Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Baja Pole Line Road - Dec. 27-30, 2005
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 06:20 PM

You are required to have a FCC license to operate them legaly don't you. And I don't know for sure but heard that Mexico doesn't license/allow use of them. Anybody know for sure??

:?:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 06:24 PM
Lou-----

-------I am ashamed to say that I never even thought about that-----------I have been using them down there for years and never gave it any thought. It is a VERY good point!!! and I have no idea what the legality of the FRS/GMRS radios in Mexico are.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 11:28 PM

Quote: "You are required to have a FCC license to operate them legaly don't you. And I don't know for sure but heard that Mexico doesn't license/allow use of them. Anybody know for sure??"

GMRS radios (the ones with more than 0.5 watts) are required to have an FCC license in the US (but no one bothers to get it - just like CB in the early days).

GMRS/FRS is a USA FCC frequency allocation so is not legal in Mexico. No one seems to care - I usually have three or four visable in the front seat area.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 05:32 AM

Quote:

In Santa Ynez last weekend, we heard truckers from all over the Baja peninsula, on Hwy 1, and maybe even Arizona.

This was probably because of some unusual propagation conditions. CB communications usually leverage ground waves, but at that frequency (11 meters), sky wave propagation is certainly possible, and when that occurs range is, theoretically, unlimited. After all, HAM communications on 10 meters can extend around the world.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Good luck, and many thanks for your responses. (your comments on the $30 citation in TJ were hilarious) :lol::lol:

Saturday morning, I am going shopping for more CB gear. I will keep the Sportsman website on my bookmark. Take care...

-Ken

Blue12

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 09:30 AM

Ken -

This sounds like a great trip! I'd love to come but we're probably not experienced enough for it, though I'd like to think we are! Do you have any suggestions on where we can go if we aren't overly experienced in driving the rough terrain (but definately have no fear!)? We're planning on flying into San Diego Dec. 30th at night so I assume we wouldn't head south until the 31st. We'll need to be back in San Diego by Jan. 6th or 7th. We're all for camping if it's safe!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jamie
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue12
Ken -

This sounds like a great trip! I'd love to come but we're probably not experienced enough for it, though I'd like to think we are! Do you have any suggestions on where we can go if we aren't overly experienced in driving the rough terrain (but definately have no fear!)? We're planning on flying into San Diego Dec. 30th at night so I assume we wouldn't head south until the 31st. We'll need to be back in San Diego by Jan. 6th or 7th. We're all for camping if it's safe!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jamie

Driving from Mike's Sky Rancho to the Observatory Road is a great experience. Not very difficult, but you are out in the backcountry the whole time, and it is very scenic back there. Maybe travel the Laguna Salada down to Cohabuzo Jnct. and travel East to Hwy 5. I drove that portion for a short distance, and it looked like it could be fun as well...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-6-2005 at 10:46 PM

Photos and road log of the road in and out of Mike's (Observatory Road to Hwy. 3) at: http://community-2.webtv.net/boojum2/905

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Photos and road log of the road in and out of Mike's (Observatory Road to Hwy. 3) at: http://community-2.webtv.net/boojum2/905

David prepared an extremely detailed log for travel between these points. His photographs feature everything as I remember it. Also, Rancho Coyote ('Meling Ranch') has motel rooms and they prepare breakfast and dinner and sell some cool t-shirts. If making this trip, this would be a great place to stay on your journey.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 06:34 PM

Ken, I believe that Meling Ranch and Rancho Coyote are seperate facilities just a few miles apart. Both owned by the Meling family from what they told me when I was there in March.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 06:39 PM

Lou is correct... The Meling Ranch (Rancho San Jose) is the original guest ranch in these mountains, right off the Observatory road, just east of the road north to Rancho Coyote and Mike's Sky Rancho. Rancho Coyote is run my a Meling family member...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2005 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Ken, I believe that Meling Ranch and Rancho Coyote are seperate facilities just a few miles apart.

Unfortunately, the Meling family sold Meling Ranch, but they kept the name on their shirts, stickers and items they sell. Their T-Shirts read, "Rancho El Coyote Meling" on front and back. I know this because Suzanne and I bought their shirts and depleted their sticker supply! :lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 12:28 AM

The shirts may have 'Meling' after El Coyote (because a Meling owns it), but El Coyote is NOT the Meling Ranch as this line seems to make that sound:

"Also, Rancho Coyote ('Meling Ranch') has motel rooms and they prepare breakfast and dinner and sell some cool t-shirts."

Just want you to have your Baja history accurate:light:

This is the Meling Ranch history book, and I have it...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2005 at 06:57 PM

David,

I knew this. A few years ago, after the Meling Guest Ranch closed to the public, I stopped by to visit the facilities and look around the mess hall. The woman who runs Rancho Coyote explained that she added the 'Meling' name to keep the spirit of Aida Meling alive...

Cool book btw. Can me and the Chihuahua's borrow it???? :?:

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 06:00 AM
Where the Old West Never Died

Ken, here is one listed for sale, kinda pricey...

I searched for several months to locate the one I found.

Have fun on you Pole Line Trip

John M.

http://www.booklegacy.com/bl000537.htm
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2005 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Ken, here is one listed for sale, kinda pricey...

I searched for several months to locate the one I found.

Have fun on you Pole Line Trip

John M.

http://www.booklegacy.com/bl000537.htm

Yah, I guess! Here is what that link goes to:

Sanford, Paul. Where the Old West Never Died San Antonio TX, The Naylor Company, 1968, First Edition, Hardcover, Very Good in Very Good dust jacket Redish brown cover with black print. Map on endpapers. A history of the Meling Ranch and the families. Dust in brodart mylar protective cover! Rare. Photographs; 8vo; 119 pages (Genealogy, History, Americana, Meling, Family History, Texas, Dude Ranch)

roverdude
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days, Mornings Maybe...

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 12:18 PM

The Meling Family does own and run both ranches.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 07:05 PM

I thought the Meling family sold their ranch a few years ago? This is making me confused...

roverdude
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days, Mornings Maybe...

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 10:14 PM

Look familiar?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2005 at 10:43 PM

The road looks familiar. I haven't seen that many Land Rovers on it before, but I'm sure they had a great time driving the La Tasajera Road down to the meadow up in Sierra San Pedro Martir to go look at the trout...

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.