Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DW6000 DirecWay Internet
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 01:14 PM
DW6000 DirecWay Internet

FYI.

If you intend to get DirecWay and hookup to SatMex5, you better contact your system supplier RIGHT NOW!!

There are very few DW6000 systems available and the new DW7000 WILL NOT ACTIVATE on SatMex5.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 03:42 PM

What does the new DW7000 do that the Dw6000 doesn't do would be my question? As I have a DW 6000.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 05:05 PM

It boasts faster upload speeds. Unless you upload large files, there is no real advantage. The radio is a 1 watt radio. The DW7700 comes with a 2 watt radio.

The major item with the DW7000 now is that it cannot be commissioned to SatMex5. I do not see this as a problem because I can still install and commission it to its proper satellite. Just a little bit more difficult.

You, I and lots of others have the DW6000. Its a fine, trouble free system and as I see it now, for me at least, there is no advantage to the DW7000.

[Edited on 9-21-2005 by losfrailes]
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2005 at 05:07 PM

Further, word from my supplier and source, says that there is no immediate plan to offer an upgrade of the DW6000 to DW7000. Again, because of the inability to commission it on SatMex5, where many of us are located.

Things will continue to come out of the woods on this, and I will try to keep this posted.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 09:25 AM

Thank You for the info on Dw6000/Dw7000. Looks like I won't need to think about any up-grades either. Which is REALLY good! My system is a bit slow but I have been able to live with it because it's ALWAys there! I have considered getting a router with Speed Booster do you think this has any advantage?
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 04:45 PM

I doubt if a router with Speed Booster would help any.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 04:00 PM
[b]A Word to the Wise !!!![/b]

As wonderful as the new DirecWay DW7000 will be, and is, there is a severe restriction with it.

It will ONLY commission on IA8 Satellite which is located way east of Baja and very low to the horizon, consequently it may not be available to us here.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 08:51 AM

The DW7000 IS available here in San Felipe. The Man here says it's better & faster than Dw6000 for sure! He is selling it and setting it up here!They have a different type of antenna instead of the dish he tells me. Set -up and monthly service way cheaper than Direcway!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 08:55 AM

How can it be cheaper than DirectWay???
The DW7000 is THEIR system and Service!!!!

HAVE YOU SEEN IT WORK THERE YET???

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 09:04 AM

From perusing the datastormusers.com site it appears that the 7000 will be commissioned on SM5 in the near future...there is a complete thread on that site about the 7000 pros/cons etc...

Upgrade IS available from the 6000 to the 7000, although its not cheap $600.

As many know, I'm using the Mobile 6000 system mounted on both of my trucks and we run wireless and its been flawless for the last 9 months of use traveling 65K miles across the US & Baaaaaajjjjjjjaaaaaaaaa....

Got Pacifico:lol:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 11:12 AM

Meme, you seem a little confused! The DW7000 and the DW6000 are BOTH Direcway products. And the purchase price, installation cost and monthly fee are EXACTLY THE SAME as for the DW6000.

There might in the future be availability of the DW7000 on any other satellite. But right now, it is ONLY AVAILABLE ON IA8. This bird sits at Longitude 89W and is located just off the coast of Ecuador and south of the equator.

This puts the elevation for us here in Baja at a pretty critical 50 degrees.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 11:14 AM

Desert Bull

Furthermore, there is no such thing as an upgrade from the DW6000 to the DW7000. However, you can buy a DW7000 instead of upgrading. The reason for no upgrade, as I understand it, is the number of DW6000's that are on satellites that will NOT be serviced by the DW7000.

[Edited on 9-21-2005 by losfrailes]
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
From perusing the datastormusers.com site it appears that the 7000 will be commissioned on SM5 in the near future...there is a complete thread on that site about the 7000 pros/cons etc...

How about a pointer to that thread about DW7000 pros/cons? I can find no reference to future commissioning on SatMex5.

Would like clarification if possible.

Thanks
mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 11:51 AM

An upgrade, in the true sense of the word is supposed to be 'user friendly', meaning the user can do it on his own by following the provided instructions.

There can be an upgrade from the 6000 to the 7000 system when the time comes that all the DW satellites are outiftted to handle the 7000 requirements.

As it stands now, only IA8, Intelsat Americas 8, is the correct satellite. There aren't many 6000s using it but it could be used as an upgrade satellite. But since it mostly accomodates 7000 systems it is a moot point.

DW wants the upgrade to be accomplished by simply switching modems, nothing else. It can't be user friendly if you pay for an upgrade and then have to pay for an installer to come out and repoint you to a different satellite. That wouldn't be a selling point for an upgrade.

Until all the satellites are ready for 7000s then the 6000 will have to do and the upgrades will be in the making.

[Edited on 9-21-2005 by mexibob]

losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 12:14 PM

KUDOS Mexibob. Someone finally has it right.

Hope this answers all the questions about upgrade to DW7000. At least for fixed installations.

It might very well be different for DataStorm Users, since that searches for the satellite every time you park.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 09:24 AM

Well, apparently I'm way too confused so I will say no more after this! There is DW7000 available here and it IS WORKING and IS CHEAPER! Looks like you guys will need to do your own investigations!!
BTW I Do know it all is Direct!!
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by losfrailes
Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull

How about a pointer to that thread about DW7000 pros/cons? I can find no reference to future commissioning on SatMex5.

Would like clarification if possible.

Thanks

Two Things:

1.) I think people are confusing the terms upgrade and trade-in.

2.) Lots of good stuff about Direcway AND a lot of other related communications stuff at the forums here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat

I get a lot of good info from this like.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.