BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Still on the hunt for the right Baja boat...what say you?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 03:54 PM
Still on the hunt for the right Baja boat...what say you?

The quest is on for a good fishing boat for the Cortez. Half the fun is the looking and research. I would like to hear some discussion on these boats. Pros/cons & observations. Your opinion is valued.

Here is a 26' panga center console with a diesel engine. You can get them with gas outboards or inboards, too. Very stable and dry in rough water, great economy, long range, open and easy to maintain. Plain Janes but half the price of some a lot shorter.

What do you think? Anybody had any experience on these boats?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 04:02 PM
No experience with that particular boat------

but it sure looks like a winner to me. My only problem with it is that it won't fit on top of my Callen Camper. Great lines, tho, and it looks tough.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 04:28 PM

I had a 22' Angler very similar to this boat in 1988-1991, bought in Key Largo. I beat the ----out of it off shore from southeast Florida and the keys.
I did quite a bit of fishing and tons of diving with up to 12 tanks and 6 divers. At the time, I had compared it to the 21' and 22' Macos, Aquasports, Wellcrafts. I found the boat to be a lot dryer than the Macos and Wellcrafts, lighter to trailer than the Aquasports and cheaper than all others I found. I ran it with a 200 outboard and was very pleased.
The T-Top was the only weak link. Either get a strong one or put your electronics etc in the console as the extra weight and vibration of the alum. T-top doesn't work well together.

For Baja, I would think the deisel might be a good choice due to fuel availability. Also, you will never blow-up a deisel or start a fire like gas.
However, if you like to beach the boat a lot, the outboard will come up farther, out of the way.

Have fun shopping !
Who says women are the only ones that like to shop ?? :lol:

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 04:31 PM
as far as looks go...

that boat is sweet,looks like you could get a couple buddies aboard comfortably and would handle some rough water...whats the price$$$$

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 04:35 PM
when it comes...

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

Have fun shopping !
Who says women are the only ones that like to shop ?? :lol:

to baja toys i think its usually the guy pushing around the shopping cart:lol::lol:

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 04:48 PM

BTW, I was a bit younger and crazier then so the Angler definitely took some big air off some big waves many times. It never went anywhere slowly except trolling. The only time it felt small was crossing the gulf stream to Bimini where the swells were over 20' tall !! I only sold it because I moved to Colorado for a few years.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 04:51 PM
Panga...

Yes, Diver, I had heard too about the standard T-top on some of these models. I will be looking at them closely. I rode in one and was impressed with the dryness and ease of moving around at speed through the chop. Not that I love going out in the stuff, but it happens often enough..especially coming back later in the day. With the rising price of gas and diesel, the economy of this small diesel engine is a real nice attraction. With an 81 gallon tank this baby will have a range of 400 miles and can cruise WOT at 34mph...burning 5-6 gals an hour. I figure a normal day's fishing around the areas I haunt will rack up maybe 60-70 miles. The boat is big enough to carry 4 large guys comfy, so the fuel bill gets small. Split up $30-$35 diesel 3-4 ways and it's an okay day. And lots of room for coolers, too. Plus check out the photo...that outdrive comes up above the keel. It's long enough to get the bow right up on the sand..only I will have to take some steps along to scramble in and out!

eetdrt88...there's a few used out there from 10K and up. The brand new models are in high 30's. I understand the diesel models hold their value pretty well. Wish I knew more about them, but that's what this post is all about...getting info on Baja boats. One thing, I know...they will handle our Cortez Chop. Take a look at one alongside a reg. 20' boat.

[Edited on 9-29-2005 by Pompano]

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 05:01 PM

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_details.jsp?entityid=13518...

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 05:46 PM

http://www.boattraderonline.com/adsearch/boatsearchprocess.h...
Sorry this didn't zero in on the angler you can.

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by comitan]

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 06:02 PM

Pompano,

Guessing that has the 1.7 Cummins /Mercruiser? 120 HP. Underpowered a bit if so. Got to fish around a box in the back and all that too. And outdrives, just another maintenance issue. If you like that boat get a 4 stroke Honda!
Plus, there aint no such thing as a dry 26 ft boat, especially a panga style.

Step up to the plate, get a Davis!

http://www.davisboats.com/sale.htm

How's the specklebelly flight?

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 06:52 PM

My Angler had a hull design somewhere between the two you show in your photo. Mine had a smoother hull rise and not as tall in the bow- this one will be much dryer than mine as it looks to have a bit more dead-rise and the rise is steeper on top). As I remember, we used the angled drill-through rod holders and added a screw from the inner fiberglass gunnel through the bottom of the holder tube. I also had a fold-in holder on each side of the console. Looked like outriggers with a couple of 7' rods hung out to slow troll.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 07:53 PM

Here's a shot of my 26' Aquasport with 300 outboard.
Motor was TOO big but a great boat !
The hull shape was ver similiar to the Anglers they were making then. The Angler was glassed a little lighter.
Tons of them in south Florida.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 09:10 PM

You've probably already seen it but here's a used Panga for sale. Don't know much about them though.

http://www.iboats.com/used_boats/boats--10/power_boats--100/...

And you'd just have to go to Puerto Rico to get it !! :lol:

Ever been to Walker's Cay ? What a place to fish out of !!!

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Diver]
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 09:52 PM

I saw this one at the Fred Hall show this year, awesome boats. I liked the hardtop versions. http://www.stabicraft.com/index.cfm/Showroom
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 10:20 PM
Skiff!

From the land of welded plate aluminum boats and skiffs.
If I was going to buy a another skiff this is it.

No nonsense, run it up on the beach, bounce it on a rock or two, last longer than us. Many options available.

http://www.pacificskiffs.com/pacific/index.php?module=pagema...

Good to hear the birds are around. Please wait to send them this way until December. Thanks!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 06:18 AM

UUUGGGGLLLYYYY!!!!:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 10:03 AM

Pompano

That Pacific w/ the Honda should be very economical to run. I don't think the boat would get hot, but the reflected sunlight would be terrible. I also like the Angler w/the desiel engine, I think the engine cover would be very small because it is a very small engine.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 11:01 AM

UUUGGGGLLLYYYY!!!!:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 11:08 AM

Does that aluminum boat come with tushy pads?

Upside is you wouldn't need a pan to fry the fish.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 11:10 AM
For Baja, I'd prefer a Honda

As Don Jorge pointed out, much more to go wrong on an outdrive. Plus, it's a Merc outdrive. Inferior to the Volvos.

The other consideration I have on the Anglers is the inside gunwale height. Seems like it might hit you at the knees or lower. I like above the knee, combing or no. This also means the flare of the bow has more surface to shed water further out from the boat.

That range is nice on the diesel, but wouldn't you be towing right past the Pemex every day after launching at the Serenidad? Not a huge issue. In fact, I'd rather carry less fuel to minimize weight.

Wish I had your dilemma..........I actually may be in your situation in about 2 years, but I will be shopping for a smaller skiff, probably no longer than 20 feet as we hope to live on the road for a year or so. Want to keep the towing weight under 3k, including trailer.

BTW, have to agree with Bob and Susan. That Pacific skiff is ONE UGLY BOAT!!! And I like aluminum boats!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.