BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Maps ... driving the back roads
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 10:12 PM
Maps ... driving the back roads

So I'm sitting here with my Baja Almanac (best available maps? Is Guija Roja any better?) for California Sur and I'm wondering ... just how BAD are the back roads? I know it will vary greatly, and there could be a washout anywhere (I drove 60 miles on Cascade logging roads once to find a bridge out within sight of the highway I was working back to ... ergh), but in general:

Do you find the Baja Almanac to be a reliable indicator of the existence of a 'road' of some sort?

Are the back roads generally passable in a burly 2WD with weight in the back, limited slip, shovels, come along, high lift jack, and carpet rolls, etc. ?

How important is 4WD for back road (not off road) exploration? (just bought my first 2wd rig - '91 F350)

For example:
- Bahia Tortugas to Punta Abreojos, (primary rural route)?
- El Saucito and Tiombo uphill from Loreto (dirt road)?

This didn't really seem to fit in the Off-Roading or Road Conditions forum, so I posted here. Feel free to move if it's in the wrong one.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 10:55 PM

You should be good for 90% of the Backroads shown on the best map (Baja Almanac) the problem is, what 90%? :?: There are no real clues on the map.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 12:47 AM

Your quote: "How important is 4WD for back road (not off road) exploration?"

Most of the "back roads" in Baja California are unpaved. But many of the unpaved roads are suitable for 2WD.

Take care and it sounds like you have some great new experiences (and associated posts) in store for us all.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 06:02 AM

uglyhat What part of Oregon?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 06:56 AM

As the others have said 2 wheel drive is no problem for 90+%. Two things to beware of are sand and rain. If you do drive in sand depending on the depth, don't stop unless your going down hill and carry a highlift jack if you don't have a winch, maybe even if you do. Rain can change a lot of things. I think the almanac is best viewed as a reference only and not an absolute.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 07:50 AM

Uglyhat

I hope your not thinking of pulling that sailboat down back roads, Pulling that boat down here and sailing the gulf you are going to have plenty of adventure.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 08:03 AM

Most of the ranchers who live in the back country only have 2wd. But they know where to go for help also.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 09:57 AM

Above info. is all correct. I have 4WD (and locking rear diff.) because I love going on the toughest roads Baja has to offer and always find a bit of paradise at the end... Here is a road that the above was needed, starting at: http://vivabaja.com/403/page2.html

The roads in the Almanac may not be as shown correctly (some 'foot trails' are drivable by 4WD and some auto roads shown do not even exist where shown)... But, going there yourself is part of the fun to find out. :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 01:56 PM

baja Steve,

we're in beautiful, bucolic Klamath Falls 2 hrs south of you
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 02:09 PM
David K

Nice Pics! 'looks like fun backroad exploring, but *sigh* I don't think the 2WD dually would be up to it, at least not without minor cosmetic damage at least. I find myself wondering if the dually is wider than the blade on a D-6, but that's the sorta thinking that leads to long, long walks. We'll have to do without locking differentials and ultra steep approach angles this trip.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 04:20 PM

David, how does the performance of your new Tocoma compare with the old one. Acceleration etc. I assume you have the 4 liter V6.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 04:49 PM

Tom, it is noticebly more powerful and faster/smoother acceleration... I easily zipped past long lines of semis and locals along Mex. 3 heading to Tecate, at 90+ MPH. I did think my last Tacoma had more power than it needed ... But, wow, how smooth and quiet (and quick) this '05 is! Yes, the 4.0 V-6 245 HP... I understand it is also now uses a timing chain... so no rubber timing belt to fear breaking or needing to replace at 90,000 miles as I did with my last Toy.:yes::bounce:

[Edited on 9-9-2005 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 04:56 PM

Whooo!!!

Are you saying Toyotas are powered by a "rubber band"???:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 04:58 PM

Not anymore LOL! Now it is chain driven... like a Harley!:spingrin:

Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 09:59 PM

David,
Harleys don't have a chain any longer.
They have a rubberband.(Belt)

Corky:light: :lol:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 11:22 AM

That's really funny Corky!

How is your Santa Gertrudis to San Sebastian trip plans look?

There is some interest by The squarecircle to go down to Los Corrales in October, with other Nomads perhaps!

Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 08:21 PM

David,
The tentative plan now is I am going in from the mission side and my buddies a coming from Los Corrales.
I may have someone with me but if not I am still going.
Approx dates Oct 1 thru Oct 8??

Corky:light::lol:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.