BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Greetings
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 01:54 PM
Greetings

lo siento mi espanol es no bueno pero aprendar ... did I say that correctly?.

Howdy ... I just recently discovered this wonderful forum and have been lurking until I just _had_ to respond to another thread ... My sweetheart and I are planning a roadtrip through Baja and I'm in search of info (lots of stuff in the archives I know ... 'will continue reading there).

We'll be dragging a small sailboat (Catalina 250WB for you sailors) behind an F350. The objective is to sail and explore 'til we need to go back to work ... probably Feb, March, and part of April.

My Spanish isn't real good but I try and am polite. It won't be my first trip to Baja but I'm no expert. We seek a moderate adventure; mostly camping and a few motels.

I'm trying to find knowledgeable sources on weather, travel condition off the main road, and of course sailing info.

'looking forward to learning from you all and sharing what knowledge I have.

Ug
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 02:02 PM

Welcome.

Lots of good people here.

and good advice.;D

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 04:21 PM
Uglyhat

With these words you will make out great in Baja.

"My Spanish isn't real good but I try and am polite."

Welcome--a word to learn if you don't already know it--deNada--it is nothing--

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 04:35 PM
trip

In the months mentioned north winds, often strong, are more the rule than the exception throughout the Gulf of California. Great for an experienced sailor but can be VERY rough.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 04:43 PM

LORETO

The area here is gorgeous and with 5 islands off shore, even with northerlies blowing in the winter, lots of places to hide around the islands.
And Escondido an excellent home base for water and supplies.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 06:19 PM

try: www.vagabundos.com they have lots of sailing info. there.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 06:24 PM

Puerto Escondido was mentioned, has a concrete launch ramp, there are many islands and anchorages.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 06:29 PM

There are many places along the Sea of Cortez that offer interesting things to see and do. I personally like Bahia de Los Angeles the best as the bay is huge and there are many offislands, the fishing is great and there are a few small hotels and restaurants when you get tired of being confined to the boat.

Enjoy your trip and keep us posted.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 06:33 PM

Mike pushing the BOLA enclave again----Just kidding, is there a good boat launching ramp there.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 06:35 PM

At least 2 ramps. They are somewhat influenced by the tides for larger craft.

Therianthropic
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 07:00 PM

Another good web site with tons of details on Baja locations is Carlos Fiesta's Baja Expo!

http://bajaexpo.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 07:17 PM

tehag isn't kidding about the North winds. Sailing around Loreto and Escondido is one thing. But you better know what you are doing for more than that. Wind will start to slow down in April.

The Vagbundos site has very low traffic, and they have changed their web site recently making it harder to post, so I bet the traffic is about nill now.

www.trailersailor.com is the most attactive site for sailing in the SOC. Look for the SOC forum.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 07:39 PM

Hola Ug...Welcome to the Sea of Cortez sailing. This site http://www.clubcruceros.org/ is based in La Paz, but has mucho info relative to sailing the Sea including weather sources. If you are not a ham, try to bring down a SSB radio (and VHF of course) as there are several SSB nets with up-to-date weather not available anywhere else. The VHF radio will be very handy when you are near ports. Don't forget to "import" your boat either at the border or at a marina. This is good for 10 years and an important piece of paper and it is free. Please post any questions you may have as at least a couple of us are sailors in the Sea. Do check out the Trailer Sailor site as JZ mentioned as they have great info on the Sea. Also Escondido's Hidden Port Yacht Club has a website too. Both are on Google's engine. Let us know your progress. If you get to La Paz look us up at Marina de La Paz after Nov. 30 in S/V La Paloma.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 08:01 PM

Info about SSB nets from elpovo on trailersailor: http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/cortezarchives/index.cgi...

"The SECOND BEST place for gathering weather information as it relates to sailing on the Sea of Cortez is from the short-wave SSB cruiser nets and VHF nets. There will be actual weather observations from various locations and cruisers around the Sea of Cortez in addition to an excellent forecast from someone who has accessed a LOT of weather information on the Internet and put together a forecast for the day and usually a couple more days into the future. None of us have a high powered SSB transceiver on board but a couple of us have a Grundig Yachtboy reciever which will pick up the short-wave nets pretty good. I'll list the frequencies and times below.

These operate daily:

Ham Nets In The Sea of Cortez

1) Picante net 6516 mhz, at 6:15 MST

2) Amigo net 8122 mhz, 7:00 MST

3) Sonrisa net 3968 mhz, 7:30 MST

4) Chubasco net 7294 mhz, 8:30/9 & 19:00 MST

5) Baja net 7238 mhz, 8:45 or 9:00 MST

6) Ma?ana net 14340 mhz, 10:00 MST

Here's what a Johnny of S/V STORK wrote to me about them last year:

?Excellent weather reports are given every day by Don ("Summer Passage") on the Amigo net (8122 mhz, 7:00 MST [San Carlos local]), Jim and Rick on the Sonrisa net (3968 mhz, 7:30 MST), and Tom on the Chubasco net (7294 mhz, 8:30 MST). Don also gives an early report on Picante net (not sure about the freq - maybe 6516?, at 6:15 MST), but propagation is not good for that one during the long nights around winter solstice. However, it might be better by the time you get there.

You need to have a SSB capable receiver, such as the Grundig "Yachtboy", or Sony equivalent. Don't be discouraged if you can't hear anything in San Carlos marina; nobody can. In San Carlos, Fred ("Sojourn") will give a recap of the ham weather on VHF ch 72 at around 8:45, and will announce it first on VHF ch 16 -- listen up for him. These are all distillations of a huge amount of Internet data, and are specific to coastal Mexico and the Sea of Cortez. These guys really know what they're doing, Latitude 38 notwithstanding. We just got back from a 2 month trip to LaPaz and back, from San Carlos, and listened to them every day, religiously, and have for many other trips.

All that said, you should have a good time -- Mulege and Concepcion are beautiful -- and if you pay attention to your crossing weather windows, you won't have any trouble. Have a great time.

I forgot to mention that Don ("Summer Passage") also gives his forecast on the Baja net (7238 mhz LSB)at 8:45 or 9:00 a.m. This is another ham net with pretty good propagation.

Johhny S/V STORK

From my own experience with the Yachtboy receiver last year I found the Amigo Net on 8122 MHZ at 7:00 MST to be the best for reception and cruiser participation and information while I was on the Sea of Cortez and while anchored in Bahia Concepcion on the Baja. "
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 09:11 PM

*WOW* Thanks heaps all for the informed responses. I'll continue perusing the other forums and archives.

I seem to have fallen ill, as Baja is all I can think of lately when not doing work-related things.

I am going to post a few questions I haven't yet found answers to.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uglyhat ...

I seem to have fallen ill, as Baja is all I can think of lately when not doing work-related things...

You have 'Baja Fever'!

There is no cure, just treatments (repeated trips to Baja)! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 09:29 PM

Yeah ... I don' feel so good .... all this green (Oregon) is making me quesy.

That bright orb in the sky! Where did it go?
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uglyhat
Yeah ... I don' feel so good .... all this green (Oregon) is making me quesy.

That bright orb in the sky! Where did it go?

I can guarantee you it did NOT come to the San Francisco Bay! Been lookin' for that baby everywhere :(

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 09:25 AM
sea conditions

http://buoyweather.com/

this is the site most of the locals use

Want what you have

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.