Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: For the 1% of Nomads into Mexican Soccer
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 09:53 AM
For the 1% of Nomads into Mexican Soccer

Guadalajara vs. America, 3PM today (AZ time) Telemundo.

(For the uninitiated, these are the two greatest traditional rivals in the Mex leagues. They hate each other. Fans wear teeshirts with cartoons of the goat peeing on the eagle and vice versa.)

?Soy Chiva, y que?:biggrin:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 09:57 AM
Really ?

Do you think the number is that High ? Sounds optimistic to me.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 11:13 AM

OK, .0000001%. Ummm, let's see- me, Ferna and Aldo.:cool:

[Edited on 9-11-2005 by Oso]

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 11:26 AM
1856 members

would mean about .165%. We need one more.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 11:33 AM

Sorry Oso, I have to watch two flys mate. Oh, and a football game....
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaden
Sorry Oso, I have to watch two flys mate. Oh, and a football game....

I understand and hope learning the technique helps with your problem of inadequacy.:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 11:43 AM

Maybe if it was called FUTBOL instead of Mexican Soccer?:lol::spingrin::bounce:

Just funning yah Oso! Let me know if Lorenzo connected with you, by the way...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 01:14 PM

David, by "Mexican" soccer, I meant within the Mexican leagues, as opposed to "International" soccer. Today's game is probably of interest only to Chivas and Americanistas. Interestingly enough, every weekend you can watch "Futbol Ingles" and "Futbol Argentino"on the Mexican channels . Watching Leeds play Manchester with the commentary in Spanish only is a hoot.

Haven't yet heard from LdB, looking forward to it.

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 01:32 PM

El clasico. Arriba las Chivas!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 03:57 PM
HALFTIME

So far... 0-0

America: "The gang that couldn't shoot straight". Many more shots at goal than Chivas but couldn't sink one of them even when it was wide open.

Oswaldo: (Chivas goalie) Luckiest bastard on the field. Doing a crappy job but saved by teammates and pure luck several times.

Hero of the game so far: El marco (the goal frame) several America's shots have bounced off the posts or crossbar.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 04:01 PM

Oso

Sounds realy dull, since I'm watching agassi& federer on TV muted, and listening to the 49rs on satelitte Radio.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 04:12 PM
0-0 ?

That's one of the problems with Soccer. All these guys running back and forth for what seems forever and the score is Zip.

It's been said before, but in the U.S. "soccer is the game of the future and it always will be ".

I've got a German friend who thinks Soccer is the only game in existence. He once cut short a visit with me down in Baja (in perfect weather) to go back and watch an important Soccer Game that we couldn't get on Dish Net. He harasses me over Baseball and I harass him over soccer.

To each their own.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 05:22 PM
Final 0-0

Great game!

I know that's incomprehensible to the non-fans. How can a game with 90 minutes of continuous action (two 45 min. halves but no time outs) that ends in a scoreless tie be exciting?

Well, it was. If you can't understand it, it's your loss.

GRACIAS: To Cuahutemoc Blanco (America Forward) for whacking Oswaldo (Chivas Goalie) in the nose with his elbow. Apparently it was what was needed to snap him out of his first half torpor. After a minute or so with an ice bag on his face, he got his groove back and made several great saves.:biggrin:

MUERAS: To the ref for that totally unjustified bad call (as verified by replay) dissallowing the Chivas goal at Min. 18 of the second. NO HABIA NADA! Shoulda been 1-0 Chivas:fire:arbitro.

NEW WRINKLE: The "tactical camera" that used great graphics (much better than a few squiggly arrow lines) to illuminate the field into different colored zones illustrating percentages of usage, etc. For those willing to learn, this should help in understanding the strategies (yes, they have strategies) in a game which, to the ignorant, appears to be just a bunch of guys in silly shorts kicking a ball around.:rolleyes:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 05:38 PM
Wow

Darn, I missed it. Is it going to be shown again on tape ?

To be honest, I have given Soccer a chance. Our son was in youth soccer for three seasons and we went to every game. Before and after that time, I went to a number of Outdoor and Indoor Pro Soccer games with my sister in San Deigo. I've given it a chance and understand it, just don't care for it, but then I rarely watch a Pro Football game anymore, either. Baseball is another story. The oldest game around is still the best. I have loved it all my life and always will. Different tastes. While I don't care for soccer, I do like Rugby or Austrailan Rules Football. Sort of what Soccer should be.

BTW, the fact that there are no time outs is one of the principal reasons for it's lack of commercial appeal.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
BTW, the fact that there are no time outs is one of the principal reasons for it's lack of commercial appeal.

You're right about that, although technology is now helping to sneak in mini-commercials super-imposed on the screen while the action is relatively slow. Around 10-12 yrs or more back (I forget), I was in NC for the first U.S. coverage of a World Cup with American and British commentators. It was god-awful. Since there were no time-outs, they just broke in with commercials anyway, while the ball was in play. Commentator: "Well, we're back and it looks like there was a goal during that break. We'll try to find out what happened." As infuriating as that was, the commentary during televised play was worse. There was no play-by-play to speak of, The f***ing idiots kept up an inane patter about past games and anecdotes on the personal lives of players like Pele and even interviewed has-beens WHILE THE FREAKING BALL WAS IN PLAY!:mad:
Thank god, four years later, I could get Univision and listen to Andres Cantor ( Mr. Goooooool!) in Spanish.

But Bill, I have to ask; since you've made it abundantly clear that this subject is of no interest to you, why do you keep responding to the thread?:?:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 07:11 PM
I enjoy the company and comraderie

I just like to get in a little good-natured give and take on the subject. You should hear my German friend and I go around and around on the subject. No offense meant.

I remember around 1990 or 1991, I think, we were on patrol with the Coast Guard Auxiliary on Lake Havasu over the July 4th holiday and all of the crews, including the Coast Guard Reservists took the middle of the day off to watch the World Cup Finals at the bar. It was a good time and I enjoyed the game.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 08:55 PM

Fair enough. And the criticisms of the state of the game and its low scores are accurate and valid. I still like it anyway.

Like many things, it's a lot different in the stadium, surrounded by the high energy levels than it is on TV.

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 09:36 PM

Although I am a very casual soccer fan and do not understand all the nuances, I enjoy watching Liga Mexicana futbol. The Mexican players are more stylish than MLS (although they do not do particularly well in international competition against the US).

It is a specious argument to say that there is not enough scoring. If seven points were awarded for a goal, as they are in American football, then a 4-2 soccer match would be 28-14. It is the same amount of scoring, just different points awarded.

And unless you are a big fan of TV commercials, soccer has to be a choice over football. It is particularly irritating to me, when I go to see my beloved Cal Bears play in person, and we have two minutes of inaction so that folks at home can watch beer commercials. This doesn't occur in soccer.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2005 at 10:11 PM

I had to really try to get to like soccer. Now, with the exception of baseball, it's my favorite spectator sport. I had the same complaints that Bill and others have about the low scoring and pace but I have come to appreciate it just as I appreciate a 1-0 baseball game. Really, when you consider the size of the field and goal area it's amazing that the scoring is so low. That's because these guys are so good.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 10:48 AM

In my youth,soccer and baketball were THE games played in Holland. Kids play it in the streets with a tennisball and their jackets for goal posts. Like American kids play baseball ( playing catch ) It is that way all over the world and the reason European and South American players are among the best. Lots of practice. If you like to see some superior games in the next couple of days, ESPN has the Champions Leauge on at 12.30 pm MT. This is regarded as the best soccer in the world.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.