Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: White knuckles?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:29 PM
White knuckles?

What you get when you pass a semi coming the other way in the dark on a narrow bridge on Hwy 1 at 70 mph.

I have seen people literally stop right in the middle of the road out of fright. Some folks don't have the skills necessary for Baja driving. Particularily, old farts who roll out the motor home once ore twice a year. They tow all that crap around, hardly using half of it, and wheen they do, it's a half-day affair loading and unloading it.
Many times while following these wide loads one will see the tires precariously close to the edge.
Quite frankly, the huevos or ignorance some of these "weekend-warriors" possess kills me. Hopefully not literally.

I think anyone over 65 should be DMV certified for large RVs.

One thing is for sure. They never break the speed limit.......no matter where the hell they are. SCARY!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:37 PM

Sacrificial side mirrors should be standard equipment on any Baja rig. :biggrin:

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:38 PM

Sharks

I'm at a loss for words so.:mad::moon::mad::moon::mad::moon:

As Bruce would say you can't put everyone in the same grope.

:mad::moon::mad::moon::mad::moon::mad:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:42 PM

I've sacrificed a couple, rule of thumb; no paint swapped, no need to stop.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:45 PM

Comi
I like your flashing, smiling, snarling, butts.

[Edited on 10-9-2005 by bajajudy]

Dave
Elite Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:49 PM
True Cojones!

Ever sacrificed one on the passenger side? :P

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:50 PM

I haven't tried that one yet Dave.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:53 PM

Yes Dave and the louvres on the camper window.

Note: Glass company in Guerro Negro changed it out in less than an hour to a slider.

[Edited on 10-9-2005 by comitan]

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucker
I haven't tried that one yet Dave.

Amateur. :biggrin:

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Sharks

I'm at a loss for words so.:mad::moon::mad::moon::mad::moon:

As Bruce would say you can't put everyone in the same grope.

:mad::moon::mad::moon::mad::moon::mad:

:lol:Well, you could always downshift...if you have a slower gear.

and quit groping:lol:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 01:33 PM

Well sharks I'm over 70 and still do not have a slower gear. the faster you go when you meet the big trucks the faster they are gone. If I said anything more it would be political, something like an over abundance of government power. On _On_On.

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 01:37 PM

I hate being groped on the highway at night. Having driven 16 wheelers and large box vans for a good portion of my life, I can honestly say it doesn't bother me. There's more room than a lot of people think. However, my wife does not share my view. More than her knuckles are white.

I'll tell you my greatest fear. Its having a flat out there in the dark and no shoulder to pull over on.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 02:20 PM

Gee sorry Comi, it must bug the hell outta ya when statements like what I said put you in a "grope". Our Hwy 101 is overrun by "weekend-warriors" all summer long and the locals are constantly b-tchin' and moanin' about all the older folks and their RVing habits. They drive our distributors crazy.
I do understand why you feel "goped" however. My 80 yr old dad would race along the river here at 70 mph ALL THE TIME, and these roads really suck! I wouldn't want him driving a huge motor home once a year tho down Baja that's for sure. He'd probably do fine but some people are much better drivers than others, at any age. Look at the Japanese!:lol::lol:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
but some people are much better drivers than others, at any age. Look at the Japanese!:lol::lol:

Now you know how to get to me. I don't age easily!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 02:58 PM

Its that rush of adrenaline that keeps me smiling! The only time Im scared is when I reach a couple of bicycle riders pedaling down the road.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 07:43 PM
No Room

Back in 1958-59, my dad and I went down to Ensenada to fish with a guy he had met who owned a house there. Driving down the old TJ-Ensenada road in his BIG Chevy Impala Wagon, he gave us some sage advice regarding the continual number of Cotton trucks we would encounter on the road. He said to never drive on to a bridge at the same time as they did because they took up most of the road and wouldn't budge.

Returning at night after three days of fishing (and other things), he came up on a bridge and there was one of those cotton trucks approaching. He said "I think we can make it". We didn't. The truck didn't budge and he tore [Hell] out of the passenger side of the Impala. He didn't even cuss, except at himself for doing something REALLY stupid.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 09:07 PM

Mr. Shark,
What are you doing driving at night in baja on a bridge at 70 mph?

If there are any older folks out and about in their motorhomes at that time of night doing the same, then good for them! At least they're not at home feeling sorry for themselves or rotting behind their computer screens dreaming about adventure.

Think of it this way, It's good for your butt cheek muscles. Squeeze them tight, hold your breath, grip that stearing wheel, smile and be happy that others are out enjoying life on the wild side just as you are.

I'm more afraid of having a flat without a shoulder or passing bicycles as previously stated than motorhomes or big rigs in tight spaces. It's usually the air cushion that keeps us apart anyway.

Life in baja good. Tight spaces, tight lines, tight butt cheeks, you get the picture....

P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2005 at 11:18 PM
Drivng at night

Actually the "white knuckle thing happens at 50 mph too. Haven't lost a mirror yet but real close a couple of times. As far as going 70 at night.....not usually but I've been known to drive the carrera at night with BIG lights blazing. I don't like it particularily but I am pretty confident, just like Comitan.;) I do watch the semi trucks with more anticipation when they near.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 01:17 AM

Sharks,

I drive a motorhome, I'm a little older than some and younger than others. Last year I put over 25,000 miles on that motorhome and no scratches. I put another 35,000 on my pick up and no scratches there either......add last year to the previous 40 years of driving and you'll come up with 2,500,000 miles give or take. No accidents in that time. The few years befor that...well.....Let's just say I had my share of scrapes and bumps. I'm not afraid of the old geezers.......it's the kids that scare the crap out of me.

Do you really think Motorhomes are all driven by BAD drivers? :lol::fire:

Bedman
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 07:06 AM

My coach is 102" wide, the road in Baja is 114" wide. This leave me with 12" to play with. When I've got an on-coming truck I give him the whole 12"! It's either that or lose one of my mirrors. I know how wide my coach is and can (and do) hang one of my rear duals off the pavement occasionally without dropping off.

Hugging the pavement edge is not poor driving, just the opposite, it's knowing your rig and driving defensively. Can you do that in your car for 1000 miles?

I'm a Full-Timer; that means my RV is my home so everything I own is in my coach. I do not haul a bunch of useless junk around, you don't have room for junk in an RV.

I obey the speed limit! The roads would be a lot safer if everyone would. Yes I've been known to slow down when I've got a big truck coming at me around a curve but that's only good sense.

Just where are you going that's so important that it requires you to ignore the speed limit? Slow down and enjoy life!!

I've seen a few big RV's over the bank, but I've seen a lot more big semi's in the ditch.

I've driven through 7 nations (2 on the 'wrong' side of the road) and haven't put a dent in any of my rigs. A lot of scratches from brush and trees but nothing from another vehicle.

I think that's pretty good for an old fart.

If they want to retest me, fine. I'll obey the laws. Until then, to paraphrase someone, the only way they'll get my drivers license is out of my cold, dead hand; and that will probably be in bed!

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.