Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: West Nile in Baja.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 08:24 AM
West Nile in Baja.

Here are some thoughts from a chat I had on another board - I thought it might have interest here.

A few years back when it was apparent that West Nile Virus was on it's way to this hemisphere I thought that Mexico would have an epidemic - I figured that places like Los Mochis/El Fuerte with so much fresh water and migratory birds would be inundated with the disease. But just the opposite seems to be the case. While the existence of the virus has been shown in Mexico and Baja in birds, horses, and humans the disease it causes doesn't seem to be very common at all. In fact as far as I'm aware all cases of the disease can be traced to people who came from outside Mexico.

At first I figured that the reporting system in Mexico was probably substandard - and they had it but didn't know it - but that's not the case either.

One theory is that Dengue Fever which is more common in Mexico and comes from the same family as West Nile has some common antigens with it - so it can offer some immunity against West Nile. If that's the case I would think that tourists (folks from outside Mexico) would still be susceptible.

So bottom line is if you're a tourist not from Mexico you'd better be applying repellent just like back home.

It's also possible that the bomb just plain hasn't hit yet.

Anyway - just some offhand thoughts on one of those anomalies in Mexico.
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Anyway - just some offhand thoughts on one of those anomalies in Mexico.

Interesting thought about the immunity from Dengue Fever. What are the mosquitoes like in Mexico? Never been in late summer so I don't know. The insect vector is really needed to spread the virus. Here are a couple links that might be of interest. Mexico's west nile virus page. Article at CDC: West Nile Virus in Mexico: Evidence of Widespread Circulation since July 2002

Personally, I think it is there, but the lower population sizes in northern Mexico make it seem not as apparent. Also, the disease has made more of western movement. It started in New York in 1999 and an epizootic wave made its way west. This year is the California's big year. Last year many of the deaths were in Arizona. Here is a link with maps that shows the progression of the virus from 99-04. **LINK**

I think it is making its way south, we'll see if Mexico City gets hit.

When the avian flu makes its way into North America I'll really start to worry. That may happen as early as next year. :O

[Edited on 9-21-2005 by ursidae69]
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 10:45 AM

The virus is certainly in Mexico - it's been detected - as I recall about a third of the horses tested in one study in Mexico had been exposed. What's missing is the symptoms of the the diseases it causes.

Mexico City had a big warning about it a couple of years ago - but nowadays it's kind of a nonissue.

As far as the mosquitos in Mexico go - they're really completely different - they tend to be darker in color and take life a little slower - procastinators - big families.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 07:08 PM

We've been very vigilant here in Yuma County. We have a good spray program and so far we've only had one human case, and that person turned out to have contracted it elsewhere. Nevertheless, we all need to stay vigilant.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 10:04 PM

Avian flu made its North American debut last year. An outbreak occured in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia which spread to the human population resulting in at least two infections in February, 2004. ALL farmed birds were ordered destroyed over a several square mile area, and even much prized specialty birds met the same fate. It is my understanding that little or no compensation was given the farmers. This is not likely the exact strain that is now so much in the news these days, but close.

West Nile has not made it here yet- unless I missed the story. As of this spring, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia remained the only areas on the continent not to have it, but we in B.C. have recently been encouraged to present found dead crows for examination. Those dead crows can apparently be the earliest proof that West Nile is in the vicinity as they are considered to show very poor resistance to the infection.
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by daveB
Those dead crows can apparently be the earliest proof that West Nile is in the vicinity as they are considered to show very poor resistance to the infection.

This is correct and all of the family that crows are in are highly susceptible, crows, jays, magpies, and ravens.

[Edited on 9-22-2005 by ursidae69]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.