Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hurricane prepardness
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 08:23 PM
Hurricane prepardness

What measures should a person take in preparation of an impending Hurricane????? Since the whole of the southern Baja is subject to them.

[Edited on 9-11-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 08:31 PM

Have some plastic or canvas bags to make sand bags.
Full tank of gas.
Pantry full of food.
Lots of Tacate beer.
Battery powered radio.
Other stuff.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 09:05 PM

Keep your back flexible so you can kiss you butt goodbye.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 09:05 PM
How about satellite internet?

Those of us who were around a few years ago remember when Bajabus continued to post from Elias Calles through Hurricane Juliette.

We were all of the edge of our seats as he was posting..... HOLY GUACAMOLE he'd say..... water was everywhere, flowing through the house, windows were busted, but he kept on posting. For a while he was the only connection to the outside world. We couldn't figure out how he could continue to post...this was before we learned of his business of installing satellite broadband.

The community was isolated by washouts for two weeks, no phone, electricity (except for his batteries) and his internet. It made for some good, human interest postings.

My guess would be that if you do not leave the area before the storm hits, you had better be prepared with enough supplies to survive a week or two with no help from others.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2005 at 09:58 PM

Jeans
That is for sure. Even though we can see San Jose from our second floor when there is a hurricane or even a big rain in the mountains, we get stranded.
So we are on constant storm watch. One night we went into town for dinner....when we got back to the road to come home, there was a river at least a mile across between us and our house. We had to get a room in town.
Since we moved down here we have probably spent at least 3 months stuck on our side of the San Jose arroyo(in 5 years)
All I know is that every time it even looks like one coming this way we battan down the hatches and fill up everything...propane, water, gas, milk cartons with water, garafones. After a few false starts, its hard to be vigilent....but you have to be.
My husband and I were talking and we decided that we would not want to be here for a Katrina. BUT what do you do....drive out....that is a minimum 2 day in advance decision for us to get close to the border. I would feel better with 3 days. I feel pretty safe in my house but with 165 mph winds, the water starts coming through the concrete, and forget about palapas, windows.
Jeez I am scaring my self.....lets all be boyscouts.

[Edited on 9-11-2005 by bajajudy]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 12:47 AM
Getoutofthereifyoucan!

I am excited to hear from Bajabus. Remember he was whisked off to the south to set up emergency communications. I hope it went well. Hats off to him.

Really. one should be prudent and monitor weather every day or so. Of course those near the ocean should be much more vigilant. When in doubt, bail out!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 06:53 AM

No easy answer because there are so many kinds of dangers brought to your door depending on where you live. Stocking up: In Julliette we stocked up on beer -- they made helo food drops to the town 10 times in 7 days. I ran out of sugar for the hummingbird feeders so I traded warm beer for sugar with my Mexican neighbor. Another time we ran out of house money -- the town was isolated for almost 2 weeks. If we had the money we still could not spend it in our local stores (shelves emptied early), gas station, for propane. We had money in the bank -- the banks ran out of money cause the armored vehicles could not get trough. They worked it all out, brought money to Cabo San Lucas for the banks in Mexican Coast Guard boats. On day 14 trucks punched through the flooded vados and our little stores once again had bread, eggs and hotdogs, what every little Mexican pueblo thrives on in times of emergency.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 07:54 AM

We stock up on "vacation days" at our jobs.

If you're not retired yet and have a place or travel often during the hurricane/surf season, eventually you're going to get stuck and need to use them. (Actually we've been stuck the longest (3 weeks) during a winter trip in an El Nino year so you never know.)

So for years now we have eagerly offered to work on the popular holidays like Christmas, thanksgiving, etc and bank as many vacation days as possible during the year. Because inevitably we'll have to make those satellite phone calls "Hello (Capt. boss, etc), I'm calling from Mexico and..."

[Edited on 9-11-2005 by oladulce]
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 01:00 PM

Know where the high ground is.

When MARTY came through Muleg?, the storm itself caused very little damage to town, but the Rain and runoff from the mountains caused the river to flood that evening and a whole lot of people on the river were damaged and some had to get out back windows and run up to the interstate.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 11:36 PM

I always try to find humor in things, but in light of Katrina thats difficult. I happened to be In La Paz a few years back when one hit.. I think we only got hit with the edge of the storm and that was enough for me. The streets were like rivers. I remember wading waist deep to my car. My advice. Pray it never happens to you. And keep plenty of cervesa on hand. Water wings also might help.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.