Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any Actual Nomads?
vantexan

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 08:41 PM
Any Actual Nomads?

Hi Everyone,
I'm putting together the gear now to fulltime camp when I take early retirement in 8 years. I'm probably going to split my time between the Big Bend area of West Texas, Baja California, and the occasional Rockies sidetrip. I'll have a small, home-brewed camper and a VW van sidetent for shelter. Anyone doing something similar? Any negatives I should be aware of before trying this in Baja CA? Any advice appreciated!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 08:52 PM
Sounds like your dream is beginning to take shape-----

That is great that you are going to become a TRUE Nomad-----it is something that many of us think about, but seldom really accomplish. I do not forsee any problems as you seem to be doing a lot of planning, and that is good. Keep us informed as you progress.

I am hoping that your "rig" is 4-wheel drive as it opens up much of Baja that is "iffy" otherwise. On the otherhand, I traveled in Baja for years with a two wheel drive----got stuck a lot, but never died. It is just that 4-wheel drive takes a lot of the "tension" our of your travels, and it is handy in the Big Bend area, too. Keep in touch.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 08:52 PM

I lived in camps and did the nomadic move from North West U.S. to North West Mexico for 7 years, aboout 25 years ago. It was a great way to go, a good life which I highly recommend. My advise, folow the geese, they know when to go. I wish you the best in your future endevor to do so.
vantexan

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 09:16 PM

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I have a little Toyota cargo van that makes a good camper. I'd hate to give it up but 8 years down the road I might splurge for a 4X4. Glad to know others have and are doing this! Feels like a quest sometimes.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 10:08 PM

Wear sunscreen.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-25-2005 at 11:10 PM

You have a good time................

A lot of us had one and then settled in.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 06:31 AM

Vantexan: check out this blog from a full-timer. http://vagabonders-supreme.net/
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 08:51 AM

Go for it!!
I started my camping in a Cessna 170b, taking the Seats out and sleeping in the cabin. All the area of Baja i could find a place to Land. did it for 12 years.

I would strongly suggest a 4 Wheel as you will find that there are less people than where you can go with a 2 wheeler.

Skeet/Loreto
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 09:14 AM

Well, I guess I qualify as a true Nomad in the sense that I'm a full-time RVer and have been since 2003. But I travel in a little more comfort than what you are planning :D

I did start out in a pop-up tent camper behind a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer though. I loved it until I went through a pretty vicious storm on the WA coast one winter (at that time I couldn't go south for the winters). That Jeep would climb a wall, even with the pop-up behind it and the combination was perfect for really roughing it in Baja or anywhere else.

Now I just follow the temperature gradients, I try to keep the temperature between 65 and 85. But I'm looking for a 4-wheel to replace my exiting toad. It's not just the 4 wheel drive that you need, it's the clearance also:o

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 10:39 AM

I had an '88 Toyota van w/4x4. With the mid-mounted engine, it did great in 4wd on ice/snow or sand.

If it's an older model, bring extra oil, fuel, air filters, belts, plugs etc., as they may be hard to find down south.

I wish I could Nomad again....some of the best times of my life !!
Maybe if I'm still alive when the kids leave home ?!?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 11:14 AM

TandT
We started out camping in an 86 Wagoneer(Lucita Burrita) and you are 100% right she would climb a wall. Feels like you are driving a minitank. Love that car. Still have it but it only goes to the beach with the dogs now.

Vantexan...I truly envy you. I wish we could take off for a few months and adventure travel some more. There are so many places that can be yours. all alone. ENJOY

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 11:40 AM

A well stocked bank account with an ATM card can sure come in handy. ;)
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 11:50 AM
bring ice chest with cold drinks

preferrably tecate or pacifico,that way when youre in the middle of nowhere and someone else shows up you can offer them something cold to drink....this can sometimes lead to the beginning of a wonderful friendship:biggrin::biggrin:

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 05:37 PM

The wheels you've got will do just fine, VanTexan--you don't need 4WD to be adventurous in Baja. I made it from San Felipe to Calamajue in 1971, and Tijuana to La Paz in '72, on the bad roads of that time in a Mustang Fastback equipped with three teen-age pushers who were activated when needed. That was a helluva lotta fun.

But these days [no longer the driver] I travel in a Nisssan Pathfinder, and the power surge that comes after shifting into 4WD is most pleasant. On the rough spots I still say, "Well, we could have made that in the Mustang," because that's what my son expects me to say, but 4WD gets you to places with much less of a struggle.

Whatever you decide on, I wish you happy travels.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
vantexan

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 09:32 PM

Wow, I came to the right forum! As I grew up in Florida I never knew the Southwest until 12 years ago and have only heard a few stories over the years about Baja until recently. After looking at the Moon Handbook it really started formulating that I could have an interesting retirement doing this. And you've confirmed it! I'm not going to pepper y'all with a bunch of questions. I'm sure the archives will answer everything. I'm just looking forward to getting down there and glad to know there are still places like it even if it's more crowded than years ago. Thanks again!
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 10:37 PM

I think everyone has covered it pretty well. I agree on the 4 wheel drive. Without it you'll be prone to turn around on some of the roads that are border line, so it will limit you. Carry 2 spares, you'll be surprised how many times you'll use both. Carry extra gas, so you can get that hard to reach spot and not worry. You just can't have enough cervesa.

Don't be afraid to stop at the mexican fish camps or ask directions at a house in the middle of nowhere. The people are friendly, and beleive me, their used to being asked.
On that last note, of baja being crowded. I guess if you grew up in Mulege, you might think that its getting crowded. If you grew up on the east coast, you'll probably think, where's all the people. Its all relative.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.