Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Donations
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 01:25 PM
Baja Donations

Since I have seen my donation program brought up again recently, by David K. and people that have absolutely nothing to do with it, I thought I would remind the oldies and inform the newbies of what it's all about.

It' not about me! Do you see me bringing it up? Nope, not unless I'm planning a trip. And then I ask for donations.

These trips are expensive so I like to have full loads to distribute, sometimes even a van and trailer load. They are distributed evenly amongst the most rural areas in Baja, where the people don't benefit from tourism and their gifts.

I take mostly school supplies, clothing, safety gear for woodcutters, medicines, tarps and things that are hard or impossible to get in the RURAL areas of Baja. I have been doing this for the last few years and have made a lot of friends on both the giving and receiving ends. I now take orders and have established donaters, including many Nomads.

My program has also established a "trade route" between the remote families on the peninsula. I trade mountain tamales and foods, for Fruits and vegetables, for seafood, in an established route covering most all of south Baja. Now that's cool!! And way fun !!:bounce:

I do not have a schedule for these trips and only make them as I can afford to. Antonio, at Baja Cactus offered to use his Motel to make it more convenient for people heading south to drop off things and me to pick them up. As far as I knew, this was working fine. I talked to Antonio two weeks ago and heard there were some baseball things to take down. Perfect! I have a good story about the baseball donations.

Nevertheless, this program has been running smoothly for years until recently, when a foreign tourist tried to get involved through a message board. Again I state, David K. has nothing to do with this program or Antonio telling me he would store the donations for when I travel.

Now, according to the meddler, things are being given away locally because ? ? ? and David K is insinuating he gave more than he did, and I am taking too long with my program that he knows nothing about.:lol::lol::lol:

Anyways, the program is ongoing, the donations are not for pueblos that have access to the Carretera or markets, and anyone that wishes to make donations, please contact me directly through u2u until I talk with Antonio to see if there is or isn't repellants, baseball equip., etc. still waiting in El Rosario. I don't have any trips planned for the immediate future.

And one more time I will stress, find room for a box or two of things to take south on your vacations, the more remote, the more things are needed but school supplies are always a good thing. And distribute them on your own if possible, it's really fun! Take pictures.:light:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 02:13 PM

JR is so right on!!
I have been taking stuff to folks down there for more years than I want to remember. Both in villages and at orphanages.
We usually prefer the orphanage scene becaue you have a better sense of control and responsibility, but that is just our personal preference.
JR turned us onto a really clean, orderly, and needy little home for kids outside of Maneadero. Easy (well fairly easy) to get to, and surely close to home for us Nortenos.
We plan to go back there a couple times in a few months, and our church is planning to take a group down next summer.
I am sure that he can post more specific info, but it is very worthy, and it surely is rewarding to help a place like this.
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 03:31 PM

Last Christmas some of our family members here in Canada decided that instead of exchanging gifts they would give us money, we would match that amount, and then give it to a family in need. They would have liked to have had pictures of the families. We did not do this as we felt a bit awkward. Firstly, not sure of how the families would react to this, and not wanting to offend anyone. Thoughts....:?: Is there an orphanage within a days drive of Todos?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 03:39 PM

Marie-rose

There is an orphanage in La Paz, A lot of La Paz people and yachties, have made contibutions of necessary items, and work. They always need help. It is located on the 5th of Febuary, next to the Big church. There is also a large print shop there that the proceeds go to the Orphanage. The following is another good organization for heping the children of La Paz, these are children from the Barrios of La Paz, and are very poor, and abused.http://www.lapazninos.org/monthly_reports.htm

[Edited on 10-8-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 03:57 PM

I bought a case (sealed) of repellant, gave to Antonio, who took it to the motel a year ago... last week he told me it was still there, jr... I also brought you a large bag of kids clothes and took it to your Rosarito mobile home... The next time, I was with and showed Doug where you lived with a van full of clothes from his family... I claim no other credit for anything brought or sent to you, okay?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 04:23 PM

Good I hope you two have that straight finally

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 05:15 PM
Very interesting David

Seems like they would have given it to me with the 5 cans. And who am I to go snooping around or ask for more. But now I know. OK cavrones, where's the rest of my chit?:lol::lol::lol:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 05:27 PM

And they still don't get it.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 05:31 PM
I wasn't going to say anything HoseA

as all donations whether large or small come from the heart, right David?

And with the many many cases of repellants received from others, I think we got the job done in many areas. Haven't heard of any Dengue recently anyways!

But, if anyone is heading through El Rosario before me, there is a case of repellants from David K.. that needs to get south. If someone is heading into the wilds, take it with you. If not, if you can get it to El Oasis in San Bartolo, I will make sure it gets into the areas most susceptible.Sp.:light:

PS, I actually think Hose A has contributed more than that but I don't take inventory.

Gracias.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 05:35 PM
Second posting on this

but maybe seeds are a better idea

today from El Univeral

Fruit seeds fight dengue

October 08, 2005

VERACRUZ Scientists in this Gulf coast city have discovered that seeds from the tropical fruit guanabana are a powerful insecticide against the mosquito responsible for transmitting the dengue virus, even eliminating the insect's larvae.

"This bio-insecticide not only is more effective than the traditional pesticides, but also is light resistant and less harmful to the environment," researchers at the University of Veracruz told EFE Thursday.

Molecular biologist Veronica Dom?nguez said this natural insecticide to be used against the Aedes aegypti mosquito that transmits the dengue virus could be used to control dengue outbreaks worldwide.

After several tests of natural extracts and store-bought chemical insecticides, the researchers found that the seeds of the guanabana a fruit with a hard, green skin and white, juicy pulp contained the lethal agent.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), two-fifths of the world's population are at risk of dengue infection and more than 100 countries have been hit by classic or hemorrhagic dengue outbreaks.

The WHO estimates that some 50 million people come down with classic and hemorrhagic dengue fever each year. A total of 500,000 are hospitalized with the disease and 20,000 die annually.

Dom?nguez said one of the main problems in fighting the spread of dengue is the resistance that the Aedes aegypti mosquito has developed to traditional pesticides, as well as its rapid adaptation to different environments.

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 05:35 PM

Bragging and Belittling.......
Doesn't accomplish squat.

Foreign Tourist? Not only Redundant but also Repugnant.

Way too many "I", "ME" and "MY" in all of these posts.

Offering assistance from the goodness of ones heart shouldn't require magnanimous accolades.

Bedman
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-8-2005 at 05:48 PM
Oh Brother!!!

Cancel any donations from the Nomads. It just plain ol ain't worth it!!
Between those people who claim it's for fame, or they were going to donate but, or this that or the other thing, what a royal pain in the ass some of you truly are!

Besides, the people that have donated do it because they know there is a need. That's it. And I am able to deliver to these places. That's also it.

Have you donated Bedman or are you just a typical Nomad looking for something to whine about? Otherwise, mind yer own beezwax.:light:
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 05:56 PM

JR.....Are you SURE you want to have this conversation in the OPEN ?
Don't Even attempt to Bait me. I'll bury you.

I have the Cancelled Checks, written to you, if you have forgotten so quickly.

Bedman
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my edit, nothing else was changed.

Incidentally, my Original post wasn't directed to any ONE of the posters on this thread. Only, If the shoe fits.

Bedman

[Edited on 10-9-2005 by Bedman]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 06:33 PM

Please! Please!
Please do not make this into a fight.
Remmember that those things you give to the Poor kids are an Act of Kindness and Mercy.
If you want to give and lear, go to theoutlying Areas and Give of Yourself, do not depend on others, learn some Spanish, you will be amazed at the TrueFriends you will make.

Please All of you Put aside your differences and go Forward with a Change of Kindness, Hope and Faith for the Act of giving.

It is amazing what can be accomplished when you do not have to have Credit for those things Done!!!!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Cancel any donations from the Nomads. It just plain ol ain't worth it!!
Between those people who claim it's for fame, or they were going to donate but, or this that or the other thing, what a royal pain in the burro some of you truly are!

Besides, the people that have donated do it because they know there is a need. That's it. And I am able to deliver to these places. That's also it.

Have you donated Bedman or are you just a typical Nomad looking for something to whine about? Otherwise, mind yer own beezwax.:light:

don't lump us all in to one grope. we Nomads are a diverse grope of people

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 08:27 PM

Well said Bruce, but I think you may have meant to say "group"? I'm pretty sure you know what "grope" means?!(as in , like ,with your hands).

[Edited on 10-9-2005 by Sallysouth]

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 09:06 PM
It just get's tiring after enough

and I've had enough. I could care less about fame or promoting myself regarding donations or anything else on here. I have true friends and certainly am not looking for new ones or credit on a message board. But it always seems to turn into that.

I feel that since so many people have taught me so much down here, and shared their lives with me, I would try and see what I could do to help them out. I have truly enjoyed it, everyone knows where the things come from, (very little from me comparatively speaking) and hopefully, those who have donated have enjoyed the pictures and stories from the trips.

One thing I can guarantee is, we have made a difference in a lot of peoples lives. This is good and they really appreciate it.

I do realize that on here anything and everything can and usually does get blown all out of proportion, 9 times out of ten because of a stupid statement either made by me or someone else. Let's stop this right here because when it comes to helping people, there is really nothing to argue about.

I hope everyone does what they can for these wonderful people who go way out of their way to accomodate us.

And washboard is more fun to argue about anyway. It's like being on it when yer not!:lol::lol::lol:

And Bruce, I most certainly don't lump all Nomads into one group, some of you are awesome. I'm just running out of ink on my CCG stamp.;D
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 09:18 PM
Bedman

Did you make checks out to me and then cancel them? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Seems like you sent donations but again, they wouldn't have been made out to me but someone with an account in the states.

Please refresh my memory. Thanks.

I have nothing to hide so whatever it is you want to bring into the open, bring it.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 09:57 PM

I think Bedman is saying it's better to "walk the walk" instead of "talking the talk"...enough already. I think we all give to the needy whether it's the poor in Baja or the needy in Timbuktu...no need to keep spouting off about who gave what or whatever....

if you want to start a peeing match, draw your line in the sand and invite your Nomads to drink some Ballenas with you, and go for it.

This whole JR gang vs. DK gang gets really old....

Zac

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 10:08 PM

Jr, I have been a reluctant fan of yours. Sometimes its hard swallow the crap you put out. I have no doubt that you have the best intentions in your heart, but what comes out of your mouth is a detriment. I have friends who have given time and money and whatever else they have or can afford, without saying a word to anyone about it.

I realize that when your trying to orginize a large group of donations, you need plublicity. You need for people to know where to go. PLEASE!!!!! For Gods sake, leave it at that. Can't you just once do something without taking a shot at someone. I don't know what the beef is between you and David K, nor do I care.

Sometimes Jr, your, your own worst enemy. I guess old habits die hard. Keep doing the good work, and forget to tell people what you've done. Your reward will come later.

By the way, what Bruce said is worth thinking about. When you throw a bomb at someone and accidently hit a bunch of innocent people, saying, Gee, I really didn't mean to hit them, just doesn't cut it.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.