I believe if we had been smart enough to use what is recommend now the results would have been much better. I have never known why, but surface tension makes a lot of sense. I almost believe refineries build this(surface tension) into fuel to make more money.
As Bob pointed out I am not a chemical engineer, but real life proof is real life. This is not the paid for:mad: word of a chemical engineer. Bob referred to a "friend" so I will refer to my friend, who as a Steam Fitter over the last 15+ years and has been building plant after plant to produce Methanol in the mid-west and as soon as they are completed they are bought by an oil company and hires the same company to dismantle it. He makes a good living, the construction company makes good money with a guaranteed sale, the oil company maintains status
quo and it keeps us bent over. :fire:
Al

Albert G

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 09:57 AM

I'm sure that once you get in the habit of adding the acetone after you fill up, it can become part of your routine.

But I can see us driving around with the back seat loaded with full 2 oz bottles because we kept forgetting to add it.

The dashboard would be covered with post-it notes reminding to "add the dang acetone" or we could lease out the back seat to some nice Vietnamese ladies who open a nail salon which would supplement the costs of the fill-ups.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
...don't put my head on that guy!!!:lol::lol:

As mad as this subject make me, you could put my head on him so I can get some relief.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Albert G

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 10:22 AM

Al

Calma,calma, are you not just about ready to come down? Think good things and think of the good gas mileage your going to get with that acetone.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Al

Calma,calma, are you not just about ready to come down? Think good things and think of the good gas mileage your going to get with that acetone.

Thanks comitan, needed a good slap upside the head and yes 6 weeks or so I will be headed south. I am not sure that acetone will help that much with this 18000 lb beast. I will give a report (list my log book)as to the mileage. I have been getting about 6.5-7mpg( 7 mpg test to Las Vegas and back) without acetone(no acetone in this one yet). Would have ,but had not thought about it for my motorhome. Baja and back(2800+miles)should give a very accurate measurement. At this low of Mpg a 1/2 mpg would be like WOW!!
I am now looking forward to testing as it is perhaps the best platform(54000 on it) with the greatest possible benefits.
Also I want to warn people again not to use acetone in 2 stroke engines. It will dilute the oil for lubrication.
Al

Albert G

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 03:34 PM

Al

You might consider a vacuum gage if you follow it you will get better gas mileage, at that MPG any little bit helps.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 05:40 PM

My first response from emails today...the responder asked not to be quoted...

My first "friend" was my marketing professor at Cal Poly Pomona in 1978..he was a Vice President Marketing for Texaco Oil.

Here it is...
Bob,

Here are some answers to your questions about acetone in gasoline.

Acetone mixed with gasoline will degrade the fuel lines faster than gas alone.

Why it does this I'm not exactly sure, but ketones (class of organic compounds like acetone) are notorious for swelling polymers and leaching out plasticizers.
It may do some of these things to your car and you won?t want that to happen.

Acetone lowers the flash point of fuel and a lower flash point fuel will improve fuel economy.
Cheaper grade gasoline also gives you better gas mileage because it has a lower flash point.

You can also get a 'pinging' in the engine (pre-ignition sparking coming from the gas igniting too early). This isn't good for your car.

If you own a high-performance car, the compression in the cylinders REQUIRE a higher-grade fuel with a higher flash point to run correctly. So don?t put this stuff in your Porsche 911.

Remember Bob; acetone is about 5% water.
You wouldn?t want to put water in your engine or gas tank.

Acetone and gas will not react when combined, but you probably don't want to add acetone for the following reasons:

1. Pre-ignition of the fuel

2. Damage to fuel lines from normal acetone properties.

3. Water in acetone condenses inside cylinders and rusts out gas tanks.

4. Ketones and other oxygen-bearing organics like ethanol have been known to produce carcinogenic incomplete combustion products in exhaust. This means the exhaust is NOT CLEAN!!!

When the price of gas goes up there are always people looking for ways to stretch their gas-dollar.

John

our website is:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.