The Flying Mobulas of the Sea of Cortez

-- K.H.
gringette
Junior Nomad

Mood: happy!

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 10:44 PM

wow, cool article - and great pix!

[Edited on 9-19-2005 by gringette]

setting sun deals bands of gold; there\'s velvet in eyes in mexico.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 11:20 PM

Finally, a group picture of the baja nomads. I notice that no one is smiling.:lol:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 05:44 AM

In the Early morning darkness, gliding alon in the panga headed North of Loreto,Alavro stands with his foot on the motor guiding the Panga, peering through the Haze.
SPlash, Flip/Flop sounds around the Panga.

All of a sudden a Large Splash, a Thud, and Alvaro has been Hit by a Flying Ray. Luckly on the right Shoulder, nearly knocking him from the Panga!!

Laughs and kidding all round, as we contuine in the morning darkness, headed for another Day of fishing on the Sea Of Cortez.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 05:58 AM

Wonderful, wonderful article. Last April in Loreto we saw hundreds of mobulas just off the south shore of Coronado Island. We had a pile of visitors so, in addition to our own boat, we were out with our friend and fishing guide, Rigoberto Davis. Rigo took us right over to the island. The rays--which he called manta raya, as the fishermen in Loreto seem to call ALL rays--had been there for a couple of weeks, he said. When we slowly cruised along shore he told us all to look down in the water. The sea floor was black with the bodies of the rays laying motionless below us. Their wings overlapped and they stretched as far as we could see. When we approached, single rays began "popping" up out of the water flapping their weeks and belly-flopping back to the surface of the sea. We were all dumbfounded. It was a MOST amazing experience. It took me a lot of searching on the internet to discover that they were mobulas. Now I know that there are many kinds of mobulas. I am always learning new things on this forum. Thanks.
ps I use a photo of two leaping mobulas with Coronado in the background as my wallpaper on my computer. I would share it, but haven't figured out the photo thing yet. Oh well. Couldn't be better than the photos in the article.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 10:20 AM

Many, many yeas ago I was fishing out of Ray Cannon's Buena vista when I observed and tried to Phot:
A large school of small Rays were cruising along on top of the Water, a group of 5-6 Orcas were following along biting the Rays, stunning and killing them! every so often the Orcas would turn back go around and start feeding on the Rays they had stunned or Killed.
The film was not threaded properly.

That was the only time i saw Orcas near Baja.:
Another time fishing out of Loreto near Coronado I was using a old Bridgeford Jig as a weight tryiny to get mackrael when a very large Ray{Estimated at 4oo lbs.} took my jig and headed North. !! I was able to turn him and bring him back to the Boat, then cut the leader.

Skeet
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 12:40 PM

Sometimes there are so many jumping and slapping the water that is sounds fake. One day out by Buzzards on the East Cape there must have been at least a thousand possibly more circling, jumping. You could hear them pretty far away from the beach. Fascinating animals.
And now I know a whole lot more than I did about them. People here have always said that they were mating when they circle and jump. As the article said...who knows?
Thanks for all the wonderful info!

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 02:32 PM

The Mexicano fisherman around Loreto told me that the Rays Jump,flip and smash into the water to dislodge small animals that are sucking, biting their Skins.

I do not know as a Fact. I do know that around the sharks and Whales there are always lots of little things hanging on to them.

Skeet

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.