Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Captain for 40ft Sailboat
Naomi

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 10:43 AM
Captain for 40ft Sailboat

Do any of you know of a Captain I can contact to sail my boat from Santa Rosalia to La Paz departing November 14th?

This sailboat does NOT have a motor, so I need an experianced Captain that can sail in/out of ports without a motor.

The boat also has an autohelm, so experiance with that would be a plus.

Please let me know if you know of anybody... Thanks so much!!!!!

Naomi
;)
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 11:32 AM
For Naomi..on sailing your boat to La Paz

I know several blue-water sailors at the marinas in La Paz, but this would be a good place to check with in San Diego.

http://www.downwindmarine.com/
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 11:36 AM
more capitanos here.....

Naomi......You might also post your notice at this marina...talk to Mary if she is still there.

http://www.marinadelapaz.com/
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 02:59 PM
try here

hola Naomi

Did you try posting your question here:

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/cortez/index.cgi

good luck

~gringorio

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2005 at 08:36 PM

If interested I would have lots of questions:

How is it rigged? Sloop, Ketch or Yawl (ideal).

Adequate ground tackle?

Tonnage, draft and keel shape.

Full complement of sails (in working order).

At least one or two experienced crew.

The autohelm is the least of your problems (and without a auxiliary would drain a battery in no time flat). Most modern boats are not designed to sail in close quarters. Even fewer skippers are capable. Your best bet is to find an experienced sailor to sail point to point and tow out and in. Even then, I would warn the harbor master so's everybody can run and hide. ;)

Please post a picture or tell us what kind of boat. I'd like to know why it has an autohelm but not an auxiliary.

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by Dave]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 06:42 AM

I would be available to help you on those dates. I hate motors and always sailed in and out of ports. but like Dave I always survey a boat before I commit to a job

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Naomi

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 09:47 AM

Thank you so much for responding to my post? You have a lot of interesting questions, not all of which I have the answer to.

My father started building it in 1971 and finished it in 1979. I?m not quite sure of the tonnage, but I think it should say on the pink slip. My father passed away the end of August in Punta Priete while on his way back from the states. I?ve inherited the boat (grew up on it in Marina Del Rey, CA) and need to get it back to La Paz for his memorial service preferably by November 18th.

All sails are in working order (he had just sailed it up to Santa Rosalia before his death). I?m not sure what ground tackle is?

What are ?close quarters?? I know that he?s sailed this boat up and down the coast of mexico, and even to Guadalupe Island several times? I don?t think I would call the boat ?modern?.

I can't figure out how to post a picture here, but a picture of the boat can be found at www.bestwagnerfamily.com/jeffpics

Again, thanks for your reply?s! Any help you can give me is MUCH appreciated!!!

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by Naomi]
Naomi

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 09:56 AM

Okay... I've got some info for you...

It's cutter rigged. 14 tons. 8.5 Depth. 6 1/2 foot draft. I'm not sure about the keel shape, you can kind of tell in the picture. We don't have a wind vain, it's on our list of things to get, but we never got around to it. It has a ferrous cement hull.

We have solar power while sailling and a generator.

We have 3 outboards and two dinghy's.
- 5 horse
- 18 horse
- 25 horse

Thanks!!!
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 10:07 AM

You might try Laura Tritch, Santa Barbara Harbor. She's an experienced Captain with good credentials, and a 500-ton license.

Here's a little bit of a bio from Boatus.com

Among these teachers is Capt. Laura Tritch, who holds a U.S. Coast Guard 500-ton masters/ocean license, one of only three women in California who have this certificate. Tritch, who lives aboard her own sailboat in Santa Barbara, is currently the paid, full-time captain on a sleek, well-oiled yacht machine, a 65-foot Azimut named Lady Angelina.She's in charge of everything on the boat, from maintenance and engine repair to taking its owner on three-month cruises up and down the West Coast.

She's good, and she might have the time to help you out.

I do have her contact number. If you want it send me a U2U. I don't come to this Forum often, but I'll pay attention over the next couple of days to see if you want to follow up with this.

Naomi

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 01:24 PM

Thanks!

I emailed them!!
Naomi

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 02:41 PM

Hey everybody!! I found a Captain!! An old friend of my Dad's down in La Paz is gonna do it! I appreciate the info/help you guys have given me!! I'll keep all the info in case I need to do this again!

:tumble:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 03:33 PM

Hey, congratulations on a quick find. Who is the lucky skipper? Might his intitials end in 'G'? If so, he is an accomplished sailor..and stinkpotter, too.
Naomi

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 03:40 PM

His name is Fernando... I'm not sure what his last name is.

:cool:
BahaP_J

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 01:05 AM

I have sailed that stretch many times in my own 40 fot Benetou, which is a very fast boat compaired to a cement boat. I think you need to allow more time for your trip as that boat will be fairly slow sailing againt the wind. The entrance to La Paz harbour is faily narrow and having to tack back and forth in a narrow chanel and without the help of power will be very tricky for even the best of sailers. I would recomend you arrange for a tow for that part of the trip.

Joe

2004 Mandalay 40D
4X4 tracker Toad
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 01:14 AM

" having to tack back and forth in a narrow chanel and without the help of power"

This doesn't make sense. He wouldn't be tacking back and forth if he had power. :light:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 04:13 AM

Indeed, the boat does not have a propped engine. Which is very unusual for a classic cutter, but typical of home-built ferro-cement hulls.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 06:46 AM

good sailors don't need an engine for anything. that is what sailing is all about.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Naomi

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
good sailors don't need an engine for anything. that is what sailing is all about.

Said like a true sailor!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 11:37 AM
Against the wind from

Santa Rosalia to La Paz ?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

Sure... whatever you say!
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.