Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Good drugs to bring to Baja
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 12:22 PM

So, maybe they were our equivalent to a Nurse Practitioner or Physicians Assistant? Anyone know if Mexico has such a thing?

Although I believe that, in the US, NP's and PA's can perscribe narcotics (may be wrong about that but I know the PA's in the Navy/Coast Guard could).

The reason I'm asking is because, considering how much time I spend in Baja, I'm bound to end up in a hospital sooner or later and "forewarned is forearmed".:lol:

[Edited on 9-17-2005 by turtleandtoad]

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 01:09 PM

"Although I believe that, in the US, NP's and PA's can perscribe narcotics (may be wrong about that but I know the PA's in the Navy/Coast Guard could)."

Yes they can.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 02:53 PM

loreto sure isnt the U.S. theres 3 hospitals and as i see it none of them are any good even the locals will head out of town to constatusion to have there babys i was told that its getting better but i sure hope i dont have to find out any time soona while back a lot of gringos whould bring things to the hospital and it all ended up in lapaz because theres more ppl in lapaz i have donated to a non profit corp that loans things to the loteto hospital so they cant claim it for lapaz or anyother out of town hospital but i havent heard latly whatas happening with it??

jerry and judi
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 03:28 PM
Medical Care in Mexico

My closet and oldest friend in Baja (now deceased) lived fulltime in Baja for almost thirty years and had numerous successful surgical procedures performed in Tijuana and Ensenada, including Cancer surgery, and was pleased with all levels of care he received.

On the other hand, the financially secure Mexicans I know in the San Felipe area have always gone to San Diego whenever serious surgery was required.

Fortunately, I have not yet had any need to utilize Mexican Medical care.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 05:48 PM

i hear the same thing about la pas and mexico city i guess the small towns are just out of luck when it comes to hospitals i know most of the doctors are trained in the usa i think its really not mutch different here the best medical care is in the bigger citys in the usa too itsjust that the small towns have some care and can keep you alive tell they get ya to a bigger city
i few years back a skipper had a heart attack they hauled him a hour to constution in an ambulence he was dead when he got there there was no oxagen in the ambulence
i know know that the gringos have donated an ambulence fire truck and trained a few ppl that its getting better and perhaps now that loreto is gonna be a\big city perhaps it will be better yet have a good one jerry PS please dont think that i m complaning i love loreto just stating the facts THE GOOD WITH THE BAD

jerry and judi
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 02:52 PM
Loerto Docs

Yeah, Jerry is right about Dr. Green and he makes house calls!! (hey Jerry, how about some periods in your posts? It would make them a heck of a lot easier to read!!)

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 07:25 PM

Our friends, who live fulltime in Todos Santos, are very complimentary about the care that they have recieved at the local clinic. They say they have had to visit several times and the "residents" (I use that term loosely as I am not sure that they are actually residents as we would call them in Canada or US) were professional, and diagnosed and prescribed successful treatment.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 09:39 PM

thanks sally but i dont have a period if i did id gladly leave it here on the page i hear that it makes some people ornry and opinated:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

jerry and judi
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 10:30 PM

I always take a few vicoden w/me w/the proper RX so I'm legal.... mix one or two of those w/a beer or two and it takes the edge right off of pretty much anything.
That and benadryl and some epiniphrene. An allergic reaction shouldn't kill you.

Union thug.
Markitos21
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 06:46 AM

Once while surfing near Puerto Escondido (mainland) I went over the falls on a rather large wave. I face planted into the sand and ripped my nose darn near off my face. Some of the local guys thru me in the back of a truck and shipped me to Dr. Peppe's. It was nothing more then 4 block walls and a cement bench. I was bit worried, I didnt want to be looking all Frankenstin and all. Ol Doc Peppe scrubbed and scrubbed then stitched me back to gether with what seamed to be horse hair stitchs. I mean these things where huge hanging off mt nose about 2". He re set my nose bone and gave me some pain killers and sent me on my way.
about a week later I took out the stitches and low and behold it was the best patch jod I ever had, clean and hardley a scar.
I dont know if Dr. Peppe was even a real Doctor but hey who cares , no infection nice clean work and all for the low price of 40.00 US !!
That little job would have bee 4000.00 up north. The funny thing is there was another surf guy that was hurt, He didnt go to the Dr.s 4 days later he was racing home because his leg was turning green. I'll take my chances in Mexico ant time. Thanks Dr Peppe

bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 10:08 AM

You'd be surprised at the level of "training" to be a "doctor" in Mexico. We have a medical assistant who works for us who says he is a doctor in Mexico. A medical assistant is not licenced to do anything. It's not even a nurse. It's frightening to think he's a doctor in Mexico...

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaloco
You'd be surprised at the level of "training" to be a "doctor" in Mexico. We have a medical assistant who works for us who says he is a doctor in Mexico. A medical assistant is not licenced to do anything. It's not even a nurse. It's frightening to think he's a doctor in Mexico...

I think you might be misunderstanding the situation. He may very well be a doctor in Mexico, but can't practice in the US until he passes his boards here in the US and is working as an assistant while preparing for those boards.

The way I understand it, the recipical agreement between the US and Mexico is limited to graduates of certain medical schools and does not cover board certification. Not sure if this is a federal thing or is run by each state. I understand this also applies to dentists.

I've run across other Mexicans that were doing the same thing in US hospitals and clinics for that very reason. Quite a few of them in Arizonia.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.