Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Family Vacation of a Lifetime
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 11:01 AM
Family Vacation of a Lifetime

OK here is the deal. We are headed down to La Paz for a week on October 19. We are two families. The wives and kids are flying down and me and my friend are driving down there. We have chartered a 41 foot sailboat with a Boston Whaler in tow and two kayaks. This is a family vacation, looking for some nice beaches/harbors to day camp and possibly night camp. However we can sleep on the boat comfortably. We will do some snorkeling and fishing and whatever else we feel like doing. Anyone have some pointers for someone who has never been to La Paz. I am looking for fishing and snorkeling locations and tips. We are looking for advice on camping, sailing, bugs, fishing, snorkeling, what to bring etc.

Thanks in advance.

Big Al
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 11:08 AM

Head north. Bring fish seasoning. You will have an absolutely wonderful time.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 11:16 AM

I'd be headed North to this location myself.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 11:24 AM
Where is that?

5 de Mayo, which beach is that?
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 11:30 AM

Called Santispak..

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 11:31 AM

The other end of the beach.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 11:50 AM

Al

Its conception bay, tooo far from La Paz in one week.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 12:12 PM

Buy Gerry Cunningham's and Jack Williams' guide books for starters.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 12:13 PM

Buy Gerry Cunningham's and Jack Williams' guide books for starters.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 12:50 PM

Al
Who are you chartering the boat from?
I would go to Aqua Verde if you have time but there is plenty to do, lotsa islands to visit right around La Paz.
I am very jealous. That is the one thing that I have not done yet and I am an old salt from years past.
We carry a boating guide, I will get it out and see what it has to say about that area.
Fair winds and following seas, mi amigo!

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 01:05 PM
Mike Odell?

Maybe Mike can kick in with some great advice. He knows those waters very well and fishes em pretty hard!

Cerralvo, the Bajo and the 88 spot for fish.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 01:30 PM

Does anyone know if the no-see-ums will be a problem at this time of year? Will they get into a tent?

Thanks
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 01:47 PM

Al dont sweat the small stuff:biggrin:
Everyone says that the Avon skin so soft works for the little buggers. I dont specifically know the seasons for them but bugs are all around in all different varieties. Cutter Deep Woods with DEET works on just about everything and although you can find it here who wants to spend their vacation running from one store to another speaking spanish asking for it.;D
so, from whom are you chartering your boat

[Edited on 9-16-2005 by bajajudy]

Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 02:09 PM

I am worried about the kids getting eaten by the bugs. I want this to be pleasant for everyone.

The charter is through Seascape Charters.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 02:45 PM

Al

The new tents mostly have no-seeum screens, but if you are out at Isla San Jose in the evening you will not be able to get out of your tent even in the morning,the safest place is on the boat, I understand its an MorganOI 41, will sleep a lot of people.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 02:52 PM

This will be our 7th year cruising out of La Paz on our sailboat. The nearest island Espiritu Santo/Isla Partida is the closest (15-27 mi). For a first anchorage stop in the large anchorage between the two called Caleta Partida. It is huge and well protected. You can take the Whaler outside and up the next cove to do some excellent diving (around a rocky reef). Other great anchorages are Caleta Cardonal (good hiking), Ensenada Grande, little islets Gallo and Gallina. Isla Los Islotes 1/2 mile off the tip of Isla is good diving, possibly with sealions. Isla San Francisco is 20 mi N of Partida with good ancharage, Evaristo village and cove across from San Francisco is safe and has nice people. 26 mi north is my favorite...Los Gatos...truly spectacular. Then another 15 miles is Agua Verde. Lots of spots to dive, hike, camp, etc all along the way.

I believe you cannot camp on Espiritu/Partida without paying a fee. Mary Schroyer at Marina de La Paz has the particulars. Call her on VHF Ch 16. Also, please give Bob (Seascape) a hello from Jack and Mary Kay on La Paloma.

Have a great trip, we're headed down the end of November for another 6 months of cruising this wonderful area.

Jack Swords
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 03:04 PM

When at Isla San Francisco you should go to the fishing village on the other side called Isla Coyote you might be able to buy lobster, then across from there o0n Isla San Jose there is a logoon worth exploring. I believe on a 7 days trip its not advisable to go farther north. Get the guide books.!!!!!!

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 03:05 PM

http://www.dancingroots.com/

We use Crocodile. It has worked very well for us. The roll-on is easy to use/apply. Check it out.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Al
I am worried about the kids getting eaten by the bugs. I want this to be pleasant for everyone.

The charter is through Seascape Charters.

Al - I am a bug magnet. My skin is light; I'm real sensitive to even no-see-um bites - mosquito bites grow to the size of golf balls (just kidding!) :no:... but I do get serious reactions. Consider me an expert on which products keep the pesky critters at bay.

Judy's right, Deep Woods off with DEET.
It's almost as good as straight deet, and can be applied directly to the skin. Seems to last longer if you spray lightly and then gently rub it to an even covering. We try to have one person do the 'distribution' because palms of hands must be thoroughly cleaned after application. Remember to tell you kids to keep their hands out of their eyes and their mouths.... if they don't, you'll hear about it (burns eyes and tastes like, well, never mind).

Sounds like a wonderful vacation you'll be having. Lookin' forward to hearing about it when you return.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 05:13 PM

Al
I have come up with a solution to all your problems....I will go with you and shoo away any unwanted insects, people, dogs, cats, you name it, I will shoo it.
:biggrin::o:D

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.