Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 08:23 AM
LA Times Story

This is an article about us.

http://tinyurl.com/8flfr

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 08:30 AM

Richard...arent we smart!!!!!!
Great article.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 08:39 AM

The article is very flawed, If all the senors where to move south of the border, there would be so many jobs lost in the service sector which is very large right now due to the fact that the retired population is so big.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 10:31 AM

It starts out funny!:

"As debates over Social Security and Medicare heat up, Americans might feel like doing what the old urban myth says the Inuit do: Ship the old folks out on the ice floes. It's cheap, simple and good for the polar bears. It is also, arguably, a bit coldhearted."

:lol::lol:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 10:33 AM
I disagree

1) There are not that many that would give up their US life style.
2) The medical field has had major labor shortages for a long time.
3) You would see an increase in people headed south, but not a stampede. Were talking years, because the road is still dangerous.
4) we are already losing service type work in many higher paying jobs now and that might slow down.

You have to understand that Nomad type people are a special breed.
I have talked to many people my age about moving south and are amazed I am doing it.
The ones that do show interest you can look into their eyes and tell it's not gonna happen.
If I were you I would get on the band wagon for the 1 out of 100 to get the assistance we work and paid for.
Albert

[Edited on 9-18-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 11:35 AM
Money Talks

I just read that L.A. Times Newspaper article.

As far as there not being that many who would give up their U.S. lifestyle, they won't need to. If the volume is high enough, the area will change as a result. It's happening all over Mexico and Baja now in JR's "Chicken-Coop Enclaves". On the mainland, I've heard it's even more pronounced. I once read about these enclaves around Guadalajara and Laguna Chapala where they form their own civic groups and publish their own newspapers.

A friend of mine who owned a place in San Carlos and had been going there for years, finally got disgusted and sold out. When I asked him why, he said it's gotten so filled with Gringos that a Mexican had to have a visa to get in. Exaggeration , of course, but it makes the point.

The relative affluence of even lower-income retired Gringos will insure that things are done their way and they'll feel right at home.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 12:05 PM

Al G wrote: "the road is still dangerous."

On the mainland it is 4-lane divided highway with no mountains to traverse. There is a hospital that is first rate in Hermosillo and has a coorperation with Baylor University in the US.

San Carlos is one big American community (3-5K or so) and a vacation spot for middle class Mexicans and US tourists.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 12:12 PM
AlG

I agree that the larger number of People going to Baja, below San Quntien will not be "Old Seniors" but those younger that have made some money, are healthy, with An Adventueous Spirt.

When the Road first opened there were Caravans by the dozens going south. Many more than today.
They were the type of people who like to be cared for, when they found out they had to take of themselves, They never went Back

Many of those same Seniors are now in the Southern parts of the US where it is easy to go across the border for Meds as well as having a Wal-mart close by..

Skeet
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 12:36 PM

I only want to say, I do not believe there will be an invasion.
The adventurous types will come, but I live in a older near retirement type community and have spoke to many of them and have not found a single person interested. I am not trying to talk anyone into it more they tell me they don't understand my interest.
Now when I speak to the 30-40-50 group there is more interest, a little more. It's going to happen only not as fast as you'll think.

I can not get my sentences together today darn, darn, darn

[Edited on 9-18-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 03:21 PM

where i live the invasion has been going on for 2 years at least, no end in sight.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 04:23 PM
La article

Was an Op Ed piece. Lots of opinion. I agree that the boomers are looking for safe warm retirement spots and have the dough. Watch Loreto Bay. Where they go, so goes Baja. If they really fly, then the tidal wave of retiress is gonna flood on in. Jury is still out.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 11:45 AM

Hang On !!! their coming. Everything is going to change.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 02:00 PM
I get it

I am talking 100,000-200,000 and you guys are worrying about 50-1000.
I understand you were here first and you feel any more is to many, right?:(
Should the the world change over night, you might get what you want, but if I were you I would quit sweating it and work towards making it the best you can for yourself and maybe keep someone from doing something stupid with the Baja.
Your best bet is to form a large committee to try to influence the government and help the Baja grow, because that is what the government want for the people of Mexico. There are a lot of things you could make a difference in. I am not there yet but I would like to be on that committee.:light::light::light:
Baja friend:D:D:D

Albert G

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 02:28 PM

AlG
I would suggest that you do a little more research bfore you really beleive that the mexican Govt. wants Baja to Grow for the People!

"Border Chaos" is good reading.
The Govt. is only interested in Money-Power-Drugs not thePeople.

Skeet
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 04:31 PM
i am thinking of moving to Tiajuana

right by where the guy with the cart that sells hotdogs wrapped in bacon,mmmmm tasty;D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.