Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: White knuckles?
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 10:33 AM

Ditto's, Tortuga.....

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 10:43 AM

No, and I never said as much. I'm glad you are a great driver and obviously a seasoned vet. Some are not as great and they break out the toys once a year and pretend they're experts. Same goes for lots of rec stuff. Plenty of accidents to go along with the fun. Believe me, I like playin' too.
It does but seem most the motorhomes are driven by seniors. Inasmuch, I have seen more than a couple motorhome wrecks in Baja. Who was driving or how old they were I don't know. I do know I have been reduced to following the (slow) leader occasionally when the "clubs" follow one another down the carrera.
I'm sure that kids are proportionally more risky than seniors per se but I was commenting on the "week-end warrior" and the sometimes scary passing of trucks on Baja Hwy 1. Do you drive the route?
I feel everyone should have driving exam every ten years or so. Maybe what I said earlier would be better solved this way. I really can't say at what age someone should be restricted but things can change in 10 or so years dramatically, especially when it comes to visual perception
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 10:54 AM

Sharks

I'm feeling better now that you are backing off on the age thing, I know a fellow here in La Paz that is 85 years young and drives to the states 4-5 times a year.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 11:03 AM

WOW! Now that's the kind of driving we like. I just measured my mirror to mirror width. Is that what you measure. I come up with 97"-98". I can imagine you can feel smell the sweaty truck driver as he passes next to you. I can hang half a tire over the edge too:lol: that's part of why I have these huge tires. Shouldn't you call yerself "Turtleandahair"
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 12:26 PM

Tortugaandahare. Sounds like the next Islamic leader. No jahid jokes please.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 08:22 PM

Sharks

"Do you drive the route?"

Yup, My first trip was 1967, long dusty drive back then and no Motorhome. We could barely afford the gas then....at....uh?? stateside .24 cents a gallon? Let alone a (God forbid) gas sucking motorhome. We made a couple trips a year and several to San Felipe. That was before SF had paved roads , before the arches, before the Toutuava ban, before SF population had hit 300. As the years passed and #1 got pavement we travelled a little more each year. Last year, I think we made 7 or 8 trips. Hmmm..is the Clam Man still in SF?

Bedman
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 09:57 PM

The Clam Man? Boy, you are really old, Bedman. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have read about him.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only time I had a problem with a truck was a little joke played on this old Gringo: I was headed to El Marmol on that good graded road and some workers in a flatbed truck, grinning like hell, pulled into the center of the road to play chicken with me. I thought it was funny, so I aimed the Toyota toward the boonies and threw up my hands. They gave me thumbs up as they passed. I think it was thumbs......

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 10:19 PM

The Clam Man was quite visible in San Felipe in the late 1970's... His restaurant/ clam shop was along the right side of the highway as it enterd town. Cruz Guerrero (The Clam Man) would sit in a barber chair at his place and wave to everyone arriving into town... the official greeter maybe... I remember waving back to him. His truck had a big sand dollar painted on its side with his slogan, "My Clams Make You Horny" !

This photo is from Greg Niemann's excellent book 'Baja Legends' c2002 by Sunbelt Publications.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 11:44 PM

That's the Guy!! LOL...I had forgotten about his "Horny" sign. Too Funny!!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2005 at 11:46 PM

I think he lives in Newport OR. or was that Newport Beach, CA.:lol: Our oysters will make you big-time horny.:bounce::tumble::wow:;D

[Edited on 10-11-2005 by Sharksbaja]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.