BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tuna woes, whos' fault?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 07:32 PM
Tuna woes, whos' fault?

Seems this year has ushered in a poor year overall for tuna. At least thats' the spin I'm hearing. I have also heard of some productive areas but it appears the typically reliable places have not been.

More than likely it is in parallel with a climatic cycle the scientists have assured us were now in.

But is it?

It's incredibly sad, the distruction of a biosphere. Lessons are taught but the "protectors" failed in learning anything.
Explotation of important element(s) can lead to a complete collapse as is evident in BOC. The element(s) most likely in this case, raping the seabed of shellfish.
The fear of tuna spieces declining looms and may in part be due of heavy baitfish pressure attributed to the tuna farms heavy demand and global temp shifts. They fatten the fish at an abnormal rate. Depletions of the bait stocks has a double edge, tuna will seek more bountiful waters intuitively or instinctively when fodder dwindles.

Replenishing stocks is a whole other story.
Seeing declining stocks recently may and I underline maysignal a problem of great signifigance.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:18 PM

Sure

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 08:27 PM

Here in San Diego the Tuna {Yellowfin} season this year was/is terrible. I just fished the Make A Wish tournament and hardly any tuna were weighed in. We have more bait offshore then most of us have ever seen, we should of had a banner year, it didnt happen. 100 miles or so to our south the seiners and super seiners were very busy wrapping huge Tuna schools. These are the schools that were making the trip north. Its not hard to connect the dots. IMHO.
Tuna farms in the area are feeding the Bluefin large amounts of sardines to fatten the fish up. I havent seen a decline in bait, as yet. We have been watching and waiting. I will say that when we roll through the Coronados during feeding time, we stop and watch the show. I cant help from screaming at the fish blowing up on the bait!
Last year a few BFT did get loose, and hung out around the Islands, made for some interesting fish reports.
The Striped Marlin season in S. Ca. is one of the best on record. I heard the Albies are thick off of Washington state @ 25-30 miles out. Our resident Black Seabass population is coming back strong, and the White seabass fishing has been great.
I dont know if the fish stocks are being depleted at a rate that cant be naturally replenished. I guess you have to ask if your talking about Pelagic fish or resident fish stocks. Pelagic, who knows what happens on the high seas? Resident fish, the population rises and falls be climate conditions, so who knows for sure. All I can give you is what I see on the water.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
Sure

.....another invaluble response.

WGARA would be much more appropriate.:rolleyes:
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 12:20 PM

Yup! :yes:
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 12:28 PM
how about...

WGAFF...something about flying:lol::lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.