Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: rumorosa to trono blanco
jide
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 10-14-2003 at 02:34 PM
rumorosa to trono blanco

Does anyone knows the road condition from el condor or rumorosa on the way south towards laguna hanson.
Do you know how to find the place that drops down into canyon tajo from up there?
Thanks
gerald
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-14-2003 at 04:26 PM

I camped about 5 years ago at the head of Tajo Canyon in the pines. Of course, there is no road going down the canyon, just a hiking trail.

We went south from Rumoroso as if we were going to Laguna Hanson. The turnoff is off the free road next to a tienda and there was a sign saying Parque Nacional & Laguna Hanson.

There were numerous forks but you'll want to stay to the east and the road will get smaller. If you come to a part of the road where you are going up a rock face, you are on the right track.

Sorry I can't be more specific. No GPS back then. The canyon is awesome looking down into it, with massive rock walls that are popular with rock climbers.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2003 at 04:24 PM
found it!

@ mile 20.3, to the left go 1/4 mile, park and hike 1-2 miles across plateau towards the saddle, follow the cairns(stone piles) et voila!! one of the most stunning view in Baja, feels like standing on the edge of the grand canyon
Standing @ the edge of the sierra juarez plateau you can see the 12 miles long palm canyon tajo below and all the way to the sea of cortez on a clear day.
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2003 at 05:42 PM

Cool!! Do you have any pictures? We could only see down into the canyon looking south, not the whole vista you describe. Were you on that large rock face looking east? I'll try to find my pictures one of these days.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
jide
Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 11-10-2003 at 01:00 PM
picture

nope, I was standing by the saddle, north of trono blanco, before hiking down, when I took this picture
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 07:09 PM

GREAT PHOTO!!!

When we are racing along the Laguna Salada (seen in your background) to Guadalupe Canyon, we always glance west to the giant white granite dome up Tajo Canyon way. It's neat to see what the top of the ridge looks like. If you have more photos, please post or send them to me (if you would like to show them in a web page). u2u for details

Next time you want to explore the Matomi area (Mesa Avion, etc.), let me know! I still think that's an excellent area for a 'lost mission'!!! :yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 11:31 PM
Awesome picture!

I had no idea that the canyon was that long. We never got "in front" of it...just looked down from the north side.

Now I want to go back! Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-12-2003 at 02:10 AM
Jide's Web Page of Big Photos

There are five more big color photos from jide's trip: http://community-2.webtv.net/TheBaja/jide

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.