Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Check out a new 4x4 coming to the USA---
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 02:17 PM
Check out a new 4x4 coming to the USA---

This vehicle (click on their site below) is called the CROSSLANDER and is coming to us from Romania, supposedly. Looks like a truly rugged vehicle-----interesting.

http://crosslander4x4.com/index.php
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 03:54 PM
Do ya think they'll include.....

a pair of hip boots for the BS?

"It?s been said that there are no shortcuts to places worth going. We say true, unless you own a Cross Lander.

The world of Cross Lander spells life without boundaries. It is a world where maps are not followed and rules are made to be broken. Cross Lander is a new kind of 4x4 whose body and soul are stamped from solid steel. Its suspension is rugged and unforgiving. It is today?s generation of muscle car, in a class all its own, that takes you far beyond driving the highways to where adventures are born and it?s all about survival of the fittest."
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 03:57 PM
I will be interested in the reviews

I think there may be suspension changes needed and driving off camber roads like San Carlos could be a little slippery with that tall body style.

Course that's solved by the mass quantity of Pacifico cases in the back.:light:

[Edited on 10/3/2005 by jrbaja]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:24 PM
JR--Neilmac

I found it strange that their only CA dealership is in Sacramento (so far)------not exactly the headquarters for 4-wheeling, as far as I know. It LOOKS great, but parts will be a big problem, I am guessing. I am going to watch these guys to see what happens. My poor old Trooper is getting decrepid.

Neilmac-----your attitude is showing :yes:
I prefer to wait and see-----but their choice of words in their "promotional" will sure upset the "green" folks, and was/is not wise.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:34 PM
Sacramento

is at the western end of the Mcinney/Rubicon trail if painted with a wide enough brush. Them thar hills have almost every condition you can encounter in a 4wd. Or snowmobile on some occasions:bounce: What a blast!!!!!

Don't take that Trooper on the San Carlos road if it's raining!:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:35 PM

The stated min. 7" of ground clearance does not warm my heart... My stock Tacoma has 9.5" min.

Sure looks like an older style Toyota Land Cruiser from the one photo...

Thanks for showing us something new from behind the (former) Iron Curtain...

Hey, is the Russian Lada Niva still made.... exported?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:38 PM
Ahhhhh, so true, and right in my backyard----

BUT, it is a long way from the southern deserts, and Baja, where I suspect most of the potential "buyers" are located.
Next time I get down to SACTO I will take a look, if they are in.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:43 PM
David, that's a really good

min. clearance on a stock Tacoma. How come you had to park it on the other side of the sand dunes and walk over them to the beach down there above Rosario?

I thought that's why we "adventurers" had 4wd.:O
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:45 PM
David-----

You got me----I never heard of that Russian vehicle.

I did not pick up on the 7" min ground clearence---your right, that is not too good, and it surprises me----it just does not look that low in the pics.

I am always on the lookout for a replacement for my Trooper, and I am having a hard time-----the 4-Runner is all that comes to mind, tho I have not looked at the new Jeep contribution this year. (can't think of the name) I want something closed in that I can sleep in, like on a platform.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 04:56 PM
It's a bit on the 'Ug-Lee' side, but...

Sorry...I was trying to 'reply' to the Cross Lander' thread and hit the wrong button...

it will probably have a 'cult type' following...if it indeed sells in the 'low 20K' range they speak about. If it catches on, there will be plenty of accessory add-on before you know it!

Look at those spartan type Yugo's...they were an 'anti-status' symbol till they rusted away in their driveways...due to no parts support, etc.

In the late 60's I bought a fast-back, two door, touring machine imported from Europe, called a 'Glas'...it had some BMW components with the body built by the Glas outfit. It had an OHC, four cylinder engine of BMW design, I believe and was a fun car to drive...of course they only brought one boat load of the things over to the US, and it was hell to pay for parts later on...ended up selling it to a guy that was really ga-ga over them, and got most of my $ back!

Then it was on to the the 1968, GT500KR, (428 CU) Shelby, Lime Green, ragtop Mustang...but that's another story for another day...and NO I don't still have that fine machine! I see where one just like it sold at auction for over 250K!!! Sometimes we just don't realize what we have at the time...Oh well, it was a really fun car to drive when we had it!

[Edited on 10-4-2005 by Mexray]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 05:14 PM
I'm talking about your other post

"Driving home from El Rosario, we saw a couple of roads head west towards that huge sand dune north of El Socorro... so we took one (4WD)... it came to the base of the dune and paralleled it going north..."

"I could hear the surf, so I climbed the dune for a look.... WOW!"

"I called down to Baja Angel to come see this... "

"While we were there, a couple of passenger cars (locals) drove by on the flat sand beach... otherwise, it was very unpopulated..."

Some on here will understand the use of having 4wd. Those that do would see a sand dune as a safe place to see if it worked rather than an obstacle to climb on foot.
The name of that particular dune is " The Widowmaker".:lol:
Good thing you played it safe.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 05:27 PM

The Widowmaker... near Mision Santa Maria... not bad going down, but the only way out, is back up this grade!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 05:30 PM
I guess it's all about desires

That is a well know dune area for off road and sand rails and ATV's.
If you wish to call them "virgen" sand dunes, that's very ecological of you.:lol:

Besides, you would have got stuck.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 06:35 PM

Can you say "Yugo"? Where's the specs? Vott kind fuel it zucks. blah? Interesting, but I'm not rushing out to be the first buyer. The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 06:46 PM
Errr uhhh Yeah

Virgen (Virgin) sand dune. Interesting concept. I guess if you were using half fast time, it would work. Because obviously no one was there a few minutes before you. Not a track. The wilds of Baja!:bounce::lol:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 06:51 PM

Worst example ever- the Panhard. Can Frogs make good cars? Yes, and bad ones too. One of the best I ever had- Peugeot 404 until the perverse SOB's pulled their dealerships and there were no parts. The Citroen? Most comfortable conveyence ever, like a motorized sofa- a plumber's nightmare of hydraulic hoses. The Deux Cheveux- 2CV- (2 HP Coasting Vigorously), one of the most interesting minimalist vehicles ever. Really a 4 wheel motorcycle with a roofing tin body and rubber band seats. Would I ever buy another French-made car? Maybe, but only if I decided to live in France, or possibly one of their colonies. One from a country formerly part of the USSR? Someday, maybe, a loooong time after they've been on the market.

PS, Renault= crap from the start, crap to the end.

[Edited on 10-4-2005 by Oso]

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 07:25 PM

It looks like they stole the design from Rover.

About 40 years ago.

[Edited on 10-4-2005 by Dave]

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 11:26 PM
Oso

Had a buddy years ago that was disabled and drove a Citroen so he could raise it up and down to help his entry/exit. Only problem was he got fewer miles per gallon of hydraulic fluid than he did engine oil in the smoke bomb! All of his 'friends' called that thing the 'Sh..throne' - an apt name for that real piece of s...!

Also, how can you forget those Renault Dalphin's that tried to make it here in the US, in the late 50's as I recall. Another real Frog 'winner' with engine in the rear if I recall correctly.

I never could figure out how a whole country's auto industry could turn out such out-of-step junk compared with the rest of the industrialized world???

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 08:13 AM

About a year ago, I had an opportunity to pick up an Itasca mini-moho for an incredibly low price. The body looked good, it had a nice aerodynamic shape and was just the right size. I almost went for it but for one detail. It was powered by Renault. In spite of misgivings, I contacted Itasca to find out about parts. There is ONE (1) distributor in the U.S. The Itasca guy suggested swapping out the mill, but that sounded like the cost would negate the bargain.

In defense of the Frogs, I will have to say there is an exception and that is Peugeot. As long as you're where you can get parts and mechanics who know how to work on them, they are very good cars, some models rivalling Mercedes in quality. But, being French, they still have to be perverse in details like placement of turn signals, etc.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 10:33 AM
Sacramento 244X dealer

It's called "Cars4Less" and is also a Daewoo dealer. Hmmm. I think I'll stick with my Ford pickup.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.