BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing and Boat Licenses ?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 05:18 AM
Fishing and Boat Licenses ?

What is the best way these days, to pick up a Baja fishing license and boat permit before we go ?

Do you guys bother with licenses for wife/passengers that may or may not touch the rod ?
How about for fishing kids under 12 ?

I've never bothered to license my Zodiak; anyone else ?
Although it is the rule....

Do you all license your rigid hulls ?
I'm bringing one of mine this year.
I'm not trying to skirt any rules, just don't want to get silly and pay for something that's just "not done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 06:16 AM

To be "street legal" you need a permit for your vessel. Also, each person in the boat needs a fishing permit/license.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 08:05 AM
http://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

The only exception is for kayaks, canoes etc with NO fishing gear (even one hook) aboard. If you fish, you need the permit and a license for everyone on the boat.

If you're going through SD, get it at one of the major tackle shops. Farther south is a royal pain- back & forth to the bank etc.

[Edited on 9-12-2005 by Oso]

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 08:15 AM

We're going down through Tecate from Phoenix this time so I thought I'd try before we go. Maybe I can call one of the SD shops ?

Has anyone had any luck with Vagabundos club for this kind of stuff ?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 08:30 AM

Diver, Vags do it for me through the mail -- couple days mail. You print the applications, mail or fax em in, call em with your credit card number and in 2 more days they'll be at your house.
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 09:49 AM

If you call the Oficina de Pesca in San Diego, they will fax or mail you an application for both boat permits and licenses. Mail them a MO and self addressed envelope, they will have everything to you within 5-7 days from your mailing. Sorry, I don't have their phone #.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 12:26 PM
Vagabundos

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
We're going down through Tecate from Phoenix this time so I thought I'd try before we go. Maybe I can call one of the SD shops ?

Calling Vagabundos is the fastest. Toll Free Phone: 800-474-BAJA(2252)
If you are coming down Highway 5, 35 miles south of Sacramento is highway 12, turn and head west 26 miles to:
Vagabundos Del Mar
Boat and Travel Club
190 Main Street
Rio Vista, CA 94571
Takes about 15 minutes and you will have everything including insurance, fm3, and any, and all permits.
Also: http://www.vagabundos.com/#
Al G

[Edited on 9-12-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 05:14 PM

Dont forget your current registration for your boat! They wont issue a permit without it. Squid Co. off of Barnet in San Diego has been the cheapest, and you can pick anything else that catch your eye while your in there.
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 07:37 PM

Turners Outdoor Supply with several stores in Southern California and every fishing supply or bait store that I have been in in San Diego County sell both the Mexican boat and fishing licenses. They do it while you wait.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 10:06 AM
Vags are very fast, Diver.

Since you are coming from Phoenix, most of the retail outlets mentioned above are inconvenient.

I would get the permit for the boat, for sure, especially if it has a motor. Personally, I think I would ignore licenses for anyone under 12 years old, but realize, this is contrary to the law. All the others should have licenses.

Much depends on where, specifically, you will be fishing. If I was fishing off Cabo or Loreto, I have licenses for everyone; enforcement seems much stricter in those areas.
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 03:33 PM
FM3

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

Calling Vagabundos is the fastest. Toll Free Phone: 800-474-BAJA(2252)
If you are coming down Highway 5, 35 miles south of Sacramento is highway 12, turn and head west 26 miles to:
Vagabundos Del Mar
Boat and Travel Club
190 Main Street
Rio Vista, CA 94571
Takes about 15 minutes and you will have everything including insurance, fm3, and any, and all permits.
Also: http://www.vagabundos.com/#
Al G

FM3, i dont think so

[Edited on 9-14-2005 by mulege marv]

Want what you have
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 03:42 PM

Our kayak is rigged for fishing. We always buy the boat permit for the kayak (have to show purchase receipt since there is no registration required) and also a fishing permit for myself and my wife. If you get caught without it they will confiscate everything.

Looking forward to a trip report upon your return!
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
MIKEMCCARTY

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 05:48 PM

I had my pack with all my fishing licenses and boat permit stolen in mulege some years ago. I was able to replace it all in Santa Rosalia, near the harbor, on the ocean front. I dont know if the place is still there. It sure saved me then, we did get checked that year!.. A very large military ship.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 06:57 PM

I don't know about you guys but my boat is ~40k to replace....

BIG loss if it was taken cause I was TOO CHEAP to get the permits:lol::lol:

Just get the right stuff!!!

Bruce can get a permit and license for you if you're comming to Mulege....
http://www.mulegebaja.com

[Edited on 9-15-2005 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 08:08 PM

Last time out sailing the islands, we where boarded by the island conservation group. Whoooa! they didnt ask for our fishing and boating papers. They just wanted some money to go onshore. But I will tell ya being offshore and being boarded by anyone will make ya keep your paper work in order. Markitos
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 06:31 AM

I've been boarded offshore of Ensenada and at Puerto Refugio at La Guardia and am stopped everytime I pull my boat across the border.

It would cost well over a 100 grand to replace my boat so I be sure to have all the paperwork in order.

This includes:
Tempoarary Import Permit (good for 10 years)
Boat Fishing permit
Fishing Licences for all on board
FCC Radio Station Permit (technically required by law if you are communicating from sea to Mexican land station)
FCC Personal Radio Operators permit allowing me to operate the radio

Yep, it is surely more than I carried when I fished form my 20 foot panga back in the early 80's.

But now when I get boarded and have it all and rap in fluent Spanish and show them paperwork they didn't know existed we have a fun time. They always ask, where did you learn to speak Spanish, and I respond, from the senoritas! We alll have a good laugh and off we go are seperate ways.

It is their country, their laws, I am a visitor and act accordingly.

Oh yeah, I saw foghornleghorn , he's here at our farm!
cascabel 6
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 07:02 AM

Don Jorge,

Can you get the temporary import papers north of the border or do you have to go to the local Capitnia?

How about the Mexican radio licens? Thanks.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 07:11 AM

Cascabel.

The easiest place to get the TIP is Ensenada. They have the new all in one module. TIP, FMT and Bank to pay all in one convenient location.

A place like Romeros Mexico Service in Newport Beach could you statside: http://www.sailorschoice.com/romeros/

The radio licences are FCC, American issued as your boat is documented under that flag.

See: http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html
Kinda of expains it regarding foreign ports, etc.,.

Hope this helps.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.