Author: Subject: Guerrero Negro or ????
bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 06:34 AM
Guerrero Negro or ????

Hi Nomads
I just found an old sweatshirt from my M/C days that states:
"I must hurry up and catch up to the others, for I am their LEADER"
What's even worse is that I'm leading a bunch of other Baja newbies on a 6-7 day trip and need some help with info on where to stay in or around Guerrero Negro. Researching the Nomad and other sites leads me to believe that this may not be a great destination for tourists/travelers (but then again I may be totally wrong). We will be coming up from San Ignacio, staying overnight in the vicinity of GN and then haulin back to our starting point in San Felipe. Any suggestions on favorite places to stay on the pacific side north of San Ignacio in the GN vicinity but south of the cutoff heading back over to Gonzaga/SF? Any places to avoid? Many thanks!
BTW we are going to be in SF, Gonzaga, BOLA, SF, San Ignacio from Oct 1-5. I would like to meet any nomads hanging out and find the best spot for a hefty margarita!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 06:47 AM

Are you camping or hoteling ?
I would stay in GN anyway then head north.
No Place in Between !

So how do you plan to be in 5 or 6 places at once ?
Make sure to have your camera shutter speeds set to fast speed so the photos from the speeding car won't be blurry !! :lol: :lol:

If I were you, I would travel less and relax/enjoy more !!:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 06:49 AM

See http://www.malarrimo.com for one option. That is Enrique Achoy's motel, restaurant, tour company, in Guerrero Negro... The restaurant once got extremely high ratings as one of Baja's best (by Greg Niemann)...

Personally, I would stay in San Ignacio (as it is only 90 miles from Guerrero Negro) at Ricardo's Internacional Rice and Beans (just off Mex. 1 at entrance road, on side paved road) OR Ignacio Springs Bed & Breakfast (on the river) http://www.ignaciosprings.com

San Ignacio is one of Baja's best special places, an oasis in the middle of the desert with a great Spanish mission, a river that comes out of the ground nearby, then goes back underground again...

Guerrero Negro is a salt mine company town... not real exciting.

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 06:56 AM

Ok in Guerrero Negro there is a bird refuge which is fun for a walk and has some interesting information on the birds that you will see. The last time I was there we saw white pelicans.
There is the old lighthouse/pier for sunset over the dunes. Quite a beautiful scene.
There is a tour of the salt factory which sounds kinda blah, but I enjoyed learning about the process.
We almost always stay at Malarrimo because you can walk to dinner. The restaurant has farmed oysters, lion's paw scallops and a pretty good steak. There are a number of stands along the main drag that are good. I have pix of a couple will post them next.
I enjoy GN for the above reasons. Also there is a pretty good grocery store...Tinge no that's not right but close. They have a good selection of produce, great chicken and Nery jack cheese, which is the best jack I have ever had.
No time for the photos right now. Have to take the dogs to the beach. Will post later.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:12 AM

This is a stand on the right side of the road headed west. Excellent fresh seafood. The guy who owns it has had a neck brace on forever, dont know why. But he always makes some comment about his wife!?!?!?

bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:13 AM
GN

Diver,
We are actually on motorcycles, going from one place to the next, only about 100-120 miles/day. Oct 1 in SF, Oct 2 in Gonzaga, etc. Day 5 in San Ignacio. We may pass on staying in GN, we will be staying in motels.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:15 AM

And this is the bird refuge

All that said I would stay in San Ignacio at Ignacio Springs B&B. Right on the river, killer breakfasts and Terry will cook dinner for you upon request.

http://www.ignaciosprings.com/main.html

bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:18 AM
Thanks for the pics and tips!

David K and BajaJudy
Thanks for the pictures and tips. The seafood sounds great but perhaps we would be better off staying south in San Ignacio for another day sightseeing or heading back to BOLA or Gonzaga for some R&R. Those places are really more suited to our group and would probably be more enjoyable. I do want to try my hand at catching some fish in BOLA so maybe we will change our plans. Looking forward to meeting you all. bob
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
And this is the bird refuge

All that said I would stay in San Ignacio at Ignacio Springs B&B. Right on the river, killer breakfasts and Terry will cook dinner for you upon request.

http://www.ignaciosprings.com/main.html

Cool, a bird refuge! I know I'll have to stop there next time I'm that way! Thanks for the info!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:30 AM

You will find that all you're doing is DRIVING PAST Baja. There is plenty to enjoy - slow down and open your eyes to what is around you.
bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:49 AM
jr nomad

Hey look,
I'm a junior nomad! No longer a newbie:O
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 09:23 AM

I dont blame you. I do believe that I am the only person in the world who enjoys stopping in Guerrero Negro.

San Ignacio is a beautiful mission town. I know this wont sound great but you can go up through the dump and get up on the mesa above town and the view is spectacular.
You can also arrange for a trip to the cave paintings in the office next to the museo. Your bikes would be perfectly safe at the B&B.

Have fun...we will be expecting a trip report complete with pictures!

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 09:41 AM
yes jr nomad commands quite a bit more respect...

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabob
Hey look,
I'm a junior nomad! No longer a newbie:O
than a newbie:lol::lol::lol:

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Hi Nomads
I just found an old sweatshirt from my M/C days that states:
"I must hurry up and catch up to the others, for I am their LEADER"
What's even worse is that I'm leading a bunch of other Baja newbies on a 6-7 day trip and need some help with info on where to stay in or around Guerrero Negro. Researching the Nomad and other sites leads me to believe that this may not be a great destination for tourists/travelers (but then again I may be totally wrong). We will be coming up from San Ignacio, staying overnight in the vicinity of GN and then haulin back to our starting point in San Felipe. Any suggestions on favorite places to stay on the pacific side north of San Ignacio in the GN vicinity but south of the cutoff heading back over to Gonzaga/SF? Any places to avoid? Many thanks!
BTW we are going to be in SF, Gonzaga, BOLA, SF, San Ignacio from Oct 1-5. I would like to meet any nomads hanging out and find the best spot for a hefty margarita!

We have gone to GN a couple of times, from San Felipe, to watch the whales. There are a couple of good places to stay and a little cheaper than SI. I don't remember the names but they are easy to find. They are both on the right side of the road in to town, off Hwy 1, and BEFORE you get to town.

The first one is either the first or second motel on that road. You will recognize it by the fact you have to drive between the Office and the Restaurant to enter the compound. It has good security and good food. When we stayed 2 years ago, he said he has the best lobster or it was free. The rooms were around 20-25 and clean. It is a motel with a few RV spots inside the compound.

The other place is not too far past this one and it is a Motel with an RV Park in the rear. It was pretty reasonable but not as reasonable as the first place.

I am sure either will do after a days ride on a bike. They worked for us when we came in on our dune buggies and were looking for a hot shower and a clean room.

Good luck.

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by wornout]

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 10:30 AM

I agree with wornout the first restaurant on the right (Cazaderos) good food inexpensive, 200ft more on the right is the Motel, There is someone in the parking area all night, Iv'e seen Pickups loaded with stuff parked there. 200 pesos.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
David K and BajaJudy
Thanks for the pictures and tips. The seafood sounds great but perhaps we would be better off staying south in San Ignacio for another day sightseeing or heading back to BOLA or Gonzaga for some R&R. Those places are really more suited to our group and would probably be more enjoyable. I do want to try my hand at catching some fish in BOLA so maybe we will change our plans. Looking forward to meeting you all. bob

If you want to try fishing at BOLA, it would be wise to build in two days there as the wind can wipe out an entire day. If you get lucky and can get out the first day, so much the better.

At that time of year, no reservations needed anywhere.
bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 02:34 PM
BOLA fishing

From some of the previous posts about the winds of BOLA, I'm heading in at the first sign of a breeze. No mas Muerto Nomads..I'm not a nautical person although I do love to snorkel, but getting caught and driven out to sea is not beneficial. Remember, I am their LEADER...:spingrin:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 03:03 PM

Quote:

can't agree more. the rooms are great. kayaks on the river are included. best breakfast in baja waiting when you wake up. all for 200 pesos a head...

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by woody in ob]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 03:54 PM

Woody
When was that photo taken. The last time we were there they were cleaning all the growth from the river. Is that the new Yurt?
Cool.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 04:30 PM

this past june. i had the BEST sleep i've had in a long time on the way down. maybe the straight thru from s.d. had something to do with it, but i can't recommend enough!!!

there were four in our group so we actually slept closer to the kitchen in a bigger yurt than in the foto.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.