Author: Subject: Jeep cherokee
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

smile.gif posted on 10-3-2005 at 07:29 AM
Jeep cherokee

Does any one own a jeep cherokee?

will a cold air kit and a flowmaster help with mpg as it bull
need to carry a extra spare and spare gas , any one tried those thule racks the ones that fit on the roof ? and will they beat the roof to death going to gonzago bay or bola . or how about thoes racks that fit in the trailer hitch reciever ?i am new on the group and have only been to sf ensanada and rocky point and any help would be appreciated jimgrms:D
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 07:54 AM

as i am verycomputer challenged ,i screwed up i ment to say
does a cold air kit ,help with mpg and h p or is that just b/s, jimgrms:?:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 08:11 AM

jim, maybe say what year and engine in your Cherokee...? Mine was a '75 1/2 Chief with a 401 V-8...

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 05:45 PM

Jim, most add on devices and products don't help much if at all. Unless your a good mechanic or if you know one you trust I would say keep it stock. Certainly a flowmaster exhaust wouldn't hurt, as muffles are a common after-market replacement part. The roof racks work fine just be careful what you put up there. For off-highway lightweight stuff especially duffle bags are great. When ever you stop always make sure the stuff is secure.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 05:56 PM

After looking at the cold air intake unit being sold for jeeps on the web, my first impression is either it's BS or Jeep built a really poor design for it's stock air intake. Most vehicles usually have an air intake coming from the side well of the engine compartment not just the existing compartment air sucking in thru the filter. Second cold air may have more oxygen but cold air needs to be heated to burn correctly in an engine. You may see a slight improvement on a 100 degree day but it'll hurt you on the 60 degree days. IMHO.

[Edited on 10-4-2005 by TW]
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 07:38 PM
Hitch mounted rack

One of the vehicles with us last year through Calamajue Wash, then on to Gonzaga and San Felipe had one. It bounced alot! It did stay together. The real problem was that is sat so low that the bottom brace, the one that comes directly out (back?) from the receiver dragged on rocks all the time. If you stayed on the main dirt road that should not be a problem. From the way the thing vibrated I'd suggest you do the same for this rack as for the roof rack suggestion - lightweight stuff, clothes, sleeping bags, aluminum chairs - not the gas cans (empty ok) nor water jugs.

Guess you could say I wasn't impressed with it off-highway.

John M.

[Edited on 10-4-2005 by John M]
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 06:38 AM

I am a XJ guy, I have 93 4.0 auto, with a lot of work done to it. It was stock when I bought it. The thing about exhaust and intake it that it sounds so good it is tough to stay out of the go peddle. If you have the self control to stay out of it you will see some improvement in MPG. The open element filters available all suffer from the extreme under hood temperatures that XJs suffer from (can you say hot air intake). I do general mechanic work for a living, I am suggesting that my customers air up their tires to the suggest max on the tires, maybe us a lighter oil in lower mile cars, and most of all restrict the use of the loud peddle. My car got 21 mpg when I got it, by the time it went into its current rebuild it was getting 6mpg, maybe I am the wrong person to ask..I have used a receiver rack but with 7in lift and a bumper that put the receiver right up under the hatch it sat high. Look at Garvin racks or those made by warrior products. Mine is bolted to the roll cage and has been tested with twelve adults on it.

Geronimo
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 06:56 AM

That's what I'd call a heavy duty rack and having it bolted to the roll cage is a big plus. I've never used a receiver rack but I would think a good design for stability would be to have a smaller receiver coming from the frame rails on both sides thus giving you three connection points. That said, if it isn't high enough, dragging over stuff would concern me off road as John M noted.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 07:02 AM

A funny thing happened to me once with a roof rack. I owned a 72 Pinto with a factory roof rack. I purchased a couple of 16 inch truck wheels with tires mounted at a junk yard for my Ford van. I went to throw one wheel up on the roof rack and when I did the whole roof caved in. Couldn't take the weight. Lucky for me I pulled it off and was able to pop the roof back up.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 07:13 AM

thanks for the replys i kinda expected that about cold air as the jeep is in great shape , and i expect the road to gonzago is the worst i will do, i will just buy a basket for my thule rack and get some good shocks ,and should be good to go: wish i knew how to send photos i would post some of jeep it is a 2000 freedom edition ony 2000 or so made came with 16 in rims some comfort item's and upgraded suspension and the h,o 4 liter engine jim
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo
............. Mine is bolted to the roll cage and has been tested with twelve adults on it.

Geronimo

That's a hell of a way to treat your passengers, making them ride on top!!!:lol::lol:

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 04:39 PM

Jim, to post a pix it needs to be 50K or less. I use a scanner to scan the pix and save in my PC. Smaller is better when you crop the pix. Save as a jpg file works for me. When you want to post it here click reply and add comments then click the Browse button below and add your attachment from you PC file. I don't use a digital camera so I can't help there as far as file size goes.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.