Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dengue fever situation in La Paz ,East Cape and Northern BCS
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 04:19 PM
Dengue fever situation in La Paz ,East Cape and Northern BCS

We are leaving in 2 Weeks for BCS. I have had several third party e mails advising that there is a major outbreak of Dengue fever in the La Paz, East Cape and Los Cabos areas. I would greatly appreciate first hand advice if this is actually true. Advice concerning the presence or absence of a Dengue fever outbreak in more northerly locations in BCS would also be much appreciated!
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 04:57 PM

I am sorry to say that your resources are correct. My secretaries husband is with the fever, and was taken to the hospital in La Paz yesterday. I personaly know only a handful of people who have suffered from Dengue this season, still, there are a lot of people out there that I don't know. I see it as a problem, but not an epidemic.

I personally have not seen nor heard hide nor hair of a single mosquito since I have been home, already a week now. Usually, they like to hang in the darkness of my closet. So, I am assuming, this is because, I had the place closed up for weeks + running the a.c. all summer. I really don't know why, as I have not fumigated.

I understand that there has been a fair amount of fumigating in the last weeks since Marty. Also, I am seeing a lot of announcements on car windows to the affect of "Do something about Dengue, i.e. eliminate still water around the yard and fumigate. So, the locals are up in arms about the situation.

Would I still come down? Well, here I am, so, that answers that. I feel comfortable sleeping under a stand-up fan, but if you are worried, I suggest, mucho repellent, overhead and stand-up fan + mosquito netting.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 06:58 PM
Daytime bites only?

Eli, I've read that the kind of mosquitos that carry Dengue only bite during the DAY. So, sleeping under mosquito netting would only apply to daytime sleeping I guess.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 10:29 PM
I'd wait another month.

The weather will cool down and it'll be dry as a bone by then and the plague will likely die down till the next rainy season. It is definitely real though. I'm in touch with La Paz locals that are all very conscious that the threat of getting it is real.
Anonymous
Unregistered

thumbup.gif posted on 10-19-2003 at 06:50 AM

I am the original poster on this thread. Thanks Eli and Stephanie for your good advice. I am still interested to know how far north from La Paz that there is any Dengue fever outbreak. I had an e mail from Abraham Vasquez , the doctor in Bahia de los Angeles advising that there has been no Dengue there. Can anyone advise about Punta Chivato, Mulege or Loreto? Thanks in advance for any advice provided.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 08:08 AM
Dengue

Dengue is a serious issue anywhere from Santa Rosalia south. Mulege and Cabo Pulmo seemed to have the most cases and the hardest hit. All the beach communities have it going on and it was described to me by the Mexicans that it is an epidemic. El Centenario had been spraying for 2 days but there were a lot of mosquitos in spite of their spraying.
I actually felt relived this time when paying the 100 pesos for my car to be sprayed at the Ag stop north of Guerrero Negro.
There is a definate possibility of contracting Dengue if you are in these areas so if you are concerned, don't go just yet.
On the other hand, there was no shortage of kayaks, boats, campers and surfboards heading south. If you go, please take some repellant for the people down there as the stores have been out for a while now.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 08:11 AM
oops

Sorry, that was supposed to be 10 pesos for the spraying. I have been looking at things besides this moniter and seem to be out of practise.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 12:18 PM

Ski

We followed a red van up the mountains last weekend to El Rosario with a little honda behind. Was that you??

Bob and Susan:lol::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Baja Again
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 04:56 PM
This is really Ski Baja but again I have had a problem with passwords.

Nope, there are pictures of my van pulling a Mexican Army truck out of a stuck in Agua Verde at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum
I just returned from a trip to the mountains down there and will be posting pictures during the next few days.
I will also be going down in the next few weeks again to deliver goodies to the needy. Got any ?
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 06:15 PM

how 'bout a hint as to how to find that picture?
Baja Again
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 09:59 AM
Hints

Turn left at Villa Morelos. Bring extra gas!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 10:36 AM

I was in Cabo pulmo, Los frailes and vinorama yesterday......Hotter than Haiti and buggier than Fidel Castros office at the UN. Bring repellent and mosquito netting; I wouldn't want the little buggers sticking me while I slept even if they were carrying holy water.

I havent seen the desert so green and and full of insects in a long time. Beetles the size of kansas and an assortment of happy go lucky flying, crawling, slithering, jumping creatures weirder looking and more colorful than the participants at a gay pride parade.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Anonymous
Unregistered

biggrin.gif posted on 10-21-2003 at 12:12 PM
Greenery and creatures

Quote:

I havent seen the desert so green and and full of insects in a long time. Beetles the size of kansas and an assortment of happy go lucky flying, crawling, slithering, jumping creatures weirder looking and more colorful than the participants at a gay pride parade.

So Bajabus...........how 'bout some pictures??????
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 12:32 PM

Ok I'll try. I am on my way to punta pescadero (a?) just up from Los Barriles in the early AM. I will bring camera this time. I'll be a few days.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 09:17 PM
You want pictures?

Bugs from a week ago.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 09:23 PM
Bugs

And
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 09:25 PM
Bugs

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 09:42 PM
More Bugs

Howz about an agua dulce "bug" that is about 18" long.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 10:00 PM
Greenery

The Baja Desert
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 10:02 PM
Greenery

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.