Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Festival San Bora?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

question.gif posted on 10-5-2005 at 05:41 AM
Festival San Bora?

Anyone remember which weekend in October the festival at the San Bora mission is? I'm assuming that on the festival weekend the mission would be open for tours? I think it was the first or second weekend of the month.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 07:13 AM

What activities etc goes on. I've been to the mission several times but a festival sounds exciting.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 07:34 AM
Day of the Dead

Its celebrated everywhere in Mex

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 03:36 PM
OCT. 10 [from the Lower California Guidebook]

Fiesta October 10: "San Francisco de Borja"

Local fiesta in the old mission of San Borja. Ranchers come in from the surrounding country to celebrate with fireworks, firewater, and music.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
DK personal note: Jose and family do not participate for religious reasons and are not keen on all the people coming there just to get loud and drunk... but it has been going on since before he made a home there...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 03:56 PM

Dk is the Benjaimin in the photo? He is such a neat kid.
Beautiful place
Fiestas are usually celebrated on the saints day of the name of the town. Was there a St. Francisco de Borja? does anyone know?

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 04:11 PM

I think that was his name, but really didn't converse with him... mostly to his dad, Jose Gerardo.
Here is Jose's daughter with my daughter Sarah... Her name is Brisa...

Here are more of Jose's kids... Sarah, and Bo's daughter Andee are in there too...

[Edited on 10-5-2005 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 06:43 PM

When I was last there over new years there was another young man (not in the picture) that gave me a tour of the area. He looked to be in his late teens with a lean build. I thought he was a son of the family.
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 07:08 PM
Fiesta de San Borja

This is an event celebrated annually here in Bahia up at the Mission San Borja, and it's for the Saint's Day of San Francisco...the Day of the Dead is in November and separate holiday.

People from town go up there to camp out and there is a Mass held there I believe as well. Food is available also, but many bring their own food and drinks. This year it falls on Saturday, Sunday and Monday for the festivities.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 08:06 PM

Hi Mia,

We'll be in town Oct 15,16 through the 22nd. Is the Festival/Fiesta on Sat the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd or 29th?

Please, drop by and have a cold one with us!!

As always,

Steve and Emma
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 08:38 PM
Hey Steve!

Yeah, the fiestas up there will take place this weekend; Saturday the 8th, Sunday the 9th, Monday the 10th. Most everyone is heading up early on Saturday, camping out, and returning Sunday. Might head out there Saturday in the afternoon. It's not too far from here!

See you down at your place. We'll definitely stop by.

-Mia
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2005 at 12:55 AM

Thanks Mia,

Have fun at the fiesta, take some pictures!

Steve
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2005 at 04:45 AM

Thanks Mia! I will miss it by a weekend. 2 years ago my friend and I took a fishing break on Thursday and drove to the mission - it was the day before the festival started and already there were about 50 campers with 2 bands playing music, umpteen boom boxes going full blast. Tecate had set up a large beer garden tent and we stopped for a fresh tamale lunch and a beer. In talking to the beerman he pointed to large delivery truck backed up to the rear of the bar - it was full of beer to within 3 feet of the top of the cargo area (maybe a dozen pallets) with a mattress on top. He said he slept on top at night to keep folks from stealing the beer and by Sunday his mattress would be on the bottom. We said we were thinking of spending the night and he hemmed and hawed and finaly said that Thursday would probably be Ok but we should leave before the hardcore party-ers showed the next day. We chickened-out and left but I've always wondered what I missed.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-6-2005 at 04:58 PM

The Lower California Guidebook, written first almost 50 years ago, was and remains a superior source of information. I highly recommend any students of BAJAOLOGY also known as BAJAOLOGISTS obtain a copy off the Internet used book sources.

c1956, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1967, 1970 ('64 and '70 were reprints of the prvious updated editions).

In 1975, Walt Wheelock updated the guidebook to include the new highway and other changes, and renamed it The Baja California Guidebook... It contained the same excellent historical data.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.