Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja fleas & ticks
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 10:59 PM
Baja fleas & ticks

Years ago we tried everything to rid our poor dogs from fleas. We never had a problem with ticks in the L.A area but man those fleas were nasty. A coworker & biologist on Catalina Is. contracted Lyme disease there(so she claims) and it has changed her life dramatically.
We tried collars and soaps and powders and they helped little.
Then along came that magic stuff (Advantage), you squirt it on the nape of the dogs neck and viola, gone almost immediately. WOW!

Is that stuff used commonly or at all in Baja? Are fleas and ticks a big problem in Baja. My dog never gets em on our regular trips down. Is that because of his regular doses of stuff?

[Edited on 9-22-2005 by Sharksbaja]
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 11:16 PM

Last year my guys had a tick problem and a few fleas but many trips to the beach helped a lot.

This year, no fleas and only one tick all summer.

Havn't done anything different.

Advantage is avalable and lots af people use it. When we lived on the hill we used it all the time.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 12:56 AM

Yeah, we've encountered them on my first trip with Alex to baja. Here is an excerpt(sp) from my diary:

It was during lunch that I first noticed them ? miniscule insects leaping about the kitchen table. They turned out to be fleas. Alex had befriended an adorable Indian puppy during our stop [Mag Bay] and was now infested with them. I tried crushing them with my fingernails but found them to be almost indestructible. Well, what?s a few flea bites? I thought to myself. The following morning I examined Alex?s body and was horrified. He looked as though he had the measles. His entire torso was ravaged with insect bites!

We packed up and headed for Ciudad Constitucion. I couldn?t find flea spray anywhere. I was finally directed to a veterinarian who sold me flea powder used agriculturally on livestock. Mentally, I planned it all out on the way to the hotel room. We stripped off our clothes into sealed plastic trash bags. I washed Alex repeatedly that night until he protested. I sealed all unpacked garments into trash bags. After purchasing a bucket and spray bottle, I dissolved the powder and filled the bottle with the solution. I sprayed everything I could find in that camper and closed it tight for the night.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 06:55 AM

The ticks are horrible this year here in BCS. Even with Frontline my dogs still get a few. They are not human ticks though. Although they may crawl over you they do not attach themselves nor bite. Thank god for small miracles. My dogs might think differently!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 08:26 AM
Malos! Pulgas, senales y acaros

these are bad times, it seems, for fleas, ticks, and mites. We have brought 3 generations of dogs to our Baja home and the problems of these critters is getting worse it appears.

In addition to the medications, treatments, collars, etc. I have found that daily swimming in the Bay helps tremendously...and the dogs can join me, too.

Seriously though, the saltwater is an easy, and fairly good solution and certainly promotes good health in your animal..but for infested problems or quality maintanence of our valued animals we have used these products with great success over the years. Maybe you use them also.

For fleas and ticks (over the counter treatments): Frontline...Advantage..Advantix..Program..these are all good products and proven successful.

For mites: The best we use for our hunters and retrievers is Revolution, which your vet has to prescribe. It is a liquid that you rub between the shoulders and it kills mites quickly and surely.

Good luck! Keep those animals healthy!

[Edited on 9-22-2005 by Pompano]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 08:51 AM

Well now you have done it. I have to show off my Mexican mutts

This is Eta. We found her on the side of the road tied by her back legs to her sister's back legs. The sister didnt make it but this feisty little dog is a joy and we are so thankful that she found us.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 08:52 AM

And then there is Mochi. She came from the Humane Society in San Lucas.

Thanks Sally

[Edited on 9-22-2005 by bajajudy]

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 09:35 AM

Good looking pooches Judy! Do they like to swim? Juanita has a goldenretreiver mix that loves the water. I've seen him jump off a pier and swim to shore!!BTW, I didn't know they had a society for humans down there!!??(just kidding).:lol:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 01:44 PM
heres a picture of my mutt...

he's not from mexico and hes not really a dog,but a skilled hunter he is...never had a problem with mice and sometimes we get the occasional slain bird on the porch which is a nice surprise with your morning coffee:lol::lol:...oh btw this is an old pic he's quite a bit larger than that now

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 04:32 PM
eetdrt88

Does he like to swim?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 06:17 PM
to be honest with you...

theres not much that he does like besides eating,hunting,and sleeping....we already neutered him so he's not much into pro-creating

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2005 at 10:52 AM

We used a back-of-the-neck liquid called Revolution we got from our vet. No fleas.

Ticks, though, in Loreto...wow. Lots of ticks. A fresh Preventic brand collar and the next morning there would be a pile of them lying on the floor where the dog slept. But the collars didn't seem to work for long.

He's a long haired dog (a Sheltie) so the bugs ahve a good place to hide.

Don

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.