Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Beercan, this is for you
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 11:54 AM
friends are different.

Most people count as friends those who are actually not.
Aquaintances are only that. Can you ask them for help and will they do it without question???

Guess I am like Mr Bill--plenty of reading but only about 2 hands of "real friends".

Try counting yours !!!

I told my family that I want "he was a Dad" on my tombstone!

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by beercan]

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 12:06 PM
Right on Beercan

Friendship takes years of practice, disagreements, shared times and knowing each others families and lives.

Friendship by no means comes from a faceless chatroom full of rumors, gossip, select "groups", great pictures and some real Baja information occasionally.

But, if you are in the market for new friends, I suppose it's a good place to start. Personally, our friends list is already all booked up. But it is usually enjoyable to make new acquaintances.
Especially since down here, the majority of folks are on vacation from whatever. This means they are either happy, drunk, or usually both.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 12:38 PM

Just so I'm not misunderstood. I was not refering to people on this board. I do not rule out the possibility that some could become friends, but Im refering to people who have become my friends through out my life.

Im sorry if your list is already full Jr. I wasn't applying, but I would hate to think the glass is full for you. I'm not looking for new friends Jr, but I'm sure I'll find a few more in my life. In the meantime, You'll have to do......
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 01:29 PM
Friends and mixed messages

Judging from how many "Mi casa es su casa" signs I see, you would think that Baja is one very friendly place.

However, most of these homes are built in walled/gated communities and have bars on the windows along with signs saying "beware of dog".

These home owners then complain when total strangers break in and help themselves.

Go figure.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 02:12 PM
Me too Den

And I certainly don't rule out new friends either. But, if you lived in a resort community you would understand how easy it would be for us to make new friends constantly.

These are not the kind of friends we are looking for.

And we have many that are already established. These are the kind we enjoy the most. We still have fun with or without drinking being involved. From what I've seen lately, this new breed is all about becoming as drunk as can be as fast as can be. Every day.

We stopped spending much time in Mulege about 1990 for the same reason. And don't get me wrong, I like a good A?ejo buzz as much as anyone, just not every single day.
We got old!:lol::lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 02:16 PM
And now

after hijacking a Baja related thread with boring non Baja related junk like friendships, let's get back to something interesting like who reads or has the most Baja books.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 02:50 PM

Yeah, it's amazing how some interpret socializing on a surface level. I have many many acquaintances that come and go. I find it very odd that some customers will approach me in a visit years later and remind me of the great time they had with us dining 4 years ago only I can't remember their 1 hour visit. No offense but we try to make ALL our customers feel like family. When they are there. Some actually get miffed if I can't recall their name tho I only, possibly, heard it 4 yrs ago. Silly tourists. Gotta love em. The real reason they come though is for the food...........and booze!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just like food, alcohol can be all too consuming. I have lost my best friend to alc and he's still alive. Speaking from experience I have to agree with JR,
the drug is hard on you and as age rears up so does the downside of heavy drinking.
Lots of tongue-in-cheek inuendo regarding this topic. Unfortunately what plays out after repetitive toasting of glasses may become detrimental in more ways than one.
Don't get me wrong tho, copping a buzz(one way or another) is mans' god given right. Some (buzzes) just come in bottles with an RX or a fancy label.

However hangin' with good folks sharing common ground together can be a good buzz too. Same with fishin', a great common denominator.

Moderation(but not at fishin'):lol: is the way!

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Sharksbaja]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 02:54 PM

Sorry Lera, I don't know how I arrived here at this point.:?: I always blame it on Den, it works fer me, THATS' what friends(oops I meant acquaintances are for:lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Sharksbaja]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 03:45 PM
Comi

Use your psych. experience and try to see that that was supposed to be funny. I thought it was cool that the two of them were being civil to each other.

And, I have to make an amendment, someone I have learned to respect and consider one of my best friends was made through this board. (Spending 10 days exploring the best hotels and hot spots on the Pacific side of Baja as well as some mountain mansions thrown in will definitely either speed the process of friendship up or make for a miserable time!) I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky in this case.

He also gives "sense of humor" lessons, just in case Comi or anyone else was looking.
But, he's wierd!:lol::lol::lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 05:46 PM
Missing Out

Bajaden, I don't think I've really missed out on anything in life, except for things which would have taken more money or effort than I was willing to expend. I've certainly had as many friends as I ever wished and some I might not have wished for.

Awhile back, I came across this essay by a blogger on friendship that reflects a lot of how I think on the subject.

Friendship
by Pieter J. Friedrich
8/5/03

Everyone calls himself a friend, but only a fool relies on it: nothing is commoner than the name, nothing rarer than the thing.--Jean de La Fontaine

I cannot count the times people I hardly know have referred to me as a "friend," or have written to me and signed their letters "your friend," or done some such thing. I have come to believe that, second only to "love," "friend" is the most misused word in the English language.

It is not my wish to offend or to hurt anyone who has, in the past, called himself my "friend," but merely to set them straight. There are a good many upstanding people...people whom I admire...who have called themselves "friends." Most of these are people who I enjoy spending time with and conversing with, but they are not friends. These people must learn to distinguish between "friendliness" and "friendship."

Whenever I tell someone that I have only a handful of friends, they're not entirely sure how to respond. The proper response would be hearty congratulations, for I have taken the advice of George Washington, who said, "Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation."

The word "friend" is one that is slung around often in this world, but very few people seem to know what it actually means. "Friend" is not a word to play fast and loose with, nor is it a term to be hastily applied to a person you happen to be acquainted with. "Friend" is a word to be used carefully, because "friends" are to be chosen very carefully.

"What is a friend?" ask Aristotle. He answers, "A single soul dwelling in two bodies." Your average acquaintance, however close and however interesting, does not share your soul. (A note here: when Aristotle uses the word "soul," I take it to mean shared natures, emotions, and affections, rather than the immortal soul.)

"A true friend," said British minister Robert South, "is the gift of God, and He only who made hearts can unite them!" Friends are rare, and one may live many years without finding even one true friend. Henry Home said, "The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." I count myself rich because I have found even one true friend worth dying for.

A true friend is more than just an interesting person to speak with for an hour or two so as to pass the time. Rather, a friend is someone to depend on, someone to lean on, someone who is (almost) necessary for life. In Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, we are told, "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

Real friendship is lasting. I know people who have spoken of their "school friends" who they forgot about when they graduated and began college or a career. These people were not real friends. "A friend loveth at all times," we are told in Proverbs 17:17a, and Saint Jerome said that, "The friendship that can cease has never been real."

Friends argue, friends offer correction, friends are even sometimes (wrongly) angry at each other...and these things are all natural and to be expected in a real friendship. The philosopher Hume said, "Truth springs from argument amongst friends." Indeed, argument is a positive facet of true friendship (Pro. 27:17) and correction from a friend is something to thank God for (Pro. 27:6a). And as Christians, friends can and must always forgive one another. C.S. Lewis writes, "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

Though friendship with unbelievers and evil people is discouraged (I Cor. 15:33), true friends are open with each other, and overlook one another's faults. Thoreau wrote, "True friendship can afford true knowledge. It does not depend on darkness and ignorance." Elbert Hubbard said, "Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you."

I said "overlook" but that's probably not the correct word. Rather, I should say "forgive." Moliere tells us, "The more we love our friends, the less we flatter them; it is by excusing nothing that pure love shows itself."

I said friends are open with one another. Writer George Eliot said it more eloquently than I ever could when she wrote, "Oh, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away."

It has been over a year-and-a-half since I made a new friend, and I am not only content with that, but happy for it. Old friends are the best. Thomas Jefferson wrote, "I find friendship to be like wine, raw when new, ripened with age, the true old man's milk and restorative cordial."

Walt Whitman spoke gospel truth when he said, "I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends."
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 07:11 PM
Mr. Gun totin Bill,

Anyone shot by you would truly deserve it!!!!! Bad people do not read things like that. That is awesome and you have my utmost respect for posting that and obviously believing in it.

Mr. Comi, protector of Baja boards, give me an example of where you see me doing whatever you are saying. I'm not sure about what you are talking about???

But, for as many times as I see you chime in regarding this, it should be very easy for you to find an example, rather than change the subject, call names, tell me about how I have messed up San Bartolo, or any of the other nonsense you come up with rather than providing examples of my ????.:light:

What a fun friggen thread! Thanks again Lera:bounce:
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 08:13 PM

It's great to see that this thread has gotten to the really important stuff. Like, what does JR think. Thank you.

Union thug.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 08:20 PM
J.R. thinks

that if it weren't for insecure, lifeless clowns chiming in without any point of view on anything besides worrying about what I think and say, there would be some pretty good conversations on here.
But heck darn, that would be asking for way too much from a chat room, wouldn't it?:light:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 08:22 PM

JR

There you go again talking to your self. I say louder I can hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 08:36 PM
I had to go back and reread

to realize you had deleted your usual idiotic accusations rather than backing up what you have to say. What a surprise.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 08:44 PM

JR.

Its like this, if I don't bother with you, you will make your own destiny.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 10:18 PM
Although you can be

somewhat of a bother, that's about it. Nothing compared to the bobos and sancudos in the hills .:light:

But, back on topic, how many books are in your library of Baja knowledge?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.