Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 08:17 PM

Peanut Butter sandwiches.
Raisan Bran
Ham and cheese sandwiches

Tacate lite beer

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 08:28 PM

Pompano,

That's a good question...I'm trying to shed a few myself after still having the leftover "baby-pooch" for the past few years. All I can say is that before I got pregnant and was still in Mulege, I was in the best shape. I don't remember limiting my intake of the fine cuisine, the rancho cheese, flour tortillas, beans, guac, tacos, oh my I'm getting cravings just writing this now!! But I was on the go everyday. I was going up and down the stairs to the museo to work, riding my bike up and down the river, walking up and down the river, gardening, swimming at the playa and last but not least, dancing several times a week at the Mesquite when the band was still there or at Juncos outside behind Las Casitas. So, that got me in fighting form, so to speak....

It worked for me and you live out at Coyote so there's lots of good walking out there and swimming to be down. Good luck and enjoy take a nice long dip in the Bahia for me!!:bounce:
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 09:56 PM

If you want to lose weight the easy way is to eat at at the places others have told you to stay away from! :?: You will get cleaned out and the more you eat the less you want. :no: Just drink alot of water and stay close to home.
In a month you will be so light weight that you will need to carry rocks in your pocket to keep you grounded when the wind blows! :o No other diet will give you that fast of results :P Good luck!

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 10:10 PM

Pompano,

Dinner...Stick with pico de gallo, broiled, poached, bbq fish, and chicken for dinner. Give up the butter. Minimal grease and salt. Beef cooked over the grill without the salt and fat maybe once a week.

Oatmeal for breakfast. Fresh fruit, eggs. Eat your carbos in the a.m. to fuel your day.

The tortillas and bread, beans, beer, all bad.

Did I say beer was bad?...

We would shop for the day, buying veggies and chicken at the fruiteria, catching our own fish. Ate lots of Ceviche and pico de gallo. Radishes and cucumber with lime and fake salt make for a good treat with a "fake" beer ie TKT lite.

Dieting in Baja is easy IF you have the willpower to do it.
Good luck. It's the carbs that will get you.

You might want to go back to that Mermaid catching boat machine of yours and stock up on your tuna supply....

Saludos!
P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 06:18 AM

My Baja diet is simple......seafood
I see food and I eat it.

We all know its the beer. Almost everything else is good for you.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 06:43 AM

Much more sex !

Great aerobics, great for the ab's and..... keeps you too busy or tired to eat as much !

My last diet almost killed one of our pups. I ate only 3/4 of my plate then gave the rest to the dog......I lost 4 lbs, the pup gained 18 !!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 07:39 AM

Gee Diver ...for a minute I thought my husband had logged on:lol::lol:

I'm with Lindsay on this one. When I'm in Baja it seems I don't pay too much attention to staying away from fattening foods.(that includes beer!) My diet is is high in all those fabulous fruits and veggies, ( my pastries are eaten in the morning following my walk) tons of fish and I think the most imp. part is that we are usually in bed by 9 oe 10 and up by six so I'm not doing that late night snacking thing that gets me in trouble here in Canada!!!
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 08:41 AM

COUNT CALORIES

When I want to shed some lbs, which is about every 2 years, I go totally of the booze, drink water and lemonade only, and make my food intake around 500 to 600 calories a day. Stick with that for a couple of month and you will drop weight, quaranteed. Little excercise with that will, of course, go nicely also.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 09:23 AM
i agree with all of the above...

i also think if you really want to lose weight that cutting out coffee and caffeine would be a good idea,even though the caffeine works as an appetite suppresant when you come down from the caffeine "high" your hunger returns with a vengeance,at least mine does so i think the coffee actually makes me hungrier later in the day

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 09:43 AM

How about a week or two canoeing and portaging a long loop through the lakes (maybe Boundary Waters) ?
Besides the excercise and drinking booze vs beer, there is no baking, just wild onions, fish with crisco lite, oatmeal, granola bars....knick-knick...
(don't forget to move camp each day !)

I found my abs there a few times after long trips. Actually, I found them the first day which wasn't much fun but I saw them a week later which made my wife very, very happy !
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 10:30 AM

Truely the best way is to eat well and healthy and that doesn't mean going hungry. They say if you eat small meals more often it's better as you give your stomach a chance to shrink and your sugar does not get to low. I found that taking Super Colon Cleanse is one of the best things you can do for your body. It adds Acidophilus to your system and helps to get rid of build up that happens over the years and helps prevent Colon Cancer. This product does not give you the runs and you can get this product at any heath food store. Good luck!

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 01:08 PM
LESS CAFFEINE? NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Drink enough coffee and you won't be able to pry your teeth apart to get food in!

Seriously though, it's sugar and simple carbs that cause the most pronounced spikes in blood sugar, and coming down from those spikes is what makes you hungry, and it turns into a vicious cycle. The key to weight loss, someone once told me, is four words -- eat less and exercise. More specifically, the first half is diet. Reduce the intake of fats, and drastically reduce saturated fats (generally fats that are solid at room temperature, like the fat in red meats, egg yolks, butter, most cheeses and non-skim dairy products). Drastically reduce simple carbohydrates, and switch to a limited intake of complex carbs such as oatmeal and other stone ground wheat breads and cereals. Eat a lot of vegetables and some fruit (there's sugar there too, especially in high glycemic fruit like bananas and watermelon). Limit calorie intake to what you really need (e.g., limit protein portions to 4 to 6 ounces and eat lots of veggies, and try to stop eating when you feel only two thirds full), instead of loading the plate up and licking it clean. Remember carne asada, carnitas, cheese enchiladas, chips, tortillas, bollilos, pan dulce and flan, or bacon and sausage, burgers, rib eye steak and baked potatoes? These are now things you should have only once in a while, as a treat and in limited portions. (Forget completely about french fries -- this is the double fat/carb whammy.) But that's ok -- I'll take lobster over steak every time, and anyway these days I'm eating buffalo steak, which has about as much saturated fat and cholesterol as chicken, and is available by mail order.

The second half is exercise. A combination of weight/resistance and aerobic exercise three to five days a week, because it's not only important to burn fat, but to build muscle tissue to replace it. Being fairly disciplined about this will enable you to get close to a net caloric deficit, which forces the body to burn reserves for energy. (Caffeine actually helps because it gives you a boost that helps you get over that "I'd rather lay in bed than get up and do situps" feeling.)

I'm not an expert on this, but I got religion about a year ago after my doctor said my cholesterol level was "alarming" for someone my age (four months in Memphis eating pulled pork and fried candy bars three times a day leading up to that point didn't help), and it wasn't a question of "if" I'd have a heart attack, but "when." Not to mention the diabetes risk. I stuck with it, lost a bunch of weight, brought my cholesterol way down and feel a lot better for all of it.

Oh, I also get a lot more action now. ;D
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Much more sex !

Great aerobics, great for the ab's and..... keeps you too busy or tired to eat as much !

My last diet almost killed one of our pups.

Diver: I was dialing SPCA before I figured out you had slightly changed the subject.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 07:11 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 07:37 AM
Losing Weight

HOW TO NOT BE FAT
This book is for everyone but real old skinny people. All the rest of us are either chubby, fat, obese or just on the edge of gaining more weight.

I will not go into all the reasons people are fat. You know why you?re fat. You?ve used all the excuses from genetics to stress to terrorism. Why belabor the thing?

Let?s simply concentrate on How to Not be Fat. I am not going to talk about calories. Have you ever seen a calorie? Forget calories.

By now you are wondering if I?m a salesman, a salesman selling pills, elixirs. No. Then he must be a fitness guru. No, I?m not. What?s left? Diet. He?s going to give us a new Miracle Diet. No again. How about some Far Eastern Mind Over Matter thing? No.

Lets look at fat on a clinical level. Medical science tells us that anyone whose weight is 30% or more above their healthy weight (the walking around weight of a person of determinate age and stature) is Morbidly Obese. Now do the math -- you should weigh 150 (a healthy, natural weight for your frame) -- 150 plus 45 (30% more) equals 195 lbs. So if you?re at 200 pounds it means whatever medical condition you will someday die of it will be exacerbated by your overweight condition. Morbid means Psychologically Unhealthy. You have a disease. It is a disease of the mind. It makes you fat. Don?t you wish you had known that before? That?s an excuse and a half! What?s more, it?s true.

Now you?re probably back to the guess about the Mind Over Matter, pushing yourself away from the table thinking. Wrong again.

The whole thing is simple. It?s so simple you?ll say ?I didn?t think of that. Why didn?t I think of that??

I won?t keep you guessing any longer. The answer is connected to your IQ. The secret to Not Dying Young From Being Morbidly Obese is connected to your IQ. This is where I will get letters. The letters will come from all the skinny people. I?m ready for the letters. This thing is too important to scotch just because I might hurt some egos.

ALL THE FAT PEOPLE ARE SMART.

That?s right. They are smart -- not lazy, indolent. They have figured out ways to USE LESS ENERGY, MAKE FEWER MOVES, TAKE FEWER STEPS. They?re out there by the millions, about to die young because they are smart (at least smarter than the people who use more energy, make more moves, take more steps).

IT?S SELF-EXAMINATION TIME PEOPLE

Let?s just see how smart you are. Count the number of affirmative answers to the below questions about your everyday lifestyle.

Do you have an automatic garage door opener?
Have you trained all your neighbors to stop by on their way to the store; see if you need anything?
Does your lawn or garden have an automatic sprinkling, watering system?
Have you bought more than four $19.95 special TV offer kitchen/workshop/household devices/machines/cleaners in the last 3 years?
Does your home have more than one All In One electronic Remote Control device?
Do you have a TV in the kitchen?
Does somebody else wash your car?
Does somebody else walk your dog?
Do you have a leaf blower?
Have you removed all the trees that were not evergreens?
Have you been shopping in a mall in the last three years?
Do you only fly into or out of airports that have trams?
Is there an ironing board in your home?
Do you own a ladder?
Do you consider reading a sport?
Do you consider online gambling a sport?

If you said ?yes? to 9 or more questions it should be obvious that you have designed your lifestyle for facility, comfort.

THERE IS ANOTHER WAY. I?m living proof. I should weigh about 160 pounds. I stay a chubby, jolly 190, well below the This is the 30 or more % that?s gonna kill ya weight.

HERE?S HOW I DO IT. I do not have an automatic garage door opener. I do not have an automatic anything. I walk around the yard, sprinkling. I have to wash the car, the windows on the house, the dog, myself. If I have a fixit project I make sure I do it wrong the first time, have to do it over. I have one TV -- if I want to watch it on the patio I have to carry it out there. I don?t own an electric screwdriver, saw or drill. In the fall I rake leaves almost every day. Both my neighbors have leaf blowers so they add to my work. I bag up their leaves along with mine, haul the bags way out to the garbage can area. There?s no handcart so I have to lug everything heavy by myself out to the car, the curb.

I have two dogs. Since they fight a lot I have to walk them separately. My neighbors have trained me to stop by on my way to the store, see if they need anything. Since I don?t have a computer I can?t order anything online; I go malling two or three times a month.

I do all this extra stuff out of volition. If there?s an easy, clever way to save steps, exert energy, I avoid it. I do it the hard way, the stupid, skinny way. You may find your own method works best for you.

By now some of you may hear your mother?s voice, many years ago admonish ?You?re too smart for your own good.? She might have said ?You?re too smart for your own health.?

There are other special benefits which may come from my program.

1. A garage sale to rid yourself of all the labor-saving tools and devices you will no longer need or want might bring in $100?s.

2. Now that you don?t have to be smart anymore you may want to change your reading habits; try Clive Cusler, Harlequin books.

3. Watch wrestling, bowling, ?The Survivor? on TV -- you can still find them at the time you used to play Jeopardy.

4. You will drive your neighbors crazy with your goofy grin while you pick up and haul off their leaves. You won?t be able to erase the grin -- you know you?re going to out-live them. The smart bastards.

One final thing. When you are sweating and grunting, whining about the extra work, the stupid extra steps I told you to take, remember I saved your life. You owe me. I?ve added years to your life. Who else could have done it?

So. Now you?re asking ?How do I get started??

Very easy. Get off the couch, walk, briskly to your bank to open your Safety Deposit Box. You forgot your key; walk back to the house, get the key, walk back to the bank. (A good start)
Walk back to the house, call your *attorney for an appointment. When he has a free hour, walk to his office (unless he lives in another city), ask him to make a codicil to your will. Simply add my name, Osprey to the list of beneficiaries, share and share alike. My relationship: Friend and Benefactor.

One more thing. It?s the smart thing to do. Do it now, when you are still fat/smart. Don?t take a chance, don?t wait until you have fallen into my thin, living-for-ever mode.

*Attorneys make their money from challenging things. For any legal questions about the codicil please have them contact my attorneys:

Dewey, Cheatem and Howe
111 Madison Ave.
Talltree, Mn. 76402
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 09:37 AM

Strange thing about the mexican diet,

being a diabetic (type II), I watch my diet and blood sugar very carefully, and I have found that, when I'm in Baja and eating like a local, my blood sugar levels off at around 100 and is very stable. The minute I switch back to a US diet, it starts yo-yoing between 80 - 140 again.

Not really sure why. :?:

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 10:13 AM

Yep, sex is best - if I was just fast enough to catch my wife when she runs by .............. hazards of marrying a younger wife !! :lol: :lol:

And no; no table scraps for the pooches. One was just spayed due to bad elbows and starting to bulk up on her own. My big guy has to get mean to get near the bowl these days !
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 10:34 AM
Don't HAVE to give up beer

Just switch to one of the Mexican lite beers and drink in moderation. Beer has no fat and if you are doing plenty of brisk walking you will burn off the 80 calories fast. DON'T DEPRIVE YOURSELF OF A FEW PLEASURES OR YOU WILL BE AN UNHAPPY DIETER, MORE PRONE TO CHEATING!

Personally, I cant stand diet drinks, so that's not an option. My substitute is a squeeze of lemon or lime in a glass of sparkling water on the rocks.

Celery or carrots dipped in hummus is a healthy substitute for the chips and dip urge.

Do some research on food combining. The Suzanne Sommers diet is the most popular recent version of this. Basically it involves not eating proteins or fats with carbs. In the course of a day, you can eat many of the things you like, just not at the same meal. It is more complex than this, portions are limited and there are foods that are a no-no, but it's not the strictness of many diets. You end up maximizing the amount of veges and fruits in your diet, just to give you some bulk to keep the hunger away. IT IS NOT A FAST LOSS DIET; IT IS GRADUAL REDUCTION. You might lose only 5 lbs in a month, even less as you continue.

It also involves eating complex carbs, instead of simple ones. Stock up on whole wheat dry pastas if you're like me and aren't about to give up pasta. Trader Joes or Wild Oats stores are good sources for whole grain products.

The one other thing we learned is to use whole romaine lettuce leaves as a substitute for bread on sandwiches. Or you can substitute the leaves for tortillas in tacos. This allows you to eat lean meat sandwiches or grilled fish, chicken or beef tacos without violating the diet. NO CARBS AND PROTEIN TOGETHER.

We also eat alot of vege sandwiches on whole grain breads. Tomato, red onion, cucumber sandwiches are good and filling.

Also get Felipa to begin making frijoles de la olla. You can still mash some of the beans up for that refried bean effect. There is no way I could ever give up beans.

For salad dressing, use seasoned rice wine vinegar.

Recommend that you get the S. S. book to see what foods are classified at proteins, fats and carbs. Some are not so clear-cut.

WHATEVER YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM THAT PAPAs RELLENO AT DONY'S!!! I'm sorry, but that thing is gross and that's coming from a meat-and-potatoes, northern-European-stock-kind-of-guy. That thing must approach 1000 calories.

The wife has been on me to get on this again....maybe it's time for me, too. :rolleyes:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 12:29 PM
ceviche

Pompano,

My wife had weight problems in Peru when she was younger and in that country there are no specially prepared Weight Watcher meals or formulas to get the weight down. Eventually what worked for her was a steady diet of ceviche. She like ceviche and ate it almost exclusively. That and early morning jogs. And the pounds just came off as never before.

Peruvians are very proud of ceviche as I am told that it was invented (is that the right word?) by the incas in precolumbian times. They eat ceviche without any oil in it. I personally like olive oil in mine.

So you might consider this ... as I know it works.

skipjack

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.