Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 08:48 AM
Beercan, this is for you

"you must not read much"--beercan

Yeah, right. I don't read much.
Baja California on the right
Mexico on the left

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by bajalera]

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 09:02 AM

Here are a few more. The books down the hall and the wall of food-related and cooking books would probably be overkill, so I'm not including those.

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by bajalera]

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 09:31 AM

Wow Bajalera. Any chance you've got an extra copy of The Enchanted Vagabundo, written by Don Lamb, maybe written l937 Phil S.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 10:47 AM

Lera
You must love books as much as I do. Looks like you could start your own book business:smug:

frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 10:50 AM
Phil

Do you by chance mean "Enchanted Vagabonds"
by author Dana Lamb?

You can order that book online through Barnes & Noble

Publisher: Harper & Brothers
Publish date: 1938
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 11:05 AM

That is one cool book.
Those ladies sure were adventurers, werent they?

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 01:10 PM

I bow down to the literate. Boy do I feel left out. I know who the history buff on Baja is. Can you imagine the (huge) "political reference" he must have?
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 02:17 PM
Thanks lera,

looks like you may be close to me in the reading dept.
We're probably around the same age.

When I was in elementry school in Alabama, we only had a library truck that visited about once a week--! was the biggest user of books !! During high school in Arizona, the librarian and I got to be very good friends !!

Actually, I was referring to the thread and the adjacent one that quoted loony mom Cindy. Didn't intent any aspersions on your reading habits .

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 04:03 PM
Good grief maN

This is no place for civility!;D
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 04:17 PM

Always nice to meet another bibliophile, beercan.

But you may want to revise that age assessment. I'm older than Skeet, who claims to be older than dirt.

beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 05:05 PM
At 62 , I am younger than a lot of dirt.

But old enough and mean to hold my on in the dirt throwing here :lol::lol:a bouts !!!

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 09:30 PM

Lera, GREAT library shot! Wow... I have most of my Baja collection jammed into one bookcase... but there is some overflow of magazines and maps in another part of my home.

Those interested in older Baja books, we have a thread where I posted photos of many of the old guidebooks and some others... Here's the link to Part 1, of 5... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=5604

The Baja Cactus library collection is growing nicely and they will be available for research in the near future... in El Rosario. The custom bookcase is already in the motel's lobby.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 10:22 PM

1. Mexico left, Baja right, just like Lera!

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Always nice to meet another bibliophile, beercan.

But you may want to revise that age assessment. I'm older than Skeet, who claims to be older than dirt.

Alright, number 1. If your going to start using big words I'm done here. Number 2. Im 64, and I don't like any reference to dirt. Number 3. I don't like being humiliated with a gaudy picture of your books. Especially when all I have is one shelf, of which one half are fishing books about baja.

Maybe I could rent them from you. Just for picture taking and such.

Pretty impressive lera. Did You ever make a list of what you have or what you would recommend as mandatory reading?

Another, be still my heart. Jr and the word civil in the same sentence. The world is going to hell.......
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 10:03 AM
The Book Baseline

I, too, own a lot of books and I guess I could take some digital pics to join in on the one-up competition. In my case, I'd have to take photos in two different houses and two different garages. Is that legal ? What's the prize ?

Those are some impressive collections (quantity, anyway) and I'm sure that, like me, all of you have read at least part of each and every one of them. However, I'm not sure that owning books is an indicator of knowledge or intellect.

When I first came to Percebu, the only fulltime neighbor in the camp was just across the road from me, a retired Army Sergeant. His book collection was the most extensive I had ever seen and he continually added to it with each trip to the U.S., browsing one book store after another. Using that standard he was, no doubt, the SUPREME intellect.

Unfortunately, he was also a Crazy Loon. For fifteen years, I could look forward to his ramblings everyday I was in camp, except for those days he decided I was one of the enemy and avoided me. He finally went totally berserk in a dispute with the landlord and got into his truck one night and drove off, leaving his house, contents and other vehicles behind, never to be heard from again. His books are now distributed all over the camp, including our place. His house was finally bulldozed a number of years back. I wonder if he settled somewhere else and went back to volume book buying.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 10:11 AM
Something tells me Bill

that when you first moved to Percebu, Lera had already seen more of Baja and made more rural friends than any of us ever will. One of the advantages of being an adventuress with a professional adventuring husband.

She just happens to like books too.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 10:21 AM
And The Winner Is ..............................

Like I said, What's the prize for the winner of this competition that others seem so fascinated with winning ? A Bamboo chicken-coop ?

Heck, Lera probably has made more "rural" friends in Southern California than I have and I was born there. I could care less how many friends I make anywhere or isn't that evident ?

I guess if there are going to be added points for making friends and kissing babies, I have absolutely no chance of being competitive so I won't bother photographing my books. I'm devastated to be out of the running. Boo Hoo, Woe is Me.

p.s. The downside to having been around so long "adventuring" is that, statisically, I'm probably going to still be adventuring when the older sages are maggot bait.

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by MrBillM]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 10:32 AM
No prizes involved

I just think it's cool that some of us got to do the adventurin before the condos, tourists and suvs overran the place.
No need to get hostile there tough guy:biggrin:
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Like I said, What's the prize for the winner of this competition that others seem so fascinated with winning ? A Bamboo chicken-coop ?

Heck, Lera probably has made more "rural" friends in Southern California than I have and I was born there. I could care less how many friends I make anywhere or isn't that evident ?

I guess if there are going to be added points for making friends and kissing babies, I have absolutely no chance of being competitive so I won't bother photographing my books. I'm devastated to be out of the running. Boo Hoo, Woe is Me.

p.s. The downside to having been around so long "adventuring" is that, statisically, I'm probably going to still be adventuring when the older sages are maggot bait.

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by MrBillM]

One of my friends once asked me how I would like to be remembered. I replyed that I wanted my headstone to read
" He had a lot of friends "

I value my worth in life, not by money or things that I own,or places that I have been. I value it by the joy of having known so many wonderful people. People from whom I have derived who I'am as a person. Perhaps, never having a father or mother and being raised in catholic hotels makes me more appreciative of the affection of friends.

Im talking about people who give of themselves as a gift and expect nothing in return. I hope you haven't missed out on that Bill.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 11:44 AM

I'll trade you some books for the fedora on top of the bookshelf. What size is it?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.