Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quincienera
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 09:29 PM
Quincienera

O.K I know the spelling is suspect. I have been invited to a quincenera for a daughter of a friend. Actualy he is a trusted employee. I have not been asked to contribute anything, but I would like to do more than what is expecetd. I have'nt a clue what is proper. Help!
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 09:38 PM

Dinero. As much as you would think your daughter deserves on becoming a woman.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 08:08 AM

It's quincea?era and either a gift certificate to a store popular with teenage girls, if in the states, or an evelope/card with some money if in Mexico or a gift if you know her well enough to know what she likes, would be fine.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 09:13 AM

My favorite gift for a quincea?era is a very nice piece of jewlery, a keepsake, be it a locket, or earrings or a braclet, something sweet and femine, something classic that she can cherish for life. Hearts and Angeles are excellent themes. Also, these charm braclets with the Saints dangling on them are real popular down here. I see a lot of the young ladies wearing them.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 10:04 AM

To be invited to a quincenera and not as a padrino is a rare privlidge. Money in a card in an envelope works well. Have fun, they are a kick!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 12:30 PM

I agree. Give her money.

I have been to many. They are a wonderful tradition, very much a part of the Mexican way of life and an education for we who dont know too much about that way.

Go and enjoy yourself. It is one of the most important days in this young girl's life. The day after the quincea?era I would have had to say "young woman's life".

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 12:37 PM
Una Pregunta

Some years back a co-worker was getting married to another (Hispanic) co-worker and I was invited to the wedding and reception. At the reception, when the bride and groom danced, people went up and stuffed money into her clothes. After the dance they continued to go up and hand over money. Is this a common tradition ? Do they do it at other than weddings ? I thought it was a little bizarre.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 12:43 PM

This happened at the only two Mexican weddings I've been to--at one, pins were available so that guests could pin bills to the bride's dress.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 06:28 PM

I remember this from a wedding reception of a 4th generation Mexican-American boy and a (similarly very American) Philipina-American girl. Male guests would pin a bill to her wedding dress and then take a few turns around the dance floor with her. The money was intended for the honeymoon or start -up money (dowry?) for their new life together.

As for that other post that disappeared: God must love the literal-minded. He made so many of them! :lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 07:48 PM

Thanks everyone! A card and dinero seems to do nicley. I'm realy anticipating the party! I'll let you know.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 09:44 PM

Money for a dance with the bride. What's so unusual about that? That's an American custom also.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 07:15 AM

Many years ago I was at a wedding in West Orange, NJ and the bride actually had this satin sack that she wore on her arm that all the uncles etc in the room came up to put money, stocks, bonds whatever in.
At this same wedding, we went to the coat room and looked to see if there were any violin cases hidden in there. Need I say more?
I have never been to a wedding here in Mexico. I have that to look forward to!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.