Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Stomach problems acquired in Baja
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 01:36 PM

Sharks...My brother has been into products like that for years but not all colloidal products are good. I'll get the company name and website for all to see. The stuff really works. Doctors prescribe antibiotics like candy and telling firsthand that's the immune systems demise as I nearly died this summer from a strepp infection that thrived on antibiotics...lost 30 lbs, couldn't eat for 10 days or drink water the last 4 days...104 F temp and had to go for surgery, on steriods and Vancomyacin for another week....My doctor didn't think I was going to walk out of the hospital let alone what my poor wife went thru but my stubborness prevailed and I'm back to normal with my High School weight once again at 50!

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 02:27 PM

Shegella. A bad for sure. We got it about 15 years ago after being in Baja after amajor storm. Symptoms were controlled in Baja through a local perscription. However, upon return home days later it came back with a vengence. The CDC was very interested in where I had been too.

I don't think we have ever been sicker. Thank heavens nothing like that has happened since.

By the way, I found out through process of elimination (ha) that the bubbling red salsa that I just love on fish tacos gives me a temporary case of the cramping squirts (to be blunt) the next morning. Alas, I only eat that really good salsa in small doses now.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 02:36 PM

When I get sick I just use the pink stuff, drink it right out of the bottle.
It's worked for me for years.

Pepto-Bismol = pink stuff

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 02:38 PM

Richard...
That's the whole thing to NOT get sick as the colliodal silver takes care of the bad bacteria so you don't need the pink stuff!:tumble:

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 03:06 PM
Be wise, carry something

A very handy item I always carry that is handy for minor intestinal problems is common substance similar to kaolin(china clay) but is more beneficial. Called bentonite, this volcanic clay has been used for centuries by native people and more recently sold as "magic clay".

The uses being many, this clay dissolves easily in water and actually taste quite pleasent. purported to extract toxins, poisons and other harmful by-products associated with gastro-intestinal diseases and conditions.
It is readily available although it mostly is marketed as a beauty clay. It can also be made into a pultice in which one may treat external problems as well.
I have been told amazing stories of illnesses being resolved with the use of bentonite.
There is much info and many testimonials available online.

Most of the time minor problems can be alleviated without antibiotics and one would be wise to refrain if at all possible.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 04:30 PM

Thanks Sharks, kaolin information is worth keeping.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 04:41 PM

Another name for bentonite is drilling mud!

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 05:51 PM

It's slippery stuff alright.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 06:09 PM

I've had my share of intestinal problems over the years throughout Latin America. Some said it seemed to be more prevalent in the 70's, 80's and I agree with that.

Last year I heard what seemed like a horror story about an infection. My neighbor at the campground and his brother were celebrating in Mazatlan when they both seemed to come down with a case of the runs. One brother just kicked back for a day or two and let things take their course. The other kept partying just as hard as before. Things worsened quickly and he was flown stateside for help. He never made it.

That was the first time I had heard of anyone dying from an intestinal infection.
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 06:44 PM
Me Thinks He passed de or low or very not Dydrated

Check the increase in Homo population with the invent of ( Wine)++ ( Spirts )++ ( Beer )+. Note to self: FISH pee IN WATER!!! Tequila increases life span, decreases stomach problems, and increases outrageous vocabulary. So the down side???:yes::yes::yes::cool:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonora Wind
Check the increase in Homo population with the invent of ( Wine)++ ( Spirts )++ ( Beer )+.

Alcohol would tend to blur gender lines. :moon:

In theory, it could work. ;D

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 09:23 PM

:biggrin: Cramping squirts, you crack me up, El Jefe
Getting sick and then trying to make that long El Rosario to GN run would be "interesting"
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 09:43 PM
kaolin

is that the active ingredient in kaopectate (sp??) what are the realtive costs/benefits of kaolin vs kaopectate?
good info, btw!!thanks to all contributors

lili
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 09:56 PM

Mud is cheaper. Kaopectates active ingredient BISMUTH SUBSALICYLATE is a mineral but unlike other natural remediations for diarrhea this one is not without precautions. May interact with antibiotics so one must be careful. Also dependency and other issues as well.
A good mud will creanse/relieve your intestines and bowels and will gently coat them without side-effects, and without probiotic destuction.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 07:54 AM
"in baja, all roads lead to ba?os

its ok theres never a bano to far away when in Baja!

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 12:50 AM

To put it simply, I guess the best thing to do is drink beer and eat dirt. Sounds good to me. After drinking enough beer, I'm usually in touch with the earth.
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 01:49 PM
sick

everytime i have been sick here it wasnt from the food and i only do the bottled water. i know what it was, it came in a bottle and i was sick for days.

Want what you have
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 01:55 PM

forget what I said!

Screw the stomach, it's my hand that hurts!

No wonder Marv.....isn't that "Urine de Elko'?

[Edited earlier]

[Edited on 9-16-2005 by Sharksbaja]
gringette
Junior Nomad

Mood: happy!

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 10:35 PM

my couple of trips to baja i must admit, being very new to traveling in baja and a gringo and all i was a bit wary of the roadside stands and what not we'd hit on the way down and back. ~ nary a problem yet -

how delightfully ironic that a couple of fish tacos from Baja "Fresh" in Westwood LA last may would awaken me (almost 8 hours to the minute from ingestion,) from sleep - all but frothing from the mouth and begining a nearly 10-hour oddessy of toilet gripping hell.

wow. :o :fire:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.