Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: JR
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 08:22 AM
More teepees

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 08:50 AM
Jorge

What have you done regarding curing/drying your bamboo? I have been doing some investigation and have found some pretty good ideas if you are interested.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 09:05 AM

JR,

I am interested. I have access to 60' foot bamboo here in Oxnard.. Have had mixed success in trying to cure it.. In our last exchange on this topic you recomended keeping it moist by splashing/spraying water on it..
Salt or fresh water?? seems like it either cracks(to dry), or gets black mold(to wet).. Other Techniques?? I have very limited space, like on the side of my house thats it..But I.m very keen to try something else

Also, have you ever tried to cut bamboo into quarter round trim??

TT
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 09:35 AM
Thomas

Depending on what you are using it for, soaking it in water for 3 months is the best technique. Submerged. This gets rid of anything bugs are interested in. Then, drying in the shade.
The mildew washes right off with a sponge. Another method is heating over charcoal. This dries it out quickly but I haven't tried this method yet.

Our main bathroom is all bamboo and so is our kitchen. We used 1/4 rounds, 1/2 rounds and full pieces. They sell splitters but we usually just use a machete.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 12:39 PM

JR

Are you coating it with anything before or after you split it, or before use?

How long of a peice have you been able to split with a machete?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:17 PM
Coatings

You need to remove the waxy coating on bamboo with warm water and a scrubber sponge. (It's easy!) Then you can use stains, varnishes, paints, whatever to help protect and preserve the bamboo.
There are many ways used to preserve so you'll have to do some research as to which method you like or are able to use.
The longest we have split in half is about 30' (10 meters) using a machete but it ruined my hand made machete from friends in the mountains.:mad:
It splits pretty evenly whether dry or wet but if you split it wet, the pieces will deform.

Bambuena suerte:bounce::lol:
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 07:08 PM

Thank you.. going to give the splitting a try..
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 11:15 PM
Splitting bamboo

I remember seeing these somewhere. Do you use the like.splitters
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 09:06 AM
Those be them

Although I buy locally from the welders.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.